Feeding Stations

1/8" is to small. Most LFSs stock plastic tubing. Home Depot sells rigid PVC tubing that is used to connect sinks to the water supply. It is very cheap, but not clear.

Going to build one of these today. Looks like a great idea. There are few things cooler than a mating pair of pipefish!

If you put the bring shrimp in through the funnel, how do you get them to the bottom of the feeder? Do they just all go down?
Doesn't the water just overflow... This seems so simple, yet I am so confused.

Sorry, new to the hobby and trying to learn.

Wash them down with a little water. As long as you displace the water in the tube with an equal or greater amount if water, the weight of the new water plus gravity will pull it down until it is equal to the tank water level.

excellent work sir! :)

fwiw-for anyone using the stand alone bs hatchery, or any clear container...

after hatching, the artemia cyst/egg shells float. you can simply shine a penlight flashlight from the bottom/side of the container pointing up-the nauplii will swim downwards towards the light point source, where you can then siphon them out w/ airline tubing, leaving the shells up top :)

just wanted to share a picture of another satisfied customer. :)

IMAG0179.jpg

Hi all,

I'm about to pick up a BBS hatchery based on Paul's design. A local acrylic builder was kind enough to put one together for me.

I'll add pics when I get it, but in the meantime I thought I'd add a pic of a copperband butterfly feeder I made out of some PVC fittings, zip ties and a Koralia magnet. I think the design was someone else's on here but don't remember the thread.

Attachments

• CBB and feeder.JPG
    CBB and feeder.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 0
I hatch them every day and seperate the shells in here
Hatchery002.jpg

So you just use this to separate the BBS from the shells? I'm assuming you hatch them in one of the upsidedown 2L contraptions they sell in the store?

How far down is the hole that you allow the BBS to swim through after opening the gate or doesn't it really matter? It looks like it's about half way down?

Great search feature on this website! I am reading today a year after the post... and am so happy with this information!! Step by step instruction on how to create a feeding station. I started this hobby 15 years ago to keep a mandarin fish that I saw at a public aquarium... and built my tank around them. However he would eat my pods quicker then they reproduced.. he did take frozen food however my larger fish would out compete him. After one died after only 1+ years.. I didn't replace him... b/c it was cruel. NOW as I am building a 75 gallon he is my centerpiece and I am researching to ensure his feeding habits can be met and I finally found my answer. I now am being greedy but want a male / female pair.

OK a few more questions...
* What is the best method to hatch brine shrimp? any advice / pictures?
* What is the best way to grow pods? My 50 gallon is 15 years old.. and is fallow for now ridding an ich outbreak. What can I do now to grow my pod family?
* I have a yellow goby 3 years old in QT now - I purchased after my failed attempts w/ the mandarin. Will they be able to cohabitate? I would never have purchased another bottom dweller to compete with my mandarin but with the feeding station will this work?

* What is the best method to hatch brine shrimp? any advice / pictures?

In that thing I built 6" above this post. Any seawater, even old tank water.

I collect them but you need some pods from anywhere. You probably stil have some in there or you need to get some sand from some ones tank. Just throw some pellets in there every day , pods will grow as long as you don't keep the tank to sterile.

If it's a yellow clown gobi he won't eat from the feeder. I feed them live worms like I feed all my fish. They will thrive and even spawn on worms, mine spawn at least once a week. With most other foods, they will croak. They will also eat small pieces of clam and sometimes small mysis.

In that thing I built 6" above this post. Any seawater, even old tank water.

I collect them but you need some pods from anywhere. You probably stil have some in there or you need to get some sand from some ones tank. Just throw some pellets in there every day , pods will grow as long as you don't keep the tank to sterile.

If it's a yellow clown gobi he won't eat from the feeder. I feed them live worms like I feed all my fish. They will thrive and even spawn on worms, mine spawn at least once a week. With most other foods, they will croak. They will also eat small pieces of clam and sometimes small mysis.

Very cool idea paul. Thanks for sharing it. What kind of worms do you feed?

Can I ask a stupid question? How do you actually get the BBS down the tube into the feeder? I would think that when the feeder is at the bottom of the tank, the water pressure would push water up the tube to the height of the top of the tank. Do you just add the brine to that and let them swim down the tube into the feeder or is there some other way you're pushing them to their destination?

I wonder if this can work with decapsulated eggs. It would be so nice if they can hatch at 1.025sg and so convenient. just poor a ton in and wait.

Can I ask a stupid question? How do you actually get the BBS down the tube into the feeder? I would think that when the feeder is at the bottom of the tank,
A lot of people ask me that question so I guess it is confusing. I drain the water and new born shrimp from the feeder into a baby brine shrimp sieve. Then I squirt a little water in it and quickly pour the shrimp into a small amount of water, about a tablespoon. I then use one of these (pictured) and squirt that small amount of water with the shrimp into the feeder tube immediately followed by another tablespoon of water that pushes all the shrimp down the tube into the feeder. You don't want to put to much water into the feeder or it would push all the shrimp through the mesh and out of the feeder at once.
trust me it works as I do it twice a day.
I hatch them in old tank water as they don't seem to care how they hatch and never asked to see the hydrometer.

Back