Filter socks, what rate do you change them ?

I have emailed with them also... very nice to work with. I will probably order some of their bags too. Why did you guys get bags made out of monofiliment mesh and not felt?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12282605#post12282605 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by biger
Hey do you think if I used 200 micron bags they would last longer between changes? I need something that will last at least a week as I am often gone a week at a time. (maybe 300 micron?)

Yes.. Thats what I do.

I use 2- 200 micron bags and thy last for 2 or 3 weeks.

I changed them only when I do a water change. about every 2 weeks, but sometimes 3 if I'm away.

I wash them just like the others, in our washing machine with a touch of bleach.

Waxxiemann

Any particular reason why you went with nylon over polypropylene. Do you also wash the socks with bleach or do you throw them away.
Thanks

The Nylon Mesh are hold up much better to washing, over polpropylene or felt.

150 Micron Nylon mesh is a good one to use. Good balance between not having to change as often (can usually get 4 or 5 days between changes) and good ability to wash.

I have some that have been washed 20 times now as still are as good as new.

3-4 days. I just rinse it in the sink with the hottest water that will come out and the sink spray attachment. Every once in a while (once a month?) I use a 1/2 cup of bleach and let it soak for about 15 minutes and then rinse.

I am only flowing about 300 gph through the sock.

Does detritus in a filter sock break down faster than detritus that's collecting in the corner of your sump or behind your rocks?

My thinking is that if it's acceptable to vacuum the detritus out of my tank once a week, that changing my socks at the same rate should also be acceptable.

Thoughts??

Re: Filter socks, what rate do you change them ?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12273718#post12273718 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ginzo
I have a 100 micron filter sock on the output of my overflow.

I'm thinking of changing it every 3-4 days, I have 7 spare ones.

Also I'm wondering how you guys wash yours ?

I put them in the laundry machine, at sanitize water temperature (very very hot), with no soap and low tumble cycle. Then I let them dry for a day or two.

What's your maintenance schedule for filter socks ?

Sounds fine but a little bleach will help. The bleach will open the "pores" . I use about 3/4 cup of regular Clorox in the hot cycle. I do a triple rinse, a double rinse is probably fine. In fact, I think some members here just do a single rinse. Also, I use normal wash cycle. I change mine atleast twice per week.
Biggest difference is I may be the only one who uses the dryer to dry mine. Super low heat and they dry quick. I think others worry about dryer sheet residue. I havent had any problems. I do rinse mine one more time in a bucket of ro/di and wring them out just before I place in tank. I have about 20 or these, 100 micron. I use the big ones, 6" X 20". I use one for the skimmer and one for my dual drain overflow. I Wash when I have 14 or 16 of them dirty, so about every 3 or 4 weeks I just do my filter sock washing.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12286499#post12286499 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pgordemer
The Nylon Mesh are hold up much better to washing, over polpropylene or felt.

150 Micron Nylon mesh is a good one to use. Good balance between not having to change as often (can usually get 4 or 5 days between changes) and good ability to wash.

I have some that have been washed 20 times now as still are as good as new.

I agree, 150's would have been a little better I think. I need to change my 100's every day. The reason I went with the Monofilament mesh is because they are more resistant to washing.

I'm very happy with them. 3 of my bags had the stiching come loose at the bottom from washing them in the washing machine. I'll be doing the RO/DI and a little bleach soak from now on.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12291422#post12291422 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Waxxiemann
I agree, 150's would have been a little better I think. I need to change my 100's every day. The reason I went with the Monofilament mesh is because they are more resistant to washing.

I'm very happy with them. 3 of my bags had the stiching come loose at the bottom from washing them in the washing machine. I'll be doing the RO/DI and a little bleach soak from now on.

What size filter bags are you using that they clog up and overflow in only a day?

I use the "felt" and am still using the bags I bought orignally 15 months ago. They hold up very very well to machine washing. I wash in the normal cycle, 18 minute wash, in hot water and bleach with 3 rinse cycles. They still work a good as the new ones. Again, these are 100 micron and 6" diameter by 20" long.

Some things will cause them to clog more quickly. Polygluconated calcium additives for example will make my filter socks clog in no more than 3 days, sometimes 2 days. The stuff is basically calcium syrup but there is so little of it added compared to the volume of water in the tank that I cant really understand why it clogs the bags more quickly, but it does.

To dry mine off i just swing em around in the air a couple times in my backyard. I do it really fast and let centripetal force take care of the rest. Doing it this way dries them out very very fast, plus my dog loves it. :)

I use 350 mesh nylon 7 inch 16 long 2 to 3 months, I flow 1400 gallons and just use to keep out snails and bubbles.

i used a large sheet of 100 micron ,
had my grandma sewed about 6 of them on her sewing machine with a loop for a thin rop to hang them on my overflow....changed about 3-4 days...
and wash them using my showerhead on the jetstream setting......hang them somewhere to air dry...
then i go take a showa...

Back