Finally! 34g cube!

zachfishman

Finally! I actually am starting a personal system!

Tank is a used Solana 34 gallon (stock stand, 150w MH disco light). It'll be a mixed system, lots of zoas, LPS, and few SPS. Sorry to those who bet I wouldn't have a tank in time to host the December meeting!

2014-07-27182311.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm gutting the built-in filtration and am going to drill in a Glass-Holes overflow. My painter's tool /putty knife was way easier than a little razor blade to separate the flimsy filter barrier from the back wall. I wasn't too worried about scratching the glass since it's the back.

Helpful: the silicone used to adhere the filter box was a greyish color and easy to distinguish from the all-important black silicone used to assemble the tank.

I don't find starphire glass to be worth the cost on tanks under 100 gallons (even then the benefit is debatable). Nevertheless this is an interesting shot comparing the back pane and the other three sides.

That's all for now. The tank needs a good vinegar soak and elbow grease application!

I thought the version of the Solana you got didn't have starphire glass...maybe all of the did and it was just advertised as such for the later versions.

What made you go with the glass-holes kit? I liked mine but I found their overflow boxes are hard to access for cleaning or just checking that you don't have anything stuck in there. On the next tank I do with an overflow I would probably do a Herbie style with a premade overflow from BRS or a custom box.

Will you be using a skimmer on this tank? Which one?

Can't wait to see the progress, I am subscribing to this thread.

I thought the version of the Solana you got didn't have starphire glass...maybe all of the did and it was just advertised as such for the later versions.

What made you go with the glass-holes kit? I liked mine but I found their overflow boxes are hard to access for cleaning or just checking that you don't have anything stuck in there. On the next tank I do with an overflow I would probably do a Herbie style with a premade overflow from BRS or a custom box.

Will you be using a skimmer on this tank? Which one?

Can't wait to see the progress, I am subscribing to this thread.

Apparently some Solanas are starfire. I liked the simplicity of the glass-holes kit and thought it looked neat; very unobtrusive.

For a skimmer I am going to DIY a "Mame" type skimmer.

Did some drilling and polishing today. Borrowed a friend's dremel and thought I could polish out the old waterline stains and coralline algae scuffs. I quickly abandoned the dremel, whatever the reason it actually scuffed the glass (ever so slightly - I tested this on the side of the tank that will be adjacent to a wall so it's ok). I tried buffing manually with a microfiber cloth and it helped a little I guess.

Back