Finally got some more LR.. need some help

Coffman34

I finally got some more LR. Got it from a LFS, Inland Aquatics. It was $9.99/lb got a 3lb chunk of it. Seems to be good rock, very porus, lots of red algae on it. Chloraine I think is what he said. But one thing. I noticed something on it that looks like the fan thing in this pic, the one on the right hand side of the picture.
tube330287.JPG

But I don't know what it is. Can anyone help me. And tell me if this thing will withstand a newcycle? Or will it die off? I know it's a live organism, because it shrank, and then expanded, then eventually went all the way into one of the small holes on the rock, and I haven't seen it for about 5-10 mins now.

Coffman34

Looks like a mini-duster. I had a bunch that lived through the cycle. The will react to light or any disturbances around them and often retreat when they feel threatened.

And the algae is coraline. Pretty soon that will spread all over your other rocks and tank walls.

Fanworm. They are fine and you'll probably see more of them throughout you tanks life. I have 90 gallon with about 150 lbs of live rock and i have them every where. They come in a bunch of different colors too.

I wish they had an edit function on here. Is that a good deal for that rock? I just noticed one more of those fan things. I hope so, the rock I got on the right cost me $15 total, and I think it's all dead. That's what I get for going to another LFS in town when a good one is not open.

Ahh, now I see the edit function. LOL. No it's not blue sand, it's black. figured that the black would make things stand out a little bit more than the usual grey/white sand. Any opinions on that piece of LR, got it for $28. It has all kinds of little things on it, can't tell if they're dead or alive. I guess I will find out over time.

coffman

Got it from PETsMART. Cost $18 for 22lbs. It is aragonite. It's made by SeaChem. You can find it on their website.

Back