finally got this thing going, well almost

bishoptaner

Premium Member
well i just need to get the water in. i got a hell of a deal on some rock, less then $1 a pound, so i just went ahead and bought 120 pounds. tell me what you guys think?
Picture003.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Lookin good. The only problem I see is if the plumbing on the left is for the return? You may have a problem when the power goes off and the sump overflows if it is.

-Matthew

no i have a check valve and i screwed up when i did the design of the pluming. i learned a lesson and ill never do that again.

Make sure that if you've got a clear checkvalve, as most are, that you don't have a refugium grow light near it, as I've had algae grow in my checkvalve, and as a result almost flooded my sump. Now I've got both the check valve as well as my outlets at or above the water line so they can't siphon back, but I guess you don't have that option :-/ oh well.

Maybe double check valves would be a backup? or drain to outside if possible like Rogger has/

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11610617#post11610617 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefWreak
Make sure that if you've got a clear checkvalve, as most are, that you don't have a refugium grow light near it, as I've had algae grow in my checkvalve, and as a result almost flooded my sump. Now I've got both the check valve as well as my outlets at or above the water line so they can't siphon back, but I guess you don't have that option :-/ oh well.

Maybe double check valves would be a backup? or drain to outside if possible like Rogger has/

I completely agree, make sure if your checkvalve is clear that it isn't getting any light because algae will grow in it and it will eventually fail.

I would also do double or triple check valves. It may sound excessive but coming home to flooded house with the addition of an empty dead tank would be horrible.

Maybe put a backup battery on the return pump so when the power goes out for a short time it will keep the water going for extra security.

hope that helps. Keep us informed on the build.

-Matthew

You can thwart algae growth in your fuge by covering any clear tubing or check valve with either black plastic (like a piece of a yard bag) or aluminum foil. Foil also reflects the heat radiating from the fuge light (in my case). You just have to replace foil periodically because it starts to degrade from the salt.

BTW, you can always plug up that return and either drill a higher one or hang one over the top to avoid the flooding concern.

Back