First Clam

urchinkiller15

I am getting my first clam this week and was wondering if there is anything special I need to do for it so it can live a happy and healthy life. It is a 3in Gold Striped Blue Crocea. I have two 250w metal halides on a 65g tank. The parameters are-
calcium- 400
alk- 8
nitrate- 0
specific gravity- 1.026
phosphate- 0
Is there anything I need to feed it? The tank in 24in tall. Will it be ok near the bottom?

You should be ok with your lighting putting the clam on the lower to middle part of your tank. Your params look good, what fish and inverts do you have?

Here is a link that has a lot of good info for clam newbie's. Check it out, I think you will find it very helpful.

BTW,

109536111784welcome.gif
To Reef Central

There is a acclimation procedure in the link that I provided, check it out. Some clams attach instantly and some never attach.

Well I got my clam today after it was shipped overnight priority and I think it has a hole in its mantel.:( I saw pictures of it before it was shipped and it did not have the hole. I don't think crocea's are suppose to have three holes. I will try to get pics tomorrow.

Clams sometimes get holes from stress, LOL don't ask me why I don't know.

I had one show up with 5 holes once and it healed and was fine.

I have had him now for two days and he has barely came out. I think my lawnmower blenny is picking on him.:( I built a cage around him with eggcrate and he seems to be happier. Hopefuly he will come out more tomorrow.

He came out more today than he ever has. I think the cage might be working. Has anyone ever heard of lawnmower blenny's picking on clams?

My mom refuses to let me get rid of the lawnmower blenny so I either have to find a new home for the clam or convince my parents to let me set up a 10g clam tank which won't happen. Sadly, it looks like I might be giving away my clam. :(

Well, I still have the clam and the cage is still on top of him. He's been coming out about halfway everyday which is more than he was but i'm still concerned. I was wondering, will he be ok coming out halfway everyday or will he eventually die?

Back