First Day 75gal

Was it following feeding? Often times, the 'head' on a skimmer will get knocked down/interrupted because of the lipids in the food.

Don't know. I went to sleep and checked it in the morning, but no bubbles. I'm going to try and clean it more thoroughly and see what happens.

I probably chould be more clear. The protein skimmer is producing micro bubbles but is not able to get larger ones, nor is it able to get them up the column as you see in the pictures.

An update.

First, I was able to get the skimmer running again but will only produce noticeable smelly stuff at the end of the week, so it si not very efficient:|.
Here are pics of what I have added so far.

Turbo Snail. One night I saw a speck on the glass and looked closer, only to find that it had two antenas(baby snail) but it probably got eaten by the hermits, since I have not seen it since.
DSC_1264.jpg

2-Dancing Shrimp, I actually wanted a Peppermint shrimp.
DSC_1303.jpg

A mushroom polyp.
DSC_1315.jpg

I believe this is a soft stony polyp since it is soft with a hard skeleton like a tube, but don't know the exact name. Lately I've noticed small buds on their side so it may be getting bigger.
DSC_1266.jpg

And a False Percula
DSC_1294.jpg

The last couple of days I have noticed one of the dancing shrimp offering itself to the other and today I saw it picking under its tail and it is much fatter. I think that she will be spawning soon.

Last edited:
Your "dancing shrimp" is a camel shrimp, a no-no oppertunistic predator. Your "soft stony polyp" is a galaxy. Notorious for stinging the heck out of pretty much everything around it. I owned a Berlin back in the day. The best thing to do (to make it work) is add the venturi and ditch the electrocution waiting to happen pump.

Here is something I posted on the Reef Chemistry page. What do you guys think of this.

So its been two months and I can't get rid of, or at least control, the algea growth on the sandbed of my 75g. This phenomenon happened during the first week of the tank and I was told that it was diatom algea, but its been two months already. I am having to shift the sand almost daily otherwise it forms a thick layer over the sandbed.

Substrate & Rock:
The sandbed(35lbs) is composed of very fine argonite and salt sized argonite with crushed coral that looks like beach sand. I have also noticed greyish areas below the sandbed. I have about 30lbs of base rock and about 15 lbs of live rock. Note 8 of the 15lbs was just put in on tuesday(7/13)

Livestock:
I have a cleaner shrimp, 2 camel(dancing) shrimp, 5 hermits, 1 domino damsel, 1 blue damsel, 1 false percula, 1 gramma, a mushroom polyp, and a galaxy coral, 10 aptisia buds(lol), and a small clam(scallop) that came with the live rock. I have also noticed pods, they look like small centipedes. Oh, almost forgot I also have a turbo snail that cleans the algea on the glass pretty good but won't eat the red stuff on the sand once its too thick.

Feeding and Parameters:
I usually feed 2 times a day; pellets in the morning and mysis or brine in the evening. The parameters; Ammonia 0, Nitrites and Nitrates 0, PH 8.4, SG 1.025, and Temp 78-80F. I also have a 30g sump that has no refugium yet, and a Berlin skimmer that produces significant gunk after 2.5 weeks.

Conclusion
My sandbed just looks bad and I am shifting the sand often, which I believe is not normal. It may be that the skimmer is just a bad one too since it is producing stuff every two and a half weeks.

People responded back saying that I was feeding too much, that I do not have enough live rock, and to add magnesium. So what do you guys think may be the problem.

DSC_0369.jpg

I don't know how often the skimmer cup needs to fill up, but I guess is the skimmer that is not working well either. As I said in the previous post, it only produces significant gunk after two weeks or so. But yeah I also think that it is my filtration system that is not efficient.

Thanks Kraylen.

Sorry, no updates yet. Actually there is. I got rid of the red hairy slime but began getting some dark green algea. It is growing on the rock and they almost look black but fish and inverts are doing ok. I also got some peppermints and they cleaned off the aptasia.
I was supposed to get some SPS but KRAYLEN didn't want my money. So now I am looking local but no luck. I have seen good stuff at Picture Perfect and will go there tomorrow and will take a trip to King aquarium in San Jose. I've looked at website but the shipping charges are just too much that I'm not willing to pay for them.

Back