First Day 75gal

polyp02

:bigeyes:Hello guys, I'm back. Since my last post I had been doing lots of research and planning. Finally I started my 75 gal reef tank.
I was able to find a $50, 6 month old, 75gal tank on craigslist. After cheking for leaks I went on building the stand for it using 2x3,4,&6. Then wraped it in 1/2 in sanded ply and stained it black(Ebony), after I applied about 6 coats of wipe-on poly. I then build the canopy out of MDF and painted it black & installed 2-48in T5 HO(1actinic & 1 18k) I will add as needed up to a total of 4 or 5 since this is the max that will fit. I have a Koralia 2 and a Mag5 return pump and a Ethos overflow rated for 100g. I also made my own sump out of 2x strength glass from OSH. After installing everything I filled it with filtered water and added the Argonite(60lbs) which made the whole tank cloudy. I did rinse it many times but after doing so may rinses I just decided to throw it in as since I did not see it getting better. I will wait untill it settles down, maybe tomorrow or sat. when I will then add the rock and sand(20lbs of crushed coral). So Kraylen can I have a piece of your live rock to seed mine, preferably the purple color one, thanks.
Please reply with anu suggestions or questions.
DSC_0640.jpg

DSC_0795.jpg

30gal_Sump.jpg

DSC_0990.jpg

DSC_0981.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah! Its good to see another reefer in the area! :)

One suggestion.. I would hold off the on the crushed coral. Adding a little can be effective for aesthetics- but as far as functionality, it really doesn't offer much in the way of benefits (esp. to the sand bed's inhabitants). Check out Ron's articles on sand beds... http://www.ronshimek.com/deep_sand_beds.html
Oh yeah, I've got some rock you are welcome to come grab. Shoot me a pm if you like.

Last edited:
Barsotti's question should be factored in when thinking about the sandbed depth.. I would probably keep it at about an inch or two until bringing in some live sand to seed the existing sand. Once you have done that, then you can gradually bring in more 'dead' sand and it will get seeded.

I plan getting some polyp, mushrooms, and an anamonie for the clowns that I plan on getting plus others, eventually it may become a mixed reef. I, however, plan on getting everything small and watching it grow.
On the sand, the crushed coral is not the large kind but the small type(1/16th in.) that looks like beach sand. Or can I just add another 30lb bag(about 1/2in) of argonite and have it come to live during the cycle period, then add the sand crushed coral?

Did you turn this 75g into a "rimless" tank? Very dangerous if so! If you need some goodies.. hit me up! :)

No, it still has its rim.

I will need your guy's address or some place we can meet to get some of your goodies. Thanks guys.

looking for some polyps and mushrooms for now, and I would like to seed the rocks with some purple algea.

East side represent! I used to live on the east side for over 20 years (Laurel Heights). Good luck with the tank.

Wow. Everything looking good. Very good start. Im impressed.

Here is my $0.02

Deep sandbeds trap more crap than they filter out. Look at all you guys with the deep sandbeds, and then look at your tanks. You think there are great benefits to a DSB? That thinking is very antiquated, time to get to the 21st century.
By that thinking you should also use a undergravel filter as well. Great aeration!LOL

Klepto- that article or book you posted a link to was published in 2001, almost 10 years ago. You wouldnt use a computer from 10 years ago(I think back then they were called typewriters), why use the thinking and process from 10 years ago, when there are methods that are easier, less prone to crashes and phosphate leeching.

When you are ready for corals, hit me up. I have a ton of sps, and will cut you nice sized frags. No fragging frags around here.
Good luck I cant wait to see it with corals in it!

Look at all you guys with the deep sandbeds, and then look at your tanks. You think there are great benefits to a DSB? That thinking is very antiquated, time to get to the 21st century.

wow:worried:

I would say if you're going to have a DSB i wouldn't go over 1"-1.5", that way a sand bed crew can easily maintain the sandbed and there wont be any "dead spots" that may cause problems later on down the road.

Bare bottom is a good route but can become a problem if maintenance is ignored.

Yeah a little much. I could have worded it better.
Sorry if I offended anybody, I was over exaggerating for effect.
What I should have said is:
Look at your sand bed (or go to picture perfect and look at their sumps, who's DSB have been up for many years), do you see dark spots where detritus has accumulated and built up, but has not been removed by all your bacteria and critters?
Every DSB that I have seen has a lot of detritus built up. That is not good for a tank in the long run.
IMO 1-1.5" is not a DSB, you need far more sand than that to get the benefit of a DSB. I have 1-1.5" of sand in my tank for my wrasse. But I gravel vac every week. I dont have a BB, but have been contemplating it recently.
Any tank when maintenance is ignored can become a problem, regardless if you have a sand bed or not.

There are many ways to keep a tank healthy and thriving and if you think a DSB will yield you the best results and will work best for you, who am I to tell you what to do and not to do. My tank sucks anyway.

Yeah a little much. I could have worded it better.
Sorry if I offended anybody, I was over exaggerating for effect.
What I should have said is:
Look at your sand bed (or go to picture perfect and look at their sumps, who's DSB have been up for many years), do you see dark spots where detritus has accumulated and built up, but has not been removed by all your bacteria and critters?

:fun5: Actually take the time to read the article and then question it. Shimek revised that in 2006- but I hear what you are saying about relevancy to modern SPS tanks. Those 'dark spots'- cyanobacteria and anaerobic areas are needed for processing nutrients. Sure they don't look good- but that doesn't necessarily mean they are detrimental to the tank.

Why would I go look at PP's tanks for a good example of a healthy sandbed? They probably have the best examples of OTS (old tank syndrome) I have ever seen.

DSB's need to be maintained just like any other part of tank. approx 10% of your total sandbed volume should be changed annually to prevent the buildup of detritus and other OTS issues.

You are emphasizing an excellent point- perhaps you didn't take the best approach.. I think it is entirely worthwhile to recognize that you can't just expect a sandbed to export forever. If you plan on keeping a SPS dominant tank then BB could certainly be the better long term option. Still you have to acknowledge that not everyone wants to be siphoning detritus weekly, and at the same time not everyone wants to deal with the issues that sandbeds can bring. To each his own. There are plenty of successful tanks (here in the 21st century) with sandbeds.

Get over trying to force BB on everyone. :lmao:

I think that my source water, lack of regular water changes and dosing are all much more responsible for my struggles with SPS infinitely moreso than my sandbed. (but thats just me)

Back