First Day 75gal

oh come on...
Whehhhh :p
Its all love here. You can't expect online communication to be smooth 100%.. even 50% of the time.

Get over trying to force BB on everyone. :lmao:

Really????
Then you try to get over trying to force a DSB on everyone.

Im not forcing anyone to do anything. I am giving my opinion what works for me and offering an opinion that happens to be contrary to yous and you are getting your panties in a bunch.
Nowhere did I mention a BB is the only way to go. Just that DSB are problematic.
I dont have a BB, and you have seen my tank enough to know that.
This is completely lame.

Polyp02- sorry for causing such ugliness in your post

The funny thing is it is local reef drama, so I can hear both voices arguing in my head when they post.

On the weekend I did a parameters check with an API 5in1 strip and, since I trust old school stuff, I also checked it with the test tubes. The results where trites=0,trates=0, Ammo=0,PH=8.0,SG=1.022-1.023, the sand bed has been getting brown and air bubbles have developed in it. I don't remember mentioning to you guys that I had bought 5lbs of live rock to seed the rest...,but I did. I also bought two blue damsels. Not all of my rock is covered in brown only the sand and live rock. It has been a week and my levels read the end of the cycle. I don't know if it is just too early to be reading anything? Should I put in a CUC or not yet? I also added more dry rock about 20lbs on the 4th day.

I would remove the damsels now while you have a chance, live rock provides enough die off in itself to cycle a reef properly. Adding damsels is just cruel, plus they will become dominate in your tank now... creating issue when attempting to add new fish to your tank.

1+ on Kraylen's thoughts... Damsels in a community reef: trouble.
Perhaps you could go with more passive fish (but still hardy ones!) and then compatibility won't be as much of a concern. I've lost track of all the times I have heard people agonizing while trying to get damsels out of a display tank on this site and in the wider reefing community.

I would give your tank at least a month to stabilize before stocking. Even though things may look and test great, it would be wise to be patient and really dial in your aquascape, flow, plans, etc. in accordance with what you plan to stock.
Remember, the die off from your live rock will get things going- as Dr. Kray mentions.

The brown could be a diatom bloom. Not a concern at this point. Did you cure the 20lbs of dry rock you added?

If you can't get an ammonia reading from just the rock itself, then you can resort to temporarily adding a small amount of frozen reef food and letting it kickstart the cycle. (I think that siphoning it out after you get the NH3 spike is probably a good idea)

I'm not very experienced with test kits, but keeping the age of a kit in mind is very important when considering it's accuracy. Using a 5 in 1 strip will also not yield results as accurate as using an test for an individual parameter (ie. a titration for KH). You always have to consider that there is also a chance that the kit is faulty and giving you botched results. Kits that come with calibration fluids help to avoid this issue. Salifert and Elos tests are highly regarded in the hobby.

I have chromis in my tank that have been in there for about a year, they are awesome fish in a group but they are mean little bastards and give trouble to most anything i put in the tank that has a similar shape.

Chromis are cool little fish. I love the way they will 'host' branching corals. How many do you have?

I've got 4 little guys and they hang out in my giant miami orchid stag, its like a tree house for them, they play in it all day.

I think I will let it flow for 2 more week, as Klepto said. In the meantime I'm going to add more rock.

What about the CUC, yea or nay?

Good call! Get a few water changes under your belt!
If you do try adding some CUC, just buy a few initially and see how they do.. there is no sense in wasting $ at this point.. plenty of chances will come for that.. HA!.:hammer:

Personally, I'd go with the hardier snails like Trochus or Astrea and avoid hermits.

Neighbor gave me a 50gal tank, a Berlin Red Sea protein skimmer, Rio3100(900pgh) pump, original light fixture(t8) and a SEIO powerhead. I have installed the protein skimmer with the Rio pump and an air pump to make bubbles. The Rio pump however had a flap on the impeller missing so it is very noicy. I don't know if I should just buy a new inpeller or buy the AquaEuro skimmer I had planned and saved for? Any suggestions.

By the way all my levels are still ZEEEROs. What temperature are you guy's tanks at? I have mine at 79-81.

DSC_1254.jpg

DSC_1258.jpg

Your temp range sounds fine.
Go big and hook up a fatty skimmer! Having a reliable skimmer will go a long way.

Back