First New Zoo's what do I do!?!

Carressa

I just purchased my first zoo's from online. I have them all in little bags floating on the top of the quarantine tank which is just a little 10 gallon tank I set up as everyone suggests to have one. Ok some of the little frags are attached to shells others look like they are just there. The ones that are attached to shells can I just put them in the tank like that or should I attach them onto a larger piece of rock? Could someone supply me with a good link on how to attach these suckers because I'm scared to death I'm gonna kill them. Yes I have read things but now they are actually here i'm not sure what to do next! Is there any thing I can do in particular to help these things acclimate easier with less chance of dying?...

Thank you for any advice!

Carr.

You will want to get a drip acclimation for all of them. I normally do it for at least 1.5hrs for zoanthids. Liveaquaria has a great guide for this so here is the link.

I prefer the drip method.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=19&ref=3319&subref=AI

Now. Once you get them acclimated you are fine to put those still attached to the shell in your aquarium. No need to attach them to anything else. The polyps that are loose you will need to catch those and attach them to a rock or shell.

Here is what I do to attach zoas (single or more). I use Paper towels, super glue gel, tweezers and a razer blade when cutting.

1. Collect them into a small dish (can be a zip lock bag placed into a bowl or tupperware)

2. Get some good paper towels cause you will need them to dry off the surfaces. Then dry off the rock you are going to attach your zoas onto.

3. Take a polyp or more out of water and place its bottom onto the paper towel so it dries off. If you can't figure out which is the bottom then poke at your open zoas and examine what the polyp looks like when it closes. It can be very tough to determine top from bottom on losse polyps.

4. Put a small dab of glue on the dry rock. The dab will be just a bit llarger then your polyp.

5. Pick up your zoa with the tweezers and place the bottom of the zoa on the super glue. If the polyp is larger then no need for the tweezers. (I started using tweezers after glueing a polyp to my finger)

6. Wait a minute to dry and place it back into that container with water.

Once the glue is solid and your polyps not moving you can put it into your tank. Single polyps don't always glue down easily so don't be surprised if it is floating around your tank the next day.

hope that helps

Re: First New Zoo's what do I do!?!

Don't forget to dip them!
Read about dipping zoos in this forum, it's a sticky. I just dip mine in RO/DI water because I don't have any lugols yet.
I got rid of a couple of worms doing that, but no nudies.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6532004#post6532004 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ficklefins
I found it! A how-to with pics

http://www.thesea.org/reef_aquarium/coral_farming/coral_farming_zoanthus_lessons.php

Ficklefins you are my hero! I followed the directions and have them all nestled in the quarantine tank....I have a full spectrum light near the tank and wouldn't ya know the darn things are all popping out to take a look. They are beautiful! I will post some pictures soon as they are feeling a bit better.
Thank you so much for you help!

Carr

I dip in 1gal of fresh water with about 4 drops of iodine will be fine. but the zoa in and shake it (like the hokie pokie). After that you dont need to acclimate them. In nature, a reef can have a temperature fluctuation of 6 degrees sometimes up to 10 during high and low tide. The online retaliers have you go through the 1.5 hour dip just to cover their own a$$. 1.5 hopurs can be dangerouse. It can cuase alot of changes in the water that the zoa is in such as ph change and buildup of nitrates or amonia causeing more harm than good.

Well so far so good here is a pic. the green ones, its not the greatest picture as I couldn't get a good angle on it...so far it looks pretty good any idea what kind they are? They are still in the quarantine tank for another day or two then I will dip them and put them in my main tank. Thanks so much for everyones input...now cross your fingers that I don't kill them off :)

108441Newgreenzoo.jpg

Back