First Night Shots

oneradtek202

Pitcher Hill Reef Society
my first attempt at doing something at night. other than astrophotography. Came out OK. i need some more tips though

IMG_3031-1.jpg

IMG_3033.jpg

IMG_3036-1.jpg

Brandon you continue to amaze me with your pictures! Next time i'm in syracuse i would really like to check out your system! Maybe you could give me some photography pointers. Im buying myself a T1i after christmas.

Looks like you've got the exposure down but focus is a real problem on the last two.

yea i know, and i was freezing my a$$ off so i decided to just try again some other night lol

the first one i agree was the best focused, any thing else i can try with my exposure? i notice some graininess in the sky, how do i get rid of that?

The graininess is just due to noise on long exposures on digital cameras. I know on mine it has an option for long exposures. What it does is take the exposure twice and tries to do some noise rejection from the two images. Otherwise you will have to do some post noise processing.

i use a vivitar v3000 tripod, and i used a 2 second timer so my release wouldnt have made any difference.

i was only shooting at f4 and sometimes f8 if i remember correctly.....so a larger f-stop will make the graininess less obvious?

Beautiful Photography! Especially the first picture! That looks like a photo I would frame as decor in my home.

i use a vivitar v3000 tripod, and i used a 2 second timer so my release wouldnt have made any difference.

i was only shooting at f4 and sometimes f8 if i remember correctly.....so a larger f-stop will make the graininess less obvious?

Are you shooting digital or film? Either way grain, whether actual grain (film) or noise (digital) is not a function of aperture (f-stop) but rather ISO and choice of film stock, if shooting film. The higher f-stop allows you to achieve sharper focus, both real and perceived.

What settings are you shooting?

If thats your first go at night photos your def well on your way.

You can shoot 2 or 3 dif exposures & combine them in photoshop or even use HDR (high dynamic range) software like photomatrix.

this was one shot earlier in evening for sky then two a little later one lighter for darker areas & one darker exposure to keep lights from burning out, then put them together in photoshop. Obviously good tripod needed.

photobucket.jpg

Back