First successful aquaculture of pacific blue tang

interesting!!!!! however, most consider it a bait fish, few eat it because it is very oily, and it's not on any endangered list. what is the point; just for the hobby?

interesting!!!!! however, most consider it a bait fish, few eat it because it is very oily, and it's not on any endangered list. what is the point; just for the hobby?

I'm a big believer in getting everything captive bred. With a few tiny exceptions, everything in my tank was born in an aquarium. So this gives me the opportunity to grab a tang. I also hope they can start breeding them for a smaller size, allowing more people to have tangs appropriately.

Yes, but it's far from commercially viable. Very low yield at an extremely high effort. It's still at the R&D stage and a good deal of work has to be done to get to a point where it could be productive enough to be an alternative to wild caught yellow tangs.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yes, but it's far from commercially viable. Very low yield at an extremely high effort. It's still at the R&D stage and a good deal of work has to be done to get to a point where it could be productive enough to be an alternative to wild caught yellow tangs.

+1 tangs are a long way away from being offered widely as Captive Bred, like another decade or so

In the category of least concern for conservation status. Highly resilient/ quick doubling time.

I guess I'm of the opinion that conservative collection is better as long as we don't see serious population declines. I'd rather not see captive bred tangs.

In the category of least concern for conservation status. Highly resilient/ quick doubling time.

I guess I'm of the opinion that conservative collection is better as long as we don't see serious population declines. I'd rather not see captive bred tangs.
Seriously? You don't like tangs with deformities?

I think throewer sees what I'm getting at.

I am thinking of jellybean parrot cichlids, celestial eye goldfish, and glowing tetras.

Abnormalities will happen but if PROPER breeding techniques and foods are used this won't be much of a issue (tangs being CB is a much newer thing than angels with different challenges) Rising Tide works off of donations so seeing these on a large scale at a decent price won't happen anytime soon, if ever. Also with the amount of time and effort involved the return on investment just isn't there

Abnormalities will happen but if PROPER breeding techniques and foods are used this won't be much of a issue (tangs being CB is a much newer thing than angels with different challenges) Rising Tide works off of donations so seeing these on a large scale at a decent price won't happen anytime soon, if ever. Also with the amount of time and effort involved the return on investment just isn't there

I agree with all of that. I am obviously picking on some bad freshwater examples. I suppose anyone with the system and effort to breed tangs would make quality control a priority.

Oh, just let the marketing guys of some of the large breeders get on it. As soon as tangs can be bred on a commercial scale you will see intentional hybrids that would never happen in the wild. Who gives a damn about quality - the masses obviously no. Otherwise all the big breeders could not get rid of the garbage clowns they crank out.

I really can't wait to see some crazy designer tangs - a mix of yellow tang and hippo maybe. Or how about sohal and hippo - that must be a really mean fish. And I want to see stubbies, flat heads, lion heads, bend spines and extreme long fins. The more extreme the better! :bigeyes:

Maybe then designer clowns fall out of favor and it will again be possible to find some nice clowns that look how nature and evolution had "designed" them (or some god). Right now all you see here are designer clowns and mutants and even more often designer mutants - I really have enough of this freak show :headwalls:

There isn't enough time or money involved for this to be on a large scale for the masses. There will always be one or two fish that get the "B" rating out of a brood no matter how many or little are being bred. Happens in the wild, most of them just end up as food for other fish

Awesome. Hopefully in 20-30 years almost every fish will have been successfully aquaculture and available to the masses.

Back