Fish dying issue!

ryan27272

Hey guys,
Ok Ive had my 90gl up for a few years now. Im having an issue that is totally killing me. I cant keep any fish alive for more than a few weeks. New fish anyway. I currently have three fish alive and they are the three I started the tank with. A blenny, Chromas, and a clown. I stopped adding fish last summer and now trying again with same result. Fish do very well for a week or two then begin to become listless and die after a day or two. I still do a 10% water change weekly and test weekly for nitrate, nitrite, alk, and ph. All perfect. Filter and media once a month. Have 180gl of filtration. I also have a sump/refugeum 20gl. plenty of water flow and keep at about 77 degrees. oh and salinity at 1.9. is there anything anyone can think of? And anything else I can test for? metals or something?
Any help would be a life saver.
Ryan

kept it at 1.024 the first year went lighter to match the lfs. thought the higher salinity was the problem at first. it wasn't though

I would bring your water up to at least 1.023 over the next couple of weeks. You can do this by adding fresh 1.023 sg saltwater to top off your tank. You might want to top off with the saltwater every other day because increasing salinity to fast is very harmful to fish.

do you think that is what is killing the fish? I mean I still had that problem when I did have that salinity level

I would raise the SG to 1.0264 over a period of a couple of weeks or so. That's the canonical ocean average. I'm not sure that the SG is what's killing your fish, though. Do they show any signs of trouble other than a loss of energy?

yup. nothing shows up. so totally good on that. and I have tons of snail and hermits and a cleaner shrimp that have been fine for over a year so whatever it is doesn't seem to effect them.

You might want to ask in the fish disease forum. There's some chance a disease is the cause of the deaths.

I agree with Randy. ;)

Sounds like ammonia poisoning during shipping in route to the fish vendor or on the way home from where you buy the fish, when they die within a few weeks and all other tank occupants are doing well. Perhaps your acclamation methods.

Back