Fish Health Through Proper Nutrition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a carbon dust incident in my tank recently. I have a 56 gallon FOWLR. I started a new hob protein skimmer and did not properly rinse the carbon filter part. Problem is now resolved and my tank is clearing up again. Sadly some of my fish were negatively affected. My foxface died unfortunately and my toby puffer and ocellaris clown were very ill for several days. They just layed on the bottom and tried to breathe. The clown is up and swimming again, not very much. My puffer will swim around for short bursts then lay back down again. I am hopefull they may still pull through, but they havent eaten in days. I have coral beauty as well and she appears to be completely unaffected. She has swam happily and ate the entire time. I feed them a variety of foods so I have plenty of choices on hand. I tried frozen spirulina brine with garlic vitamins added, marine s pellets, freeze dried brine also. Should I just continue to be patient and wait it out or is there something I can do now? Any advice is welcome.

I had a carbon dust incident in my tank recently. I have a 56 gallon FOWLR. I started a new hob protein skimmer and did not properly rinse the carbon filter part. Problem is now resolved and my tank is clearing up again. Sadly some of my fish were negatively affected. My foxface died unfortunately and my toby puffer and ocellaris clown were very ill for several days. They just layed on the bottom and tried to breathe. The clown is up and swimming again, not very much. My puffer will swim around for short bursts then lay back down again. I am hopefull they may still pull through, but they havent eaten in days. I have coral beauty as well and she appears to be completely unaffected. She has swam happily and ate the entire time. I feed them a variety of foods so I have plenty of choices on hand. I tried frozen spirulina brine with garlic vitamins added, marine s pellets, freeze dried brine also. Should I just continue to be patient and wait it out or is there something I can do now? Any advice is welcome.

Have you tested the water for nitrates and ammonia. Are their any signs of parasites.
I am not convinced that the problem in your tank is do to some carbon getting into it.

I'm a big fan of large (natural reef) quantities of food, which if it's good food, I would imagine would best the chances of disease recovery. However I can see how a small QT setup would keep the pathogens confined.
I have found that using a UV sterilizer ESP if you are adding anything new to the system can make a real difference over time.

I would do a 30 percent water change immediately

I would do a 30 percent water change immediately

Hello:

I would do a 30% water change and add any bacteria additive product like Seachem Stability if you have it.

Then I would watch for any changes in your fishes behavior in the next 12-24 hours following this water change.

If there is any beneficial effect, I would repeat another 20-30% water change in 48 hours.

Then wait for another 96 hours and do a 20% water change.

Just a thought that could not hurt.

Finsky

Hello:

I would do a 30% water change and add any bacteria additive product like Seachem Stability if you have it.

Then I would watch for any changes in your fishes behavior in the next 12-24 hours following this water change.

If there is any beneficial effect, I would repeat another 20-30% water change in 48 hours.

Then wait for another 96 hours and do a 20% water change.

Just a thought that could not hurt.:idea:

Finsky

Excellent advise. I would also run sea hem prime to block any ammonia or nitrates.

Good idea with the Prime

Good idea with the Prime

I also thought of measuring your pH and use Seachem Reef Carbonate to keep it between 8.2 - 8.4.

I use all three products and I have had one Red Rose split into four and a True Carpet go from 8" to 16" in one year.

My seven year old pair of mated Tomato Clownsfish are regularly laying a clutch of eggs.

I have even switched to Seachem Reef Salt about three years ago.

Just have had good success with Seachem products and recently switched to Purigen instead of Chemi-Pure.

Not trying to push their products although my 65 gallon high planted Amazon tank with eight discuss is doing fantastic as well.

Finsky

I also thought of measuring your pH and use Seachem Reef Carbonate to keep it between 8.2 - 8.4.

I use all three products and I have had one Red Rose split into four and a True Carpet go from 8" to 16" in one year.

My seven year old pair of mated Tomato Clownsfish are regularly laying a clutch of eggs.

I have even switched to Seachem Reef Salt about three years ago.

Just have had good success with Seachem products and recently switched to Purigen instead of Chemi-Pure.

Not trying to push their products although my 65 gallon high planted Amazon tank with eight discuss is doing fantastic as well.

Finsky

Have you tried Clear Fx .this product goes farther then chemipure and removes organics too. Comes in a bag but I run it loose in a phosban reactor.
Lasts 4 months in marine and 6 months in fresh.

That's pretty good information about the fish health and titration.. Its really informative for me..I really love to read this all..
It will be help me in my further work..

I will not ever medicate again.

I had a tank of healthy fish with excellent eight year old water quality and 200 lbs. of live rock three bubble tips one True Carpet and a 10 year old breeding pair of Tomato clowns.

I did notice a slight fraying of my rabbit fish and Drs. F & S recommended Melafix and Primafix.

The I added one dose of Melafix to my 120 on Sunday night after the usual 15% water change.

Then on Monday night I added a dose of Milafix and Pimafix together as I was told they go hand in hand.

Woke up Tuesday morning to find $780 worth of dead fish and had to do an emergency 20gallon water change before work.

No more medicating for my aquariums.

Melafix is useless IME. It doesn't have any actual medication in it, just a homeopathic remedy based on tea oil. Never used Pimafix, but it appears to be a similar product.

I have pictures of dead useless in the bottom of two five gallon salt bucket with water.

Tangs, my clown and ****** trigger, gold spotted rabbit fish etc.

$720 total.

I will not medicate again unless I was forced to do it.

I have pictures of dead useless in the bottom of two five gallon salt bucket with water.

Tangs, my clown and ****** trigger, gold spotted rabbit fish etc.

$720 total.

I will not medicate again unless I was forced to do it.[/QUOTE

I emphasize with you. I only medicate as a last resort

For cyano I use ethromyacin. This worked great for about 20 tanks. Then in one tank I lost 6 fish overnight. Now only as a last resort

Does anyone know of any flakes or pellets that do not use ethoxyquin as a preservative? So far of what I have on hand, only the NLS pellets are not showing ethoxyquin.

I feed mainly frozen & the fish do enjoy clam frenzy so that is just as much for them as the corals. I'm looking to keep the diet balanced & was soaking pellets & flakes in selcon or fish oil.

I've worked at a vet & seen what "bad" preservatives do to animals. BHA, BHT, & ethoxyquin are known to cause cancer & I'd like to keep it out of my fish too.

Fish Disease Treatment

Fish Disease Treatment

Hi. I really appreciate all of your posts here about the right nutrition and vitamins for fish. I have been taking care of my small fishes for about 7 years now, but the only thing , i noticed was, they died easily. Maybe, I do lack the knowledge about its proper care and diet. I am happy that I found this forum threads that talks about fish.

All of that sounds good, but New Life Spectrum foods creator has a 2000 gallon tank with hundreds of fish he has maintained with his pellets only for over 8 years. If you check the web site, these fish look outstanding. He also indicates he has no problem with HLLE, or other diseases. They are very healthy looking and maximum colors. He maintains each feeding of his foods contain all the food requirements they need. He said feed his food execusively to ensure all their requrements food/vitamins, etc are supplied at each meal. I also like the new Formula pellet foods that are even more fresh with new ingredients. Most even contain garlic and many vitamins. I was using only frozen foods in the past, and some of my fish are 8 years old (blue tang/clown trigger). But, my emperor developed HLLE, so I am trying new foods, supplements. I also think that pellets keep the water cleaner. In other words it is like us eating a meal that always contains vegetables, meat, vitamins, breads, etc every meal, instead of eating just meat one meal and missing the other ingredients.

MS Ramaiah Institute of Technology admission
PES Institute of Technology admission
RV College of Engineering admission
PES School of Engineering Bangalore

Admission, I'm guessing this was you back in 2006? It is a double post anyway. You work for New Life Spectrum? I am trying out the nutricell right now and use thera-A myself

All of that sounds good, but New Life Spectrum foods creator has a 2000 gallon tank with hundreds of fish he has maintained with his pellets only for over 8 years. If you check the web site, these fish look outstanding. He also indicates he has no problem with HLLE, or other diseases. They are very healthy looking and maximum colors. He maintains each feeding of his foods contain all the food requirements they need. He said feed his food execusively to ensure all their requrements food/vitamins, etc are supplied at each meal. I also like the new Formula pellet foods that are even more fresh with new ingredients. Most even contain garlic and many vitamins. I was using only frozen foods in the past, and some of my fish are 8 years old (blue tang/clown trigger). But, my emperor developed HLLE, so I am trying new foods, supplements. I also think that pellets keep the water cleaner. In other words it is like us eating a meal that always contains vegetables, meat, vitamins, breads, etc every meal, instead of eating just meat one meal and missing the other ingredients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back