Fish Health Through Proper Nutrition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Green Marine Algae
Optimal food source for all species of marine Tangs, Angels, Wrasses, Damsels, and some Butterflyfish.
Ingredients: 100% Natural Dried Seaweeds (marine macroalgae).
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein
33.9% min.
Crude Fat
3.2% min.
Crude Fiber
2.5% max.
Moisture
6.8% max.

Brown Marine Algae
Optimal food source for all species of marine Tangs, Angels, Wrasses, Damsels, and some Butterflyfish.
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein
31.6% min.
Crude Fat
2.2% min.
Crude Fiber
6.5% max.
Moisture
6.8% max.

Red Marine Algae
Optimal food source and color enhancer for Damselfish, small Angelfish, Sponge Feeders, and other marine fish with softer mouth parts.
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein
33.2% min.
Crude Fat
2.2% min.
Crude Fiber
4.5% max.
Moisture
9.6% max.

Green 100 ct, CD-10976
$29.99

I have a 100 count from San Francisco Bay which is human edible. I taked a few 10"x10" sheets and cut them into bite size pieces with scissors as well as the red algae above from Ocean Nurtition. I have them in left over freeze dried mysis shrimp or brine shrimp containers.

I sprinkle them in a measuring cup along with freeze dried mysis, brine, bloodworms, and Ocean Nutrition pellets. I them soak them in Vita-Chem, Selcon, and Kent Marine C. for fifteen minutes to half an hour with a bit of aquarium water added. My three yellow Hawaiian tangs and other fish like these nutrition packed meals. Of course I start out with a sprinkling of Ocean Nutrition Formula One Flakes and Ocean Nutrition Two Flakes to wet their appetite.

My three Yellow Hawaiian Tangs are in imaculate condition with this Monday, Wednesday, Friday feedings.

I never thought seaweed clips with large pieces of algae were a very efficient feeding method as the seaweed sheets get pulled apart and sucked into filter and circulation pump intakes.

================================

In my second story loft/bedroom, this year I had a new 65 gallon tank with stand delivered up 13 flights of steps. My Amazon tank I has two Hagen 70 Aquaclear Powerfilters with two Hydor Koralia Evolution 750 propeller pumps(one on each upper front end facing the back corner). The 125 gallon mixed reef tank is down stairs in the living room thank heavens.

I also performed a weekly 10-15% weekly water change this past weekend and I rinsed the sponges, 10 oz chem-pures, and course filter bags with Eheim Efisubstrate Pro pea sized sintered glass biomedia in the siphoned out tank water. I would never rinse out my filter media in tap water. No way, no how. I also rinse out all the media in my two Rena XP4 canisters on the 125 mixed reef tank in three five gallon buckets of siphoned tank water. Must keep that good bacteria. Stability helped me with Amquel Plus on a three day power outage during winter time three years ago with batter air pumps and hot water changes, I did not lose one saltwater fish and the only thing lost was a small long tentacled anemone. Recently I have been using Drs Foster and Smith colonize for bacteria.

I kept all the good bacteria and got a real clean tank with two happy discus, two happy green severum, two happy firemouths, and two happy red blood parrots along with a some happy cori cats and happy schools of black skirt tetras and serpae tetras along with some immigrant clown loaches in my "Amazon" tank.

Last edited:
If you rinse out the cartridge make sure you use water from the tank or you destroy the bacteria bed in the filter. You might also want to add some
Seachem Stabilizer when you do this(bacteria)

thanks for the heads up good to know. actally he looks like he is eating as well. could i buy this Seachem Stabilizer at petco or any other fish store. so far so good

I have restocked my tank after a crash last August in my five year old tank.

I have two Rena XP4 canisters, two Hydor 8's, and one AquaMedic turboflotor multi-1000 protein skimmer.

The Hydor's and the protein skimmer were on a powerstrip and I forgot to turn it back on after feeding one evening. The two canisters were running the entire time and in the morning I had lost most of my fish and the concensus was oxygen deprivation.

I have now restocked with only reef safe fish and alot of corals I could not keep with angels. I do have a pair of yellow hawaiian tangs, two Pacific Blue Tangs, and one Powder Blue tang which are doing quite well with my Monday, Wednesday, Friday feeding. I turn off the canisters and unplug the protein skimmer and leave the Hydor 8's on while I feed the fish. Ocean Nutrition one and two flakes first. The I put cut up seaweed/freeze dried mysis/brine/bloodworms in a measuring cup and soak in Vita-Chem, Selcon, Kent Marine-C along with a bit of aquarium water. I then pour this in after the flakes are gone and wait until they eat all of this vitamin soaked food. I then turn the canisters back on when the food disappears only leaving the skimmer unplugged.

I add Kent Marine Phytoplex, Chromoplex, Zooplex, and Microvert.

I just had my 21 month old red rose bubble tip anmone divide into two 6 inch anemones form one 12 inch red rose bubble tip anemone. I also have a four and a half year pair of Tomato clowns laying eggs every week to two weeks.

The larger fish I entered last and they included two medium yellow hawaiian tangs three months ago. A five inch Powder Blue and a 3 1/2" and 5 1/2" Blue Tang were added a week ago. So far everyone is chowing down and maintaining quite the civility.

I have restocked my tank after a crash last August in my five year old tank.

I have two Rena XP4 canisters, two Hydor 8's, and one AquaMedic turboflotor multi-1000 protein skimmer.

The Hydor's and the protein skimmer were on a powerstrip and I forgot to turn it back on after feeding one evening. The two canisters were running the entire time and in the morning I had lost most of my fish and the concensus was oxygen deprivation.

I have now restocked with only reef safe fish and alot of corals I could not keep with angels. I do have a pair of yellow hawaiian tangs, two Pacific Blue Tangs, and one Powder Blue tang which are doing quite well with my Monday, Wednesday, Friday feeding. I turn off the canisters and unplug the protein skimmer and leave the Hydor 8's on while I feed the fish. Ocean Nutrition one and two flakes first. The I put cut up seaweed/freeze dried mysis/brine/bloodworms in a measuring cup and soak in Vita-Chem, Selcon, Kent Marine-C along with a bit of aquarium water. I then pour this in after the flakes are gone and wait until they eat all of this vitamin soaked food. I then turn the canisters back on when the food disappears only leaving the skimmer unplugged.

I add Kent Marine Phytoplex, Chromoplex, Zooplex, and Microvert.

I just had my 21 month old red rose bubble tip anmone divide into two 6 inch anemones form one 12 inch red rose bubble tip anemone. I also have a four and a half year pair of Tomato clowns laying eggs every week to two weeks.

The larger fish I entered last and they included two medium yellow hawaiian tangs three months ago. A five inch Powder Blue and a 3 1/2" and 5 1/2" Blue Tang were added a week ago. So far everyone is chowing down and maintaining quite the civility.

With all that feeding have you considered carbon dosing

I have 15 years fresh/5 years mixed reef and I have to ask what is carbon dosing?

I have 15 years fresh/5 years mixed reef and I have to ask what is carbon dosing?

With all that feeding have you considered carbon dosing

I have been dosing Seachem Reef Carbonate and it has helped level out my pH 8.0-8.4 since I started using it as Seachem thought I might have more bi-carbonate alkalinity than carbonate alkalinity.

I have to say they were right.

I am going to start dosing Tropic Science Marine-Max after each weekly water change when it arrives on Friday from Drs Foster and Smith.

Back to carbon dosing. I would not want to try anything which might jepardize our Doree and her younger sister Doreena and their friends?

Last edited:
I have been dosing Seachem Reef Carbonate and it has helped level out my pH 8.0-8.4 since I started using it as Seachem thought I might have more bi-carbonate alkalinity than carbonate alkalinity.

I have to say they were right.

I am going to start dosing Tropic Science Marine-Max after each weekly water change when it arrives on Friday from Drs Foster and Smith.

Back to carbon dosing. I would not want to try anything which might jepardize our Doree and her younger sister Doreena and their friends?[/QUOTE

With carbon dosing you add a source of carbon which increases the growth of bacteria in the tank, The bacteria in turn consume nitrates and phosphates. Corals consume the bacteria.
You can add a liquid carbon source such as vodka to the tank which is a little more problematic or setup a phosban reactor with biopellets in them. The biopellets provide a media for the bacteria and the bacteria are introduced to the tank in a more controlled fashion via flow
In each cases you end up with crystal clear water and corals that colour up and look fantastic.
Because the bacteria is consuming nitrates and phosphates then you can feed alot more to your corals and fish
I suggested in your case because of all those extra additives you are adding.
IMO they are not necessary and could cause more problems with the build up of ammonia or nitrates to your fish then supplementing them along with carbon dosing,
If you want me to list a couple of threads on carbon dosing let me know

Finsky, sounds like you got some real healthy fish there. Any time fish are breeding is a sign they are in the best health they could be in and is the condition they should always be in.

I tend to agree since I have been keeping this pair of clowns 4 1/2 years in my five year old tank.

I have switched to Seachem Reef Salt which does not leave a brown residue and give a pH of 7.6 at 35ppt salinity like Reef Crystals.

I measured my 18 gallon batch of Reef Salt tonight and the pH was 8.19 with no brown residue after 24 hours with two 400 gph powerheads in a Rubbermaid Brute.

Additionally, I have an excellent protein skimmer rated for up to a 250 gallon tank. It is the Aqua-Medic Turboflotor Multi-1000 which collects about about 1/2" to 1" of "black" water each 24 hours. This black water is much more than the smaller doses of liquid coral food I feed. Of course I have the two Rena XP4 canisters with a Chemi-Pure Grande in the top of basket out of the four baskets per canister. Two middle baskets have Eheim Efisubstrate Pro and the bottom baskets have two course and then two fine sponges. I rinse the sponges and Efisubstrate in aquarium water. I clean the skimmer collection cup daily. What I really think makes my tank click is the two Koralia Hydor 8's at 3,250 gph, one in the left upper front aiming to the back opposite corner and one in the right position and aiming across the same way. I really think this circlation with 185 lbs of live rock gives a lot of biological filstration.

I did speak with Boyd enterprises peronally on the phone and I am comfortable using the Chemi-Pure after we talked about the articles blaming ick on charcoal. We both agree it was stress from different areas. He told me their resin eliminates any bad effects charcoal might have on live stock in an aquarium concerning hold in the head disease.

Last edited:
I feed my tank seaweed cut up into bite size pieces with scissors, freeze dried mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, and bloodworms along with Ocean Nutrition One and Two flakes and pellets all soaked in Vita-Chem, Selcon, and Brightwell Vitamin- C.

After this has be consumed I dose with Kent Marine Phytoplex, Chromplex, Zooplex, and Microvert.

Every Sunday I feed my two six inch red rose bubble tips which just divided after two years as a 12 inch red rose bubble tip anemone, one six inch green bubble tip anemone, and a fourteen inch green bubble tip anemone razor clam which I buy by the one lb package sold by the Quinalt Tribe. I thaw and cut up into 1/2" pieces and freeze in a plast container which I then carve off a block to thaw and feed with a stick. I have had a pair of Tomato clowns for 4 1/2 years which regularly take care of a cluth of eggs on a weekly to semi-weekly basis. I have tried other sea food which was all very greasy and the bubble tips did not take well to these alhtough they wrap around the razor clam and suck it up. I them tear left over pieces into smaller tib bits for the fish.

298634_281193835243338_100000581719186_1097828_841880950_n.jpg

317313_292917900737598_100000581719186_1145196_1678187342_n.jpg

298075_292917927404262_100000581719186_1145197_572393741_n.jpg

308966_292917960737592_100000581719186_1145198_378999630_n.jpg

296713_292917984070923_100000581719186_1145199_43451976_n.jpg

Hey guys/girls, I have been feeding ( im sure you have heard of it) rods food the original blend, and a few other of the rods food. Do you see anything at all in this food that could not be healthy for my reef fish, also I feed them new life spectrum flakes and pellets. Thank you all,

Hey guys/girls, I have been feeding ( im sure you have heard of it) rods food the original blend, and a few other of the rods food. Do you see anything at all in this food that could not be healthy for my reef fish, also I feed them new life spectrum flakes and pellets. Thank you all,

Rods food is great however you need to introduce some fish oil.I would suggest soaking flake food with a capsule of Omega 3 Krill oil that you can buy at any pharmacy

Omega Three

Omega Three

Hello capn_hylinur:

The Omega 3 Krill Oil sounds like a very, very interest idea.

Have you noticed a difference when soaking food in the krill oil?

Is it harmful in any way?

Please let me know and I will get some.

Thank you,

Finsky

i soak food in vitamarin-m a brightwell product i have kept a powderblue alive on it ,and a regal angel since i bought them 6 weeks ago.

Hello capn_hylinur:

The Omega 3 Krill Oil sounds like a very, very interest idea.

Have you noticed a difference when soaking food in the krill oil?

Is it harmful in any way?

Please let me know and I will get some.

Thank you,

Finsky
not in the least. You can even take it too:lol:

i soak food in vitamarin-m a brightwell product i have kept a powderblue alive on it ,and a regal angel since i bought them 6 weeks ago.

Even tangs like the meaty foods too
Why try to make flake food healthy when you can feed them real sea food. My favorite is silver side minnow because the contain the guts where the beifical oils etc are

the role of nutrition on disease control for fish in an aquarium should NOT be overstated.

Some manifestation of diseases are NOT related to nutrition; they are more the direct consequence of physical capitvity; that is the confinement of a small body of water recycled over and over again. This closed system fundamentally alters the dilution effect of water.

I'm a big fan of large (natural reef) quantities of food, which if it's good food, I would imagine would best the chances of disease recovery. However I can see how a small QT setup would keep the pathogens confined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back