Fish jumpers and Smooth weir

NaCi

Hey guys I bought my glass to build my smooth weir but I'm still not sure about what to do with the possible jumpers. I've thought of a few different designs but I want to see if anybody has a better idea. My weir is 38" long in my 48" length 70 gallon so its a rectangular box shape. I want to have as much surface skimming as possible so I don't want to do something that will obstruct the flow of water over the weir.

The first way I thought is to silicone two thin little glass squares on the corners of the weir and then just sit a pane of thin glass on top. I decided that it wouldn't work because the glass could fall off and cause damage and the glass squares will stop flow on the corners of the weir.

The 2nd way I am thinking is to add a longer pane of glass, lets say 44". Then I'll have 3" left on each side of the weir to add triangle supports slightly above the weir top. So no livestock can go in and water flow won't be interrupted. The glass triangle supports will have a little vertical lip so that the pane of glass wont slide off and I won't have to silicone it to the supports for maintenance reasons. Something like this.

http://s634.photobucket.com/user/black_keys09/media/20150205_200633-1.jpg.html

What do you guys think? Please let me know of any other ideas. Thanks everybody.

I was considering a similar flat "cover" but as two pieces at a 90 or one bent acrylic and attach reef safe magnets to hold to the back panel of the tank. I can't draw it

The biggest reasons that fish jump over the weir is to get away from the poor conditions in the tank. This is listed at the very top of a rather short list. Fish are underwater creatures, and they are not fond of getting out of the water. If you train your fish to be surface feeders, which marine fish are not by nature (not the critters we keep anyway) you are more likely to get jumpers that see a fly over the tank and jump for the food. Part of the myth of this is hobbyists looking for reasons other than those which land squarely in their husbandry of the system, this is hardly if ever mentioned on forums, however, if you research it, you will find it stated in much the same manner. :)

Teeth do not stop this, and using screens and such results in dead fish, rather than a roller coaster to the sump (depending on size.)

Hey guys I bought my glass to build my smooth weir but I'm still not sure about what to do with the possible jumpers.

I am currently the (knowing) victim of a RR mass-market tank with corner overflows. Said overflows have teeth, and I made a pair of close fitting acrylic 'pizza slices' to cover the top. It is impossible for a fish, or adult snail, to find its way into the overflow. It is possible for a fish, or snail, to end up on top of the cover .... Haven't had a fish die up there yet, but lots of snails. Up to you to decide what's worse, I suppose. Thinking about redesigning my covers so that they have a broader edge running all the way up to my screen tops (only about an inch).

Reef magnets? hmm. That sounds useful

I see... so tank conditions have a lot to do with it. I thought some fish were just jumpers. Well I do think they would be okay if they were siphoned to the sump if it ever did happen as long as I catch them in time. Maybe I am worrying too much about it.

ca1ore That is one worry I had about fish getting stuck on top of the shield and not being able to flop back in the water.

I hope to convert my corner flow tank to a coast to coast in the near future. This is my plan - a piece of acrylic with a ledge extending down but ending above the surface of the water flowing over the over flow.

I figure it should keep most critters out, and if anybody does make it through they can ride the roller coaster.

C2CCover1_zps9a0b2442.jpg

C2Ccover2_zpse64263d5.jpg

I hope to convert my corner flow tank to a coast to coast in the near future. This is my plan - a piece of acrylic with a ledge extending down but ending above the surface of the water flowing over the over flow.

I figure it should keep most critters out, and if anybody does make it through they can ride the roller coaster.

C2CCover1_zps9a0b2442.jpg

C2Ccover2_zpse64263d5.jpg

Thats a good idea sleepydoc. I bet it will look nice with that black acrylic.

If you angled it like a little awning that overhangs the weir they might slide back in.

Many fish jump to avoid stress, but some gobies naturally leap between shallow pools so it's not always bad husbandry. I think that's just their natural reaction like another fish would zip into a bolt hole, which wouldn't necessarily indicate poor conditions. Sometimes life is stressful, and the weir confuses them.
The good thing about a screen is it stops carpet surfing too

I just built a little guard that surrounds the intakes of my BA over flow. Keeps them out of the sump but I can easily fish them out. Only happened once with one of my clowns.

I just used some gutter guard and zip ties.

This is what I came up with. Using egg crate, it just sits on top of the smooth weir up against the back wall. It is two pieces and there is a center brace at the top of the weir on the inside. Works great

Attachments

• weir 1.jpg
    weir 1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 0
  • weir 2.jpg
    weir 2.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 0
Back