fish suggestions?

Eville

I currently have a 75 gallon reef aquarium that has been established for over a year now. I've always kept my fish stock low but Im wanting to finish off my stocklist until I upgrade in the future. Im looking for an active fish who can keep up with my pair of clowns.. they've become very aggressive, except towards fish who fight back. then they totally leave them alone. any suggestions?

current list:
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Starry Blenny
Pair of Black Ocellaris*sp

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

also another question: would adding an anemone or a decent size frogspawn help with the clowns aggression? they aren't really mean, only when fish get near the rock they lay eggs on, which happens to be in the center of the tank -.-

has anyone had success pairing blennys or coris wrasses? I enjoy paired fish as well..

Add a couple of small Halichoeres Chrysus (yellow "coris"), or perhaps a big one and a little one (this worked for me).

I also just bought two tailspot blennies from the same tank in a LFS. From their behavior I suspect they are a pair; time will tell.

I'm not sure about starry blennies but if I were to try pairing them then I would really prefer to see them in the same tank prior to purchase. That way you can observe their interactions.

oh ok thanks, and yeah I was thinking the same thing about the blenny. My starry seems to stand his/her ground.

any other suggestions/input?

I really like my royal gramma and chalk bass. They are hardy and beautiful and while they hide at first, once established they stand their ground and stay out in the open most of the time. I have black and white clowns too with no problem, but I don't think they are spawning yet.

Yeah you can never go wrong with a royal gramma. I really want to try a leopard wrasse, and that's the direction I'm leaning towards at the moment. I've got a great connection with someone who can get rose anemones for a great price as well. Has anyone had success with leopard wrasses from LA?

You could get a kole or Tommi tang, and as far as pairing fish like wrasses you maybe able to accomplish this but it would be better suited to a bigger tank. The anemone would possibly just change what part of th tank the clowns are aggresive near not sure it would do anything long term

Oh ok I thought about a kole tang. These are the fish I thought about adding:

1 mandarin goby
1 orange banded goby (previous one jumped, aquarium now covered)
1 leopard wrasse
1 kole tang or flame angel

Tank has been set up for over a year, plenty of pods and soon I will be adding a refugium

That's a great idea as I've seen them paired in my LFS a few times before... Will definitely look into that idea instead of the kole/flame.. Thanks !

Back