fishb stuck behind rockwall

okkiedokki

I have a rockwall I made out of eggcrate, live rock, and foam. I siliconed it to my tank so it would float away. Well I got a new fish yesterday, a solar fairy wrasse. I don't know how to get him out. He isn't pinned down but I am not sure that he can get out. Does anyone know what I can do?

He's stuck on this side.
DSCN1168.jpg

Problem is i did pry it out enough were he could swim and he just worked himself deeper in and it's almost impossible to see him let alone take a picture.

For reference here's the other side of the tank.
DSCN1169.jpg

It's kinda hard to see...but is it right where the flash reflection is? If the fish moved on your first attempt that a good sign. Here's an idea,:idea: take some air line tubing and snake it thru where the fish is. Then cut the tubing so you can blow thru it. And with puffs of your air try to blow and push the fish free. Poor fishy.:sad1:

Well if you look at the pipe that in the tank and drilled, the fish (solar fairy wrasse) between that and the glass wall, but about 6-10" down the length of the tank. He was closer to the pipe last night and somehow worked himself deeper down the length of the tank overnight. I did pump some mysis shrimp back to him last night. I'm not sure if he ate but he did move a round a bit.

Cardo: I'll try what you suggested, I think if I can get him into the corner I'll remove the pipe and suck him up with flex pvc that I have laying around. If that doesn't work I I'm affraid the wall may be coming down, if he's still alive that is.

I'm so bummed, I loved that fish. :worried2::worried2:

Problem is i did pry it out enough were he could swim and he just worked himself deeper in and it's almost impossible to see him let alone take a picture.
If I am picturing this right, now he could be stuck. You might have pinned him when you released the wall back to the original position. I would either take it down, or wedge something in there to create space until he comes out.

Well he does keep moving around, he shifted his body slightly this morning, well after I had pried the wall a bit. If I see he's still alive, when I get off work, I'm more then likely just going to tear the wall down. I think that's the only way to get him out, he's really deep behind the rock wall. I should have just sprayed the foam directly onto the back of the tank, I wouldn't be having this issue now. :sad2:

I have heard of people siphoning fish out of tight spots with a large enough diameter hose. Or maybe yiu can lure him with some meaty food on a tiny fish hook. But yank him out fast if you get him on the hook so he doesn't get tangled up.

I tried the hook last night. It got stuck because there's almost no room back there and now i can't get that out either.

IME wrasses tend hide when first introduced. Poking at it when it is trying to hide is not going to get it out any quicker. Leave it alone and it should come out on its own.

IME wrasses tend hide when first introduced. Poking at it when it is trying to hide is not going to get it out any quicker. Leave it alone and it should come out on its own.

Alright I just got home and looked behind the wall. He is swimming around a bit. I put some mysis back there for him and turned off the closed loop, the pipe you see in the picture, so the food doesn't get sucked back into the tank. I will let him be for a while. How long should I wait before I panic again to get him out?

Just got back from work. I'm glad to here other reef central members are giving input.:thumbsup: I didn't think about removing the pipe (duh). If what your doing doesn't seem to work, maybe you put something in-between the wall and tank. I know that he swam deeper but just leave the wedge in place. Then maybe like tedmc2 said, let him swim out on his own.

My wrasse is still behind the wall. He hasn't moved since last night, but I saw his eyes moving back and forth so I think he is OK. I still can't get him to move closer to the corner though but I really haven't tried anything. I wanted to thank everyone for their help.

Just an update, the wrasse came out from behind the wall minutes ago and has found a spot to hide in under the overhang. I'm so excited!

2009-12-06_164429.jpg

Cruddy image but i took it on my phone quickly.

Back