Fishless cycle

Reignfire

Hey I just started cycling a tank with dry rock and dry sand. I added Dr Tims One and Only and have been adding his ammonia per the directions. It’s currently day 5 and have yet to see any nitrite or a reduction in ammonia. I was under the impression I should be seeing that by now. I also checked for nitrate just incase its blowing past the nitrite spike but zero on nitrate as well.

Ph - 8
Ammonia 2-4
Nitite - 0
Nitrate - 0

20 gallon with about 15 lbs if dry rock and 15 lbs of dry sand.

Bad batch of bacteria or wait longer?

Patience! A couple weeks for the ammonia cycle, then a couple weeks for the nitrite cycle is not uncommon.

Kevin

I’m not running lights or any media. I have a power head and a heater that’s all. I dont mind waiting I was just curious because I looked into this before starting and people were definitely into their cycle by day 5

I’m not running lights or any media. I have a power head and a heater that’s all. I dont mind waiting I was just curious because I looked into this before starting and people were definitely into their cycle by day 5
Every tank is alittle different. You started with dry rock and sand. That alone will take time to populate beneficial bacteria. What testing kit? I promise, your tank will cycle. LOL. Happy reefing.

What brand test kits would you recommend?
I don’t even buy the nitrite and ammonia kits, waste of money.
Rock, sand, saltwater, Dr.Tim’s (or whatever) 5 days and then I add 1-2 hardy type fish.
Done this dozens of times, never an issue.

I do use the following:

For nutrient control:
Nitrate…..Hanna HR or Salifert.
Phosphate…..Hanna UL Phosphorus…no substitute.

When you get to the point of maintaining hard corals….another three test.
Alk…Hanna
MG…Salifert
CA….Salifert.
IMM, these are the current best keeping accuracy and price in mind.

API is not fine enough for reef IMO, however I do use the API for PH.

I use Hannas and Red Sea test kits, currently. I have used API, Salifert (European reefers, convince me on these), and even Instant Ocean. When I got into the hobby, wasn't much in choice. Enjoy your day.

Back