Fishless Cycling Question

marekt

I’m finishing fishless cycling Dr Tim for last 4 weeks. I had already ammonia down to 0.15 and nitrite down to 0. Based on the instructions I added ammonia 1.5 ppm, checked the next day (24 hours) if the levels are bellow 0.2 which would mean the cycling is done. Unfortunately after 24 hours my levels are still almost same as dosed, so I had to wait about a week for ammonia and nitrite to drop again. Than same scenario once again, added ammonia 1.5ppm, wait 24 hours, and it did not change to 0. Do I have to keep repeating this process (dosing ammonia 1.5ppm) til I’ll reach 0 in 24hr ? Not saying that I’m not patient, just want to make sure I’m doing it the right way. My nitrates are 40 ppm now, so I know it’s working. What’s your experience or suggestions please?

Do I have to keep repeating this process (dosing ammonia 1.5ppm) til I’ll reach 0 in 24hr ? Not saying that I’m not patient, just want to make sure I’m doing it the right way. My nitrates are 40 ppm now, so I know it’s working. What’s your experience or suggestions please?

I would give it another week or more as needed. Sounds like your doing it correctly.

I was always amazed by how the tanks I set up would each have their own chemical "personality," often in stark contrast to hopes, expectations and what the "instructions" said would happen. The constant always seemed to be controlling the worry. I'd also consider bypassing additives of any kind (aside from alk, mag and CA) to observe the organic processes and timing present in your tank. Good luck!

What size tank do you have, and what surface area for your biological filtration? My thought is that if your tank can't process ammonia in 24 hours, perhaps it's because there isn't enough surface area for the ammonia-consuming bacteria to grow to sufficient culture size.

Kevin

120g tank with rocks

Attachments

• photo411605.jpg
    photo411605.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 8
Back