Flagfin keep scratching

tah532

I recently switched tanks from a 90gallon with all HOB filter stuff, to a 75gallon with a sump and skimmer. All my parameters of fine, nitrites are near zero, nitrates are low, salinity is 20, and temp is 78-79degrees. The Flagfin seems healthy other then constantly scraping against the liverock and he is very good at scraping of a scale or two. There is no disease looking specks or what not on his body, other then the small gashes and blood specks. Could this be some type of disease or is he just stressed out from the big move? My coral beauty who used to be abused by the flagfin is now bothering the flagfin and other fish. So just wondering what i should do to help. He eats fine and is swimming fine, not hiding too much.

Nitrites being near zero is not a good thing. Can you use a new test kit that will definately show up the presence of ANY nitrites?

Nitrites can affect the fish's gills very quickly first causing irritation and then injury and then finally, permanent damage resulting in death. Even a low exposure over a long period of time has negative effects. Some fish are more suseptible than others. The CB will tolerate some nitrites, but I'm unsure of the Flagfin's reaction to nitrites.

Anyway, a sign of gill problems is usually seen first as flashing (scratching).

Back