Flame Angel, breathing hard, top of tank

jderimig

Last day or so, flame breathing heavy, hangout out near surface of tank, lost appetite.

No obvious syptoms or spots. Notice over last several days taking more and more cleaner shrimp cleanings.

Thinking of moving to HT with CP. Bad or good idea?

How long have you had him? what are the water parameters? Also do you have a good water circulation (could be lack of oxygen)?

Had him about 7 weeks. Water is 0,0,nil (amm, nitrite, nitrate). SG ~1.024

I am suspecting velvet due to his growing willingness to let the Skunk shrimp clean his mouth and gills recently.

Had him about 7 weeks. Water is 0,0,nil (amm, nitrite, nitrate). SG ~1.024

I am suspecting velvet due to his growing willingness to let the Skunk shrimp clean his mouth and gills recently.

Behaviorally, I agree. But velvet normally exhibits much quicker unless the fish was in chemically treated water that can cause it to be masked.

More info: I lost a clown about 10 days ago. Reason unknown. I was away my spouse disposed of it, I didn't get a chance to see the carcass.

Any spots? Have you done a FW dip to see if it is flukes? Have you added anything to the tank since the angel?

On its side this morning. Whatever it is, it progressing quickly. No spots. Put in the HT tank with CP but I am sure its too late.

Is there excess mucus? I would do a FW dip immediately. If it is flukes or brook the a FW dip will help. It will knock off the flukes and brook parasites and buy you some time. If it is velvet then CP is reported to help but it may be too late. Do you have any formalin or Quick Cure on hand?

Is there excess mucus? I would do a FW dip immediately. If it is flukes or brook the a FW dip will help. It will knock off the flukes and brook parasites and buy you some time. If it is velvet then CP is reported to help but it may be too late. Do you have any formalin or Quick Cure on hand?

Actually for velvet, CP is the treatment of choice.

More info: I lost a clown about 10 days ago. Reason unknown. I was away my spouse disposed of it, I didn't get a chance to see the carcass.

When was that fish introduced? Assuming the parasite was transmitted from the clown, we are on a time line for brook or velvet but not ich. That information would have been useful.

When was that fish introduced? Assuming the parasite was transmitted from the clown, we are on a time line for brook or velvet but not ich. That information would have been useful.

The fish is gone. Fresh water dip just prior to death did not reveal any obvious parasites dropping off.

Clown that died was introduced about 17 days ago.

The fish is gone. Fresh water dip just prior to death did not reveal any obvious parasites dropping off.

Clown that died was introduced about 17 days ago.

Yes. Definitely velvet or brook. All fish in that tank are susceptible. Leave the tank fallow for six weeks.

They are fine as they cannot act as a host to brook or velvet. All fish, however must be treated. Read the stickies.

Thanks, I have read the stickies and even understand it.

I have a QT set up with CP. However CP is not a treatment for Brook as I understand it. Do I need to treat for both sequentially or is there a single treatment for both?

If my remaining two fish (clown and pink spot goby) do not exhibit symptoms after a few weeks do I still need to treat them?

If my remaining two fish (clown and pink spot goby) do not exhibit symptoms after a few weeks do I still need to treat them?

The problem is that a small percentage of fish can develop temporary (six months) immunity to velvet but are still carriers of it. Any fish in a velvet infected tank must be treated.

Back