Flame Angels

digger4rc

I have found a wide range of tank size requirements for flame angels. Everything from "anything over 20 gallons" to "nothing less than 90 gallons." Same thing on the reef safe statements. So:

What are your thoughts about tank size for flame angels?
What are your thoughts about reef compatibility for flame angels?
If you have a flame angel, what size tank and what cohabitants?

I currently have various zoas, hammer, blasto, "rainbow" nem, Carpenter wrasse, Firefish, Yellow Watchman, and a pistol. Probably going to add a Royal Gramma, couple Perculas, and some more zoas/LPS. Tank is a sumpless 55g with HOB chaeto/pod farm, skimmer, and no-tumble pellets. Nitrates/Phosphates are undetectable despite my tendency to feed heavy.

I had one in a 75 and he did fine. Reef-safe? Nope, had to get rid of it. He started picking on my SPSs very quickly. Some say you might get lucky, methinks eventually all might develop a taste for it.

What are your thoughts about tank size for flame angels?

I would NOT put one in ANYTHING less than 100-125 gallons. They're good sized as adults, even for a "dwarf angel". They are avid swimmers. They LOVE to swim. Kind of like the Hippo Tang of "angel" family.
Flame angels are NOT really an angel fish at all. They are in The DAMSEL family. They CAN get territorial, ESPECIALLY when they get older!
JMHO!

I would stay nothing less than 70 gallons with live rock. Some of them are hit or miss with corals, that's why you see most of their profiles say "with caution". Now that note, I would add the Flame Angel last because it is known sometimes to be aggressive. In a 55 gallon with those peaceful fish, I would not recommend it. Maybe try the Cheurb Dwarf Angel which is less aggressive than the Flame.

I would stay nothing less than 70 gallons with live rock. Some of them are hit or miss with corals, that's why you see most of their profiles say "with caution". Now that note, I would add the Flame Angel last because it is known sometimes to be aggressive. In a 55 gallon with those peaceful fish, I would not recommend it. Maybe try the Cheurb Dwarf Angel which is less aggressive than the Flame.

This 100% I've got a Cherub Angel and it's a great fish. It does nip at corals but that is subsiding fairly quickly. The nipping isn't enough to do any damage either. From what I can gather any "reef safe" fish or "with caution" is a gamble from each individual. With a Cherub you can go as low as 30 gals

I just added a flame angel to my 55 this weekend that has a pair of clowns, orange spotted goby, zoas, Xenia, Kenya trees, and a toadstool leather and it's doing great so far. I could see them picking at corals if there is no algae present or they are underfed but so far mine is just picking at algae and seems happy. I also feed Reef Frenzy which it started eating after a couple days. Most of what I read online was 55-70 minimum

I just added a Flame Angel to my 55 this weekend and it seems to be doing well. It also houses a pair of juvenile clowns, an orange spotted goby, Xenia, Zoa's, Toadstool Leather, and Kenya Trees. I see it picking a lot at the rocks eating algae but I have not seen it bother any coral yet. I also feed Reef Frenzy twice a day which the Flame started eating on the 2nd day. Most of what I read online leads me to believe if it has algae to graze on and is kept fed it won't bother corals much. It definitely enjoys lots of rocks to swim in/around, it spends most of the day swimming through the caves between my rocks. It's been friendly to the clowns and goby although the goby keeps opening his mouth when they get close but he's always been a bit of an a-hole anyway.

I would NOT put one in ANYTHING less than 100-125 gallons. They're good sized as adults, even for a "dwarf angel". They are avid swimmers. They LOVE to swim. Kind of like the Hippo Tang of "angel" family.
They CAN get territorial, ESPECIALLY when they get older!
JMHO!

Corrected mistype. Thanks!

I currently have one in my 90 gallon and it does not nip at any coral and is not the slightest bit aggressive it is very active and eats like a pig

I keep one in a 65 gallon with many soft corals and discoma . It doesn't nip them noticeably I've also kept one for a long time in a 40g. Scott W.Micahael in "Aquarium Fishes" pg 217notes: maximum length 3.9inches , minimum aqaurtium size: 20gal. I'd avoid putting morethan one cetropyge angel in moist tanks.' they fight.

I wouldn't trust it with the blatomossa or zoantids, personally.

Got one doing well in a 40b with all LPS. No aggression, no notable picking, he just kinda of swims around gingerly and picks at live rocks. Readily accepts prepared foods. I've seen a ton of people keep them in 28/29 cubes with no signs of aggression. I think with any fish that are not 100% reef safe there is a hit or miss with corals.

I had one in a mixed reef. Left all corals alone as far as I can tell, but any new SPS added would lose polyp extension within a week. I rehomed him on Sunday and picked up a new SPS frag that still has PE. If it stays that way then most likely it was the flame angel and hopefully the rest of my SPS polyps will return in time.

Thanks everyone. I was leaning away from it, but now I think it is a definite no-go. My infantile coral collection doesn't need help staying small. Shame though, a dependable LFS has several ready for new homes.

Thanks everyone. I was leaning away from it, but now I think it is a definite no-go. My infantile coral collection doesn't need help staying small. Shame though, a dependable LFS has several ready for new homes.

I Think i want one for my Pond..... There are only a few fish in it now..

They are beautiful. It's one of the reasons' I set up a separate tank with just hardy fast growing softies and some questionable "reef safe" fish.

Back