Florida Keys snorkeling locations

Thanks for asking. We are fine and so is our house. But we are very, very concerned for the Keys and the reefs. We are scheduled to do a 2 night camping trip to the Dry Tortugas the middle of October. We have some serious doubts about whether the trip will happen or not. I'll post info here as we get closer.

As for us, we just barely dodged a huge bullet!

Most important, we are OK, our house only lost a few shingles, our yard only lost a couple of small trees and some other tree limbs and my tank only lost a few fish. But considering how close we came to losing everything, we are very grateful to Mother Nature for turning Irma ashore south of us. Here is how it happened.

You see, we are about 1.5 miles inland on a peninsula and 9 feet above sea level. As Irma was to track up the east coast we would be fine, very windy, but fine. As the track migrated west over a couple of days, and as big as Irma was, the wind event looked worse, but still, we can survive a 100+ mph wind. But then the track migrated even further west and we were going to get the 125 to 140 mph wind. But we decided to stay and ride it out.

As Irma got close on Friday, the track moved a bit further west and we would now get storm surge of 1' to 3' above local ground level. Our house is about 2' to 3' above the street, so we might actually get some water in the house. We also became a mandatory evacuation zone so we evacuated to a friends house about 5 miles north and 15' above sea level. Saturday afternoon they adjusted the surge and our house was in a 3' to 6' above ground level surge. Now we knew we would get some water damage and maybe even some serious damage. Sunday, Irma was predicted to go a bit further west and run up the coastline and the surge at our house was changed again, now at 6' to 9'. At that level we would likely lose almost everything. Even our friend's house became a 1' to 3' zone, but it was too late to move. Winds were already in the 40 mph range and it was raining very hard. Elaine and I just discussed the fact that we would assess the damage, deal with insurance companies and make the most of starting over. The financial side of it wasn't a big deal; we are retired and have a healthy nest egg and are well insured. But who wants to start over in their late 60's?

Well, just a few hours later as Irma was closing in on Naples (30 miles south of us) she unexpectedly jogged east and came ashore over Marco Island and up through Naples. Then up I-75 and just east of our house and the house we were staying at. Just far enough east that although we didn't see the eye of the storm, we were in the western side of the eye wall and had 125 mph winds from the north. But all that movement to the east meant that only a couple of very small communities south of Naples (and mostly the Everglades) got the storm surge and our house was back to not seeing any storm surge at all! So in 24 hours we went from; this could be bad, to this is going to be really bad, to this is going to destroy everything we own and back to, we can survive the wind damage! It was an emotional roller coaster. I deal with stress really well, whatever the end result was going to be, I'd just pick myself up and deal with it. But through the whole thing my wife was a nervous wreck!

Now we are home. All the hurricane shutters are stored away and the yard is fairly well cleaned up. We got power back late Tuesday afternoon, way before most other people. And that was a big deal for us as our generator failed (and the stores are empty) and my tanks were at risk. Not to mention 90+ degree heat and no A/C! Now we are looking at a whole house propane generator and a new circuit breaker box that will start the generator and switch over automatically when the electricity goes off for whatever reason. And we lose power here maybe 2 or 3 times a year due to severe thunderstorms and serious lightning.

We were very lucky and I'm very grateful to Mother Nature for the way she steered Irma ashore early. On a more serious note, my heart goes out to everybody in the Keys and out in the Caribbean who got slammed!

The financial side of it wasn't a big deal; we are retired and have a healthy nest egg and are well insured. But who wants to start over in their late 60's?

The financial side of it wasn't a big deal; we are retired and have a healthy nest egg and are well insured. But who wants to start over in their late 60's?

Are you commenting on my statement, or is that your situation as well?

I feel bad for so many people in the Keys who aren't financially secure or maybe not well insured for whom Irma will be a major life altering mess.

Are the keys open to the public yet for snorkeling as I fly down to miami on the 12th to the 18th and wanted to have a 3 day snorkel trip to the keys before i left

As I understand it, the Keys are open to anybody, but a lot of things you might want while there are still closed. The motel we use in Marathon, The Blackfin Resort, is closed. All the state parks are closed until further notice. I checked with a couple of charter scuba/snorkel operators and they were closed as well.

I'd check with http://www.keysrecovery.org/ or google 'Florida Keys Recovery' and you'll get a good over all idea of what is going on at the time you get to Miami.

Our trip to Ft Jefferson and the Dry Tortugas has been cancelled as the National Park is also closed until further notice.

The Keys are open ! Come visit and eat at your favorite establishment , stay at your
favorite resort , and dive and snorkel with your favorite dive shop . I can only speak
for Key Largo as our shop is there . We need visitors so come on down !
http://www.seadwellers.com

The upper keys are open when I visited a couple weeks ago, went snorkeling at John Pennekamp, the water temp was nice but a little cloudy, WARNING we encountered lots of jelly fish, several people in the boat got hit including me, it was hard to avoid near the Christ statue, here a little video a shot.
https://youtu.be/S61g_IuGX3Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alot of things are open now i went october 12-18 to the keys and went snorkeling on french reef and molasses reef both seemed quite sad lots of fish but not much corals, all the public beaches are open as we also went to annes beach in islamorada and smathers beach in key west great time the water temp was in the 80s that morning we went snorkeling

Had great conditions on the reef this weekend ! Blue water and north winds
made for excellent dives . Had a big group in and everyone enjoyed themselves .

Sea Dwellers

I'd love to go snorkeling soon, but the high temp in Cape Coral, Fl today is forecast to be 48F... brrrrrr!

On a side note the History of Diving Museum in the Keys had an all time record yesterday with 125 visitors. We've been there and it's well worth the visit. Lots of nice displays and some crazy expensive dive helmets among the 3 or 4 dozen in their interactive display!

It is a bit cold in the Keys ! The History of Diving Museum is well
worth the trip . Happy Holidays !

Sea Dwellers

Attachments

• IMG_0933.jpg
    IMG_0933.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1
Since there is so little going on here during the cold, I'll tell you about our experience walking the beach here in SW Florida. Yesterday my wife and I went out to the Lighthouse Beach on Sanibel and did some collecting. The best days only happen a few times a year, in the winter, after a rare cold front passes through. That only happens 3 to 6 times from November to March. The front brings winds from the NW which never happens any other time here and they wash more good live stuff up on the beach. My wife collects shells and takes photos, I tear apart sponges looking for small critters. It was a fun day as we both have just started doing volunteer work for the Bailey Mathews National Shell Museum as Shell Ambassadors. We help the snowbirds and vacationers idea shells and explain the beach eco systems. I draw a lot of attention because I'm the only one tearing sponges apart.

Yesterday's collections:

4 yellow snapping shrimp (aka pistol shrimp)

3 green snapping shrimp

10-12 porcelain crabs in various sizes and colors

2 amenones

Finally a sea squirt tunicate that is a bit bigger than a golf ball

The tunicate in in my 65g shallow reef and has burried itself in the sand with just the tip of it's... it's... mouth(?) sticking out of the sand.

You may be right, but I wouldn't bet on it as a sea cucumber or a tunicate as yet.

I was unsure just what it was when I collected it, but I was quite sure it wasn't illegal to collect per Sanibel Island, Lee County and State of Florida rules. I've collected and found lots of local sea cucumbers and they all have a different shape than this animal, they are more cigar shaped where this animal is very round with just a bit of cone shape at one end. Sea Cucumbers also have both feeding intake (with mouth parts) and an excrement end and act like worms. This animal has just one opening at the tip of the cone and both inhales and exhales water from this hole as if it were breathing.

It does look somewhat similar to a Sclerodactyla briareus, which is a cucumber, but it's more round and again, only one opening. Our best guess is that it's a Molgula occidentalis which is in fact a sandy-skinned tunicate. But I'm not 100% sure either.

You may be right, but I wouldn't bet on it as a sea cucumber or a tunicate as yet.

I was unsure just what it was when I collected it, but I was quite sure it wasn't illegal to collect per Sanibel Island, Lee County and State of Florida rules. I've collected and found lots of local sea cucumbers and they all have a different shape than this animal, they are more cigar shaped where this animal is very round with just a bit of cone shape at one end. Sea Cucumbers also have both feeding intake (with mouth parts) and an excrement end and act like worms. This animal has just one opening at the tip of the cone and both inhales and exhales water from this hole as if it were breathing.

It does look somewhat similar to a Sclerodactyla briareus, which is a cucumber, but it's more round and again, only one opening. Our best guess is that it's a Molgula occidentalis which is in fact a sandy-skinned tunicate. But I'm not 100% sure either.
Its an odd critter for sure, I have never seen a tunicate with only one spout, or that moves more than just inflating and deflating. To me it looked like a sea apple in the picture.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Its an odd critter for sure, I have never seen a tunicate with only one spout, or that moves more than just inflating and deflating. To me it looked like a sea apple in the picture.

Just looked at the pictures again, definitely not a sea apple

This site really needs a like button! Ron I always enjoy reading your posts...a big fan of yours

Thank you! I guess it's party due to my desire to keep learning and my enthusiasm for the hobby and for the marine environment. For me, I think snorkeling is as close as I'm ever going to get to being able to watch what looks like very alien type creatures up close and personal. And becoming a Bailey Mathews National Shell Museum volunteer Shell Ambassador has opened up a whole new venue for me.

Just looked at the pictures again, definitely not a sea apple

I believe (not 100% sure) sea apples are exclusive to the Pacific Ocean and wouldn't be in the Caribbean.

The two I have at home now are virtually invisible as they bury themselves in the sand and only leave the very small 'snout' above the surface. I'll see about finding one and getting more photos. I'll also ask the 3 marine biologists that work at the museum what they think.

Back