Florida Keys snorkeling locations

Absolutely stunning pictures. Thanks for sharing. It has been way too long since my last dive trip to the Florida Keys....although the recent great white shark sightings would have me a little on edge. Loved diving Looe key reef the best. Fantastic underwater pictures!

aquavista, thanks for the compliments on the photos my wife took, she says she can't wait to get her first picture of a great white shark in the Florida Keys! But she figures her chances are better at winning the Florida Lottery... and she doesn't buy tickets. We know there have been a couple of sightings, but there have been some recent flying saucer sightings in the Everglades on the local news as well. :lol:

Seriously though, there are sharks all over the place down here. I saw a video from a helicopter just off shore near Tampa. Hundreds of people on the beach and in the water and just the other side of a shallow sandbar there were just as many sharks as people swimming parallel to the beach. If you don't smell like blood in the water (or dead fish) and you don't go all freaky and start flailing about like a 3 year old having a temper tantrum when you see a shark, odds are 1,000,000 to 1 it will just swim by.

Since 2010 Florida has averaged 2 people per year killed by lightning and over the same time span only 1 person, a kite surfer along the east coast of Central Florida, was killed by a shark.

Last edited:
Sharks are no big deal at all here in Florida. I've lived in Sarasota FL my whole life and very active on the water. When I was younger we used to catch bull sharks off the same dock we jumped and swam off of. They are everywhere in the water but chances are like the above post stated you will not get bit. I have been in the water and seen many sharks as well and I have never had a issue with any of them, they seam to keep their distance and do not disturb you if you don't bother them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Well finally went out to money key to see what Ron is always talking about and it was beautiful. There was so much life the second we stepped off the boat. We saw tons of corals, fish and inverts. We docked on the farthest side away from the bridge in about 4-5 foot of water and swam to the island and then snorkeled for hours. We had a blast but had to go because one of our motors was having a problem and we were tired from battling the current. Definetly one of the best shallow places I've gotten to dive.

Speedfreak241, a few questions if you don't mind.

1) Were you at Money Key on the oceanside of the Seven Mile Bridge or Little Money Key on the Florida Bay side of the bridge?

It seems both islands are best on the sides that face away from the bridge. Little Money is quite different from Money, but just as interesting. Really glad to hear that you enjoyed the snorkel.

Tidal currents can be fairly strong around any of the islands. We use to plan to be out before slack tide so we could have an easy go of it. But we've found that up close to either island the currents weren't so strong.

2) Since you are kind of local to the Keys, do you get down there to snorkel very often?

3) Speedfreak241, that's an interesting screen name. What's it about? I ask because I use to race sports cars and still do autocross and track days with my Miata.

4) How's the outboard?

1. I was at money key on the ocean side facing away from the bridge.

2. Even though I'm local I don't get to snorkel down at money key often because our house in in Islamorada and it takes a lot of fuel to get down there.

3. My screen name comes from one of my old dragsters. It was called speed demon and was painted with a nice old flame paint job. The nickname speed freak kinda stuck because we were always shooting to be the fastest car. As for the 241 that was my old racing number.

4. The motor itself is fine but when we almost sunk the boat a month back when we left the back hatch unsealed and tried to launch it in a steep boat ramp, it corroded a wire and isn't letting the motor turn over correctly so it makes it hard to start. It's an easy fix since the guy who owns the boat is a outboard mechanic.

Reefman while at marathon one day was too rough so we went to the bay side. I saw a purple tip anenome and a baby blue tang. I was a little surprised to find the little anenome in a grassy mangrove type area.

I made it out to Sombrero reef and it was nice. Thanks for all the advice and this thread I can't wait to go back.

Went out fishing for mahi this week. A lot of boaters out there. But the weather was great so that helps out with the craziness.
Caught a nice sized filefish while out there. And 4 babies ones the size of a finger nail.

Reefman while at marathon one day was too rough so we went to the bay side. I saw a purple tip anenome and a baby blue tang. I was a little surprised to find the little anenome in a grassy mangrove type area.

I made it out to Sombrero reef and it was nice. Thanks for all the advice and this thread I can't wait to go back.

You're welcome, I'm really happy to try and help out and that you enjoyed the Keys! My wife and I will be down in the Middle Keys again in mid June with about 20 members of our local saltwater aquarium club.

I started this thread so people who don't scuba dive and don't have a boat could find places to snorkel and get some of the same kind of underwater experiences that divers do. And if you live close enough to the area, you can do some collecting for your personal aquarium at home. I live just over 4 hours from the Middle Keys. And with the right equipment I have been able to keep everything I collect alive for the trip home until I can get them into my 65g shallow reef tank.

If you got out to Sombrero reef and liked it, next time get out to Looe Key reef. Bahia Honda State Park has a charter and several independent outfits go out there as well. I think it has much better shallow water (less than 15 ft) corals. But not the big stuff that Sombrero has in the deeper water which is better for scuba divers.

The purple tip anemone is a Condy. They are pretty common in the Keys and as of a year or two ago have become protected in Florida. They vary from mostly white with purple tips to all purple. Very often they are home to the anemone shrimp which can be VERY difficult to see. They hide quickly and are mostly clear with some small spots on their body.

You're welcome, I'm really happy to try and help out and that you enjoyed the Keys! My wife and I will be down in the Middle Keys again in mid June with about 20 members of our local saltwater aquarium club.

I started this thread so people who don't scuba dive and don't have a boat could find places to snorkel and get some of the same kind of underwater experiences that divers do. And if you live close enough to the area, you can do some collecting for your personal aquarium at home. I live just over 4 hours from the Middle Keys. And with the right equipment I have been able to keep everything I collect alive for the trip home until I can get them into my 65g shallow reef tank.

If you got out to Sombrero reef and liked it, next time get out to Looe Key reef. Bahia Honda State Park has a charter and several independent outfits go out there as well. I think it has much better shallow water (less than 15 ft) corals. But not the big stuff that Sombrero has in the deeper water which is better for scuba divers.

The purple tip anemone is a Condy. They are pretty common in the Keys and as of a year or two ago have become protected in Florida. They vary from mostly white with purple tips to all purple. Very often they are home to the anemone shrimp which can be VERY difficult to see. They hide quickly and are mostly clear with some small spots on their body.
I have always loved aquariums and when I hit that water my mind was blown. I want to go there again next year. I did some deep sea fishing in Mexico and it was cool, but I would much rather see them then catch them lol. I definitely need to get to looe key.

I have always loved aquariums and when I hit that water my mind was blown. I want to go there again next year. I did some deep sea fishing in Mexico and it was cool, but I would much rather see them then catch them lol. I definitely need to get to looe key.

Well, I should be able to wet your appetite in a few weeks. We (my wife and I along with our aquarium club) are using a charter that is taking us to Looe Key and giving us an hour in one location on the reef and then a second hour at a different location! I wouldn't be surprised if my wife take 500 to 1000 pictures!

Ron, my wife and I live in Melbourne and are trying to plan a trip to the keys to do some snorkeling off the beach or accessible via kayak (which we will be bringing with us). Where exactly in Bahia Honda should we go to find shallow snorkeling? Where exactly can we collect some snails/stars if I find some cool ones? We've done a good amount of near-shore kayaking the beach so we can travel some decent distance well. Any other must see/non-snorkeling activities between the north keys and Bahia Honda?

LJA, when are you going?

I had a long, detailed reply almost done and then hit a wrong key and closed the website and lost it! :headwalls:

Later tonight or Sunday morning I'll do it again, I'm too frustrated now!:uhoh3:

There’s so much I’d like to tell you. I’ve sent you a PM with my phone number, if you really want detailed help call me. I want people who visit the Keys to snorkel to have as much fun as we do, so I’m happy to share.

These are all shallow (3’to 6’) and even VERY shallow (18” to 3’) snorkel locations.

1) Snorkeling off the Bahia Honda beach is about as good as I’ve ever seen in shallow reef flats in the Florida Keys. Go to the beach at the SW end of the park (there isn’t anything to see at the north beach and very little (but some) at the beach on the NW side of the island. We think the best area is straight out from a big ‘movie’ screen that is just behind the beach and very visible from the water. After 50’ of sandy bottom there is some turtle grass and then the bottom opens up to ball and vase sponges and a lot of colorful smaller sponges. There are lots of gorgonian corals, some macro algae, juvenile tropical fish and lots of other interesting little critters. Less often, but not rarely we’ve seen moray eels, reef squid, sting rays and one time even a 4’ nurse shark. The water is fairly shallow a long way out from the beach and if you go out to where the water is 5’ deep or more it is much more pristine than in the waters closer to the beach. Collecting is not allowed.

2) Snorkeling at Bahia Honda with a kayak is good because there is an island, Little Bahia Honda Key, that is just a 1/2 mile off the beach (it looks closer). BTW, they rent kayaks there for those that don’t have them. There is a VERY shallow reef flat on the NE side of the island. Lots of rocks and more rock boring urchins than I’ve ever seen on one patch reef anywhere! There are even more small inverts here than off the beach mentioned above. But again, no collecting.

3) With the kayak you can put in at a boat ramp right at the end of the Seven Mile Bridge on Little Duck Key, and there are up to 3 islands you can get to depending on your willingness to venture out. And all 3 are open to collecting, just be aware that Florida Fish & Wildlife Commission rangers often stop by the boat ramp to inspect safety gear, legality of caught fish & lobster and legality of collections. A) Little Money Key is a bit less than a ¼ mile from the ramp and the NW side of the island (the side away from the bridge) is a wonderful reef flat. B) Money Key is on the ocean side of the bridge and about a mile from the boat ramp. We think the SE side of the island is best (again, facing away from the bridge), but there is stuff all around. C) Molasses Key is 2.5 miles from the ramp on the same side of the bridge as Little Money. There is great snorkeling here all around the island (actually there are 2 islands). I’ve only been there once myself but if the weather is good (calm water) and visibility is good, we hope to get out there when we go down to the Keys in a couple of weeks with our local Aquarium club.

4) Final good place to snorkel in the area is Spanish Harbor Key. As soon as you get off the bridge (heading south) there is a pull off and at the bottom of a small hill there is a parking lot. On the Florida Bay side (NE end) is an old quarry from the construction of the Flagler RR that is known as The Horseshoe. It extends almost 200 yards out into the water and is over 100 yards wide. Inside its 40’ to 60’ deep (we’ve been told by divers) and there isn’t much there for snorkelers. But all around the quarry on the outside is rocky rubble with lots and lots of rocks to look under. It isn’t very pretty (reef like) but it has tons of character and lots of critters that can be collected. The other ‘special’ point about The Horseshoe is that if the winds are strong and even if visibility is low at other locations, this one is ‘protected’ from most winds by the island and the very shape of the quarry ‘arms’ extending out into the water.

Over the road from the parking lot on the SE side is another good snorkel spot. They just created a ‘walkway’ from the parking lot around the NE end of the island and under the bridge so you don’t need to walk up the hill, cross the road and down the hill on the other side. But it is like all the other sites, subject to wind conditions.

Other points of interest we’d recommend…
If the weather is bad and you don’t mind a 30 minute drive, The History of Diving Museum on Islamorada is a great spot to visit. We spent several hours there, but then we love these kinds of museums.
Also on Islamorada is The Rain Barrel Artisans Village is cool. Out front there is a HUGE fiberglass lobster and the front couple of shops are typical tourist traps shops. But out back there a bunch of much nicer shops and artist workshops.
While you are at Bahia Honda, visit the Nature Center there. It’s small but it has some pretty cool stuff.
If you want some exercise, walk the Flagler RR Bridge from the SW end of Marathon out to Pigeon Key. The starting point was used in the film True Lies with ‘Arnold’ and Jamie Lee Curtis. It’s almost a 2 mile walk out to the end, but then you get to look down on the reef flats around Pigeon Key. We (I) hope to snorkel there some day soon (my wife is pretty iffy about taking an 11’ Zodiac out there). We saw a couple huge Spotted Eagle Rays digging up conch and a huge barracuda and a 6’ shark swim right past each other about 2’ or 3’ apart directly below us as we watched from the bridge. It was like 2 workers passing each other during shift change at a factory! Hi Joe… Hi Sam… that’s it, no emotion and just the minimum recognition that the other was even there. There is also a touristy trinket shop in an old RR car just across from the parking lot.

We have not done much other than snorkel, eat and rest up for the next day when we visit the Keys. We go to get maximum face time looking down into an alien world that we can’t get at home. We’ve visited most of the State Parks, but not many other attractions like the Aquarium Encounter, the Turtle Hospital, the Dolphin Center, the Crane Point Museum & Nature Center or the Theater of the Sea. We’ve been to Key West, but it’s not our cup of tea. On the other hand I’d love to hear what other people who have visited any of these attractions has to say about them.

If you want motel or restaurant suggestions, call me. I’ve probably been too commercial with this post already!

Tropical Storm Curtis is going to pass by us here in SW Florida and head up toward the Big Bend area of Florida. We get some good winds from the west and some rain, but the wind means that 'stuff' will get washed up on the beaches of Sanibel Island. Right now it looks like Wednesday will best the best day, still rainy, but the best day to find stuff alive on the beach. If I go, and I want to, I'll report back here.

And in a couple of weeks we have a Florida Keys snorkel vacation for 5 days.:bounce3:

Tropical Storm Curtis is going to pass by us here in SW Florida and head up toward the Big Bend area of Florida. We get some good winds from the west and some rain, but the wind means that 'stuff' will get washed up on the beaches of Sanibel Island. Right now it looks like Wednesday will best the best day, still rainy, but the best day to find stuff alive on the beach. If I go, and I want to, I'll report back here.

And in a couple of weeks we have a Florida Keys snorkel vacation for 5 days.:bounce3:

I just got back from Sanibel. Have friends in naples and it was raining every single day. In Sanibel it was clear beautiful skies the whole weekend lol left at the perfect time.

On low tide I was able to find some nice critters while walking the beach. Love it there!

TS Colin never blew very hard here and a friend just invited me to go with him to World Wide Corals in Orlando for the day. I've never been so I'm blowing off the beach walk to go see (and maybe buy) some cool corals!

TS Colin never blew very hard here and a friend just invited me to go with him to World Wide Corals in Orlando for the day. I've never been so I'm blowing off the beach walk to go see (and maybe buy) some cool corals!

WWC is a very nice store. they have one of the best show tanks in the from I have ever seen. They are known to have some really nice stuff but can be pricey.

I have a trip to the Bahamas this weekend and was concerned last weekend when I heard about the storm. It seems like it didn't do anything down there as far as I can tell. I live in Jacksonville so it cam right through us but for the most part it was like a bad thunderstorm here. we did get a few tornados but luckily not to bad.

WWC was pretty nice. Two very nice DT's up front. But of all the LFS stores and coral selling locations I ever been to, they had by far the best system for displaying frags and having prices posted and multiple frags to pick from! I ended up with a couple cool frags I've never seen locally. I wish it was closer to home. But a 3 hour drive there to spend and hour looking and buying and then a 3 hour drive home just isn't worth it.

Just a week till we leave for some Keys snorkel time!

WWC was pretty nice. Two very nice DT's up front. But of all the LFS stores and coral selling locations I ever been to, they had by far the best system for displaying frags and having prices posted and multiple frags to pick from! I ended up with a couple cool frags I've never seen locally. I wish it was closer to home. But a 3 hour drive there to spend and hour looking and buying and then a 3 hour drive home just isn't worth it.

Just a week till we leave for some Keys snorkel time!
What'd you get?!?!

Can't just say you got cool frags and not give details.. That's just cruel! Lol

Back