Flow

vyerous

Ok I'm ready to be schooled on flow.

I currently have a koralia 2 and koralia 3. They way it is set up currently is to help create somewhat of a circulating flow meaning I have the 3 on the left side of the tank pointed towards the right side, it is about 4 inches below the surface, angled a bit down, and it is closer to the front of the tank. The koralia 2 is the opposite, on the right side of the tank about 6 inches below the surface, closer to the back of the tank pointing at the left side, pointed horizontal. I have a 55g long tank and this equates to about 26x in flow.

My question is, where should I really point them. I have a few dead spots I'm trying to work out but its hard to get the flow where it won't kick up the sand bed. I'm experimenting with not having flow at the surface (no sump) and seeing if I get enough gas exchange through my hob filter and protein skimmer. On top of that how do I accumulate enough flow while keeping low flow corals happy? I want to up my flow but I'm thinking I should have enough, should I experiment with directions? Do you guys try to create a circulation or a turbulent flow? More small powerheads versus less large powerheads? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Getting the flow right was one of the most frustrating things with setting up my tank. I'd be tweaking the returns and powerheads a few times a day and watching for high/low flow spots; probably took about a month to finally get it to where I was happy with it. I've come to the conclusion that a circular type flow was generally the best to get the most consistent flow to the most areas in my reef. My returns are near the top and discharge almost parallel to the surface with maybe only a slightly downward angle - same as you: pointing right in the back, and pointing left up front. Same goes for my powerheads, except I placed mine down low near the sand and they point slightly upwards. I try to avoid directing any of them towards the sand to avoid the sandstorms, rather all flow is parallel to the sandbed or away from it. Hope this if of some help.
:)

Thanks. Do you have a strong flow coming out of these though or is it just enough to get the water moving. I'm afraid maybe the powerheads have the right amount of turnover but they are too strong for the area they are in.

My return pump (after 4' head) is moving about 900gph, and I have this split two ways.

I also have a Koralia #4, and a #1. I use the #4 in an area that it has plenty of space, and the #1 in tighter confines.

Cool thanks, what kind of corals do you have? Do they seem to be happy with that amount of flow or did you have to move them out of the flow?

Back