Fluconazole - Bryopsis Killer

That's the link that had me confused. When I clicked "buy now" it redirected me to the PayPal website and asked for a product description and price. I have paypal but I haven't really used it... so if you guys wouldn't mind helping me out:hmm5::headwally:

hmm, when I select qty, then click add to cart, it takes me to Paypal site page that display exactly what I selected, with checkout button, pretty straight forward, not sure what is happening on your computer :uhoh3:

If anyone in the East Valley has any extras or wants to do a group buy type of thing I'd be happy to buy some!

I have a tiny bryopsis problem in my 33L, but it's pretty well managed for now.

Where was this miracle thread last year when I so desperately needed it. I think this is the first time I've heard or seen something to deal with a major reef pest so concretely. Now we need the cure for aptasia and AEFW.

Interesting read. I don't have any, but I was curious how other inhabitants reacted. Like anemones polyps and such.

The 29g I dosed has zoas, palys, chalices, cyphastrea, lobos, mushrooms and setosa. Everything looks great. The explanation is that the fluconazole affects a polymer in the cell wall of GHA and Byropsis. Thus it doesn't affect other corals and organisms negatively. It's also an anti-fungal medication.

Works great on athletes foot. You know, it kind of makes sense. Athletes foot can be the bane of your existence just like Bryopsis.

Interesting read. I don't have any, but I was curious how other inhabitants reacted. Like anemones polyps and such.

I have a variety of SPS, Duncan's, zoas, war coral, frogspawn, torch, ricordias, shrooms, rock flower anemones, birdsnest, clowns, gobies, cardinals, wrasses. None of them were affected. Just Bryopsis and hair algaes.

day 7 and mine has all turned a light brown with white tips, some recession. Going to do some manual pulling and let it run the second week to finish off.

day 7 and mine has all turned a light brown with white tips, some recession. Going to do some manual pulling and let it run the second week to finish off.

Don't pull it. Those that have pulled it found it takes longer to die and disappear.

I dont see how removing some makes it take longer to kill less algae? Did they have any reasons for saying so? I didnt see it mentioned on the dark side.

Last edited:
I dont see how removing some makes it take longer to kill less algae? Did they have any reasons for saying so? I didnt see it mentioned on the dark side.

There were some posts on the other site I listed that indicated that when they pulled theirs it took larger. It was felt that removing it after treatment removed the meds that were in the Bryopsis. It was suggested if you were going to pull the Bryopsis do it before you treat the tank.

In my experience, mine turned white quickly in my 45 gallon and was gone in less than 6 days. There were only a few small spots.

In my nano tank which had way more Bryopsis, turned into a matted green mess. I used a turkey baster to blast it apart and I used a net to collect the floating pieces. In that tank it took around 16-20 days for it to disappear.

ok so their theory was if it has absorbed the med and you pull your pulling med out too, although im not sure if the med absorbed into that patch of algae would have affected anything around it unless the algae is all connected by tissue in some way. interested to see how differently it is affecting different systems and strains of algae.

ok so their theory was if it has absorbed the med and you pull your pulling med out too, although im not sure if the med absorbed into that patch of algae would have affected anything around it unless the algae is all connected by tissue in some way. interested to see how differently it is affecting different systems and strains of algae.

Not sure exactly how the Bryopsis absorbs the med, but for most people and for me in my 45 gallon, the tips turned white first and then the white spread down the stems to the "root" part that was attached to the rock. For my hair algae it was similar, just took a lot longer, but it too is now gone.

As an EMT (yeah FF/EMT (Ambulance) for 25 years) the cells are connected. What one gets they all get. If the existing cells absorb , then they get passed to the new cells as they grow. If they are bad off, they all start to die.

Makes sense actually. Not like the body where white blood cells attack the intruder.

so the difference is not that pulling it stops the medication from spread between separate patches of algae, it is that it could leave a root behind that the medication hasn't absorbed down to yet.

so the difference is not that pulling it stops the medication from spread between separate patches of algae, it is that it could leave a root behind that the medication hasn't absorbed down to yet.

Not separate sections, but the same patch.
Think of it like a ladder. As the medicine gets absorb by the top rung it works its way down to the bottom/root. If you break it off it is possible the lower sections do not get enough and therefore do not die, or as quick.

Just ordered 1800 mg for my 90 gallon. Can't wait to kill this crap!! So, how many of you turned off you skimmers during treatment? I don't mind but wouldn't nutrients creep up pretty high once all the algae is dying off and releasing it back into the tank? I am also dosing nopox. Should I stop the nopox until the 14 days is up then resume?
Thanks

Back