Bryopsis / Fluconazole

griss

RC Mod
Staff member
RC Mod
Anyone remember the dosage to treat Bryopsis with Flucon? I’m getting a little cropping up and want to treat. It’s been searching and finding conflicting things.

It’s been a long time since I used it. I thought Habib posted a long time ago a conversion from mg to partial teaspoons or something like that but I can’t find it.

I'm pretty sure it's 20mg per gallon as an all round standard dose. I used fluxRX last time and it had 2 plastic scoops. The bigger scoop is 1 per 25 gallons, and smaller scoop is 1 per 5 gallons.

Thanks Sean. I have some old Flucon powder but I’m not sure how best to measure it out. Like I said, I think Habib posted a conversion from mg to teaspoons at some point but I can’t find it. I was hoping to use what I had instead of buying new😉

Oh, wait, instructions say not to use with a fuge. I didn’t remember that from my previous use. I suppose I could just take the fuge offline???

Oh, wait, instructions say not to use with a fuge. I didn’t remember that from my previous use. I suppose I could just take the fuge offline???
It’s going to kill any caulerpa in the system as well…hence the fuge warning

It’s going to kill any caulerpa in the system as well…hence the fuge warning
I’m wondering about that. I’m reading mixed reviews on its affecting Caulerpa. But, I’m not taking a chance. If i trash, I’ll either completely remove the Caulerpa or disconnect the fuge from the system.

I just ordered maxspect green control. It’s listed as 150mg vs 200mg typically found in the fungicide labels. Everything else is identical in terms of directions for use. I’ve got a feeling that the indications for use on fungus are well in excess of what is required to kill the nuisance algae.

Yup. The fluconazole used as a fungicide indicates (10) 200 mg capsules per 100 gallons. By comparison, the algaecide indicates (10) 150mg capsules per 500 gallons.

Okay, looked through my stuff and here’s what I have from several years ago. Instructions for algae state 20mg per gallon.

It states this dose *should* not affect more advanced algae. I remember no affect on my macros when I used this back then.

Also, found on the back of the instructions a conversion from mg to tsp.

Attachments

• IMG_5682.jpeg
    IMG_5682.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5683.jpeg
    IMG_5683.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5684.jpeg
    IMG_5684.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Well my flucon treatment can’t get here fast enough. I was literally in the tank with a pair of scissors and a siphon yesterday. I had to give the bryopsis a haircut 🤣

I’m meeting someone for a frag trade tomorrow at an LFS I haven’t been to in a very long time. I’ll likely do the treatment then or Sunday. I don’t have a lot of Bryopsis but, want to knock it out before it becomes a problem.

Back