Fluidizing Activated Carbon?

algaeguy

Over-The-Top- Reef Geek
HI everyone:

I'd like to get your opinions and feedback about utilizing activated carbon in a fluidized reactor.

Lately, a number of my reefer friends have been doing this. I'm curious if anyone feels that this is a more efficient way to utilize this media than say, keeping it in a filter bag and running water through it. My friends are utlizing a grade of carbon that is fairly small in particle size; obviously small enough to fluidize.

I suppose that the thinking is that by keeping the media in motion, more surface area is exposed, therefore utilizing it more efficiently. It seems like a good idea. However, I'm wondering if it becomes more "biological" more quickly than in a media bag, similar to a fluidized sand filter? I use carbon in bags currently and am fanatical about regular replacement every couple of weeks, so I'm wondering how long you'd leave the media in a reactor?

On the other hand, I've been utilizing Rowaphos in a Deltec reactor for almost a year with great results, so I understand the concept well. I'm just curious if carbon works any more efficiently in a fluidized state, or if it's simply that good quality carbon, no matter how it is utilized, will always be efficient? Is anyone aware of any studies on this? Just curious.

Thanks for your feedback!

Scott

it becomes less likely to nitrify cause of the low flow.
in high flow the nitrifying bacteria will colonize.
I've used carbon in canister high flow and fluidized.
The fluidized in theory is an effecient manner to use ALL the surface area.
I honestly notice little to no difference whether I ran it in a canister or fluidized in a reactor.
As to how often to swap out the carbon, it's all up to you.
There is no definative answer to that.

Back