Flukes on Grouper

hrdneglcry

Premium Member
Somehow my Grouper caught Flukes. Maybe corals from private sellers. Secondhand live rock. Anyway at first I thought he was scratching microbubbles off from the skimmer. But then he started going near the top. And having labored breathing. I did a few freshwater dips with water from a cichlid tank to match ph. That showed flukes in the bucket. I have tried treating the entire tank with prazi pro. Not much success. I even shut off the skimmer. Next I tried Hydroplex dip. That seemed to help. Then I tried Rally pro in the tank but lost some inverts. So stopped. He hasn't eaten since the last Hydroplex saltwater dip with all three fish. For about three days. Today I took him ount and dipped him with Hydroplex 10 minute saltwatr dip. Then I put him into quarantine with Cupramine. Online Cupramine is said not to help flukes but the bottle says it does. I am hoping to help him. I can't freshwater dip him because I don't have a way to raise the ph. I was getting water from fish store for the dips. Any help would be welcome. Also when in the dip bucket several days ago with the Triggers I think they bit him. Part of his fin is missing a chunk and he had a red bloch on his side. Normally they do not bite him. But thought I'd mention it.

Last edited:
hrdneglcry Did you dose Prazipro a second time, 5-7 days after the initial treatment, to kill any hatchlings?

The reason for the second dose is to eradicate the “next generation” of worms before they can lay eggs of their own. Because while Prazi does kill worms, it doesn’t eliminate any eggs they might leave behind.

I moved him to a 10 gallon. I tried Prazi Pro. I kept at it for a few weeks. I disconnected my skimmer. I did freshwater dips. I tried Rally Pro. Because he got bit by a Trigger I used Pimafix and Melafix. Something of those three killed 20 crabs. He won't eat. I was treating with Rally Pro in quarantine and now have switched to Cupramine. I used Hydroplex dips. That seemed to help. The fish in the main tank have not had problems with the flukes or the Prazi cured them. But the grouper will scratch again when I put him back in. So I am trying to get him well in quarantine. He swims. His breathing doesn't look that labored. But he won't take food. I may have to put him back just to get him to eat. Anyway, I am kind of not sure whats left to do. I am using Cupramine becauae someone ona forum said it worked for him for flukes. In concert with a Hydroplex dip. If I can get him to eat it would be much better. I could leave him in the 10 for a month at which point I could him back in the main tank and the flukes should be gone.

I moved him to a 10 gallon. I tried Prazi Pro. I kept at it for a few weeks. I disconnected my skimmer. I did freshwater dips. I tried Rally Pro. Because he got bit by a Trigger I used Pimafix and Melafix. Something of those three killed 20 crabs. He won't eat. I was treating with Rally Pro in quarantine and now have switched to Cupramine. I used Hydroplex dips. That seemed to help. The fish in the main tank have not had problems with the flukes or the Prazi cured them. But the grouper will scratch again when I put him back in. So I am trying to get him well in quarantine. He swims. His breathing doesn't look that labored. But he won't take food. I may have to put him back just to get him to eat. Anyway, I am kind of not sure whats left to do. I am using Cupramine becauae someone ona forum said it worked for him for flukes. In concert with a Hydroplex dip. If I can get him to eat it would be much better. I could leave him in the 10 for a month at which point I could him back in the main tank and the flukes should be gone.

Your options for treating flukes (other than praziquantel) include formalin, fenbendazole or hyposalinity.

for fluke you dont have to go complete hypo down to 1.009, you can run 1.012-13 and kill flukes. less harsh on fish

Back