Foam/Rock Wall for my 265 gallon Tank!

Hi Speckled. Just came across your build and I am truly amazed. Wow! Quick question. I saw that you collect natural seawater for water changes. How do you treat or cure it? Also how do you transport it? How much do you go through? I go offshore regularly and would like to start doing this. Great build!

Welp.... thank goodness people keep this old thread alive or I wouldn't have seen it! Been racking my brain trying to figure out whether I wanted to paint the back blue... black.... or blue fading into black (all my cichlid tanks were 2 tone and they looked awesome!). Then I stumbled across this thread... through the entire build I hummed... and haa'd... didn't REALLY like where it was going. To me seemed very 1 dimentional.... until..... UNTIL.... I saw the picture posted after she had taken the large rock out.... proper rock scaping REALLY pulled the tank together and gave the entire setup some serious depth perception! Needless to say I'mma gonna go the foam route I think. LITTLE worried about a few things.

-Where to put live rock? I'll need a HUGE refuge.
-What if I don't like it? Big job emptying the tank to tear it out and peel silicone off the glass. (Really it seems that ANY aquascaping requires the water in the tank to really get the big picture).

Menace

Well thanks Becuase this thread has been useful for info gathering.

I plan in making a rock wall with partial rock bottom in my IM nuvo 16
Because I figure it will give it more depth and also surfaces for SPS corals.

What type of epoxy or sealer is the preferred one and this is the dead coral and rock that was given to me so i figure I should be able to make it pretty nice with minimal foam.

vu5ytamy.jpg

besyrere.jpg

Hi Speckled. Just came across your build and I am truly amazed. Wow! Quick question. I saw that you collect natural seawater for water changes. How do you treat or cure it? Also how do you transport it? How much do you go through? I go offshore regularly and would like to start doing this. Great build!

Sorry for the late reply.

We don't cure or treat the water at all. We have a 250 gallon container we carry it in. The important part is that you have to collect it from an inlet app 1 hour before high tide. Offshore , I guess you can collect it anytime. The reaction from the corals is totally visible and quite amazing.....

Yes it is still running........

The rock wall is as beautiful as ever.....minus the Aiptasias.....:(

We went on a 3 week trip earlier this year and shortly after our return, we had a strange occurance that basically killed most of the corals. Fish where not affected. I think it was a large ALK swing. We did some massive water changes and things are back to normal and some of the coral are actually coming back.

Also, the old Solaris has finally died. But before I put new corals in, I have to get new lighting in there and get rid of the Aiptasia.

So stay tuned, a picture will be coming shortly :)

I used gorilla glue instead of epoxy. The company I called (loctite) told me it was not reef safe. I liked the way gorilla glue turned out.

That is an incredible project. How long did it take to do?

You mean the rock wall? Don't remember...maybe 6 weekends?

We added a Copperband Butterfly this week to take care of the Aiptasia, as soon as he is done, we will get some coral in there and take some pictures :)

Wow, it's nice to see that folks are still looking at this old thread and that there is still interest in creating these pieces of art rather than piling a bunch of rock in the tank.

My tank is still up and running. Had a few setbacks over the years but never a problem with the foam/rock wall. It looks completely natural and nobody would ever guess what it was made out of.

As a matter of fact, if it wasn't for the rock creation, I might have considered taking down the tank already. But it just looks so good it always gives me inspiration to keep going.

The tank was overrun by Aiptasia. About 2 month ago, we added an Aiptasia eating Filefish which singlehandedly ate every last one....Unbelievable!!! After the Aiptasia were gone he turned to Rock Anemones and had to go....

We also had an unexplainable disease that killed quite a few fish. The survivors were the Yellow Tang, which must be going on 13 years now, the Powder Blue, probably about 11 or so and a Rabbit Fish that is also over 10 years old. The fourth survivor was a mean old Eightline Wrasse. It was because of that fish we hadn't been able to add any other fish, he would eat everything we put in the tank. Well, he disappeared without a trace about a month ago.

Tons of nasty algae was another challenge, we are working on that now with a bunch of critters like Mexican Turbos, Astreas and a variety of crabs. Slowly, but surely, they are making progress.

The next projects are to replace the closed loop pump and add some more lighting.

I have to add that working in the industry does not make it easy. Who wants to tinker with their tank after dealing with fish and coral all day long? You know how they say "œThe lawn guys grass is always 3 feet high" and "œThe plumbers toilets are stopped up""¦.:lol2:

But for all of you that are contemplating on doing a project like this: By all means, DO IT!

More updates to follow
Cheers
Andrea

Are you getting water changes directly from the ocean...are you pre-treating the water for nuisance growth at all?

"We do get out own water from the inlet and do frequent water changes, I think that is definitely a contributing factor. "

No pictures...yet....

But everything is good. No Algae, no Aiptasia. Same "old" fish, tank is looking better and soon ready for some new coral.

Stay tuned, there will be pictures in the near future :)

Back