For Sale, Family's needs over Reefing needs.

I hear you and I went through the same struggle. I got into the hobby twice with 2 years break in between since 2000. My current system has been up since 2009 and it is pretty much now on autopilot with biweekly intervention from me for maintenance routine of algea cleaning of the glasses for about 20mins. In 2012 I left it running on its own with bimonthly check up from local friends as I was on a xpat project in Japan and it survived without any livestock lost. So how do I do it and what are my personal lessons learned to enjoy this hobby more?
1. Patience. I dived head into the hobby without any except the perfect picture of a healthy looking tank and it actually costs me more starting wrong decision of converting a FW system to a SW with hangon overflow....you got the picture.
2. Know what you want FINALLY. If what you want is an ELOS new or used then wait until you can afford or find one. I came back to the hobby in 2008 with an acrylic reef ready acrylic tank and I had that tank all prepped with closed loop, plumbed for easy of maintenance...etc but in my head, the picture of an ELOS 120xl still exists
3. This is an EXPENSIVE hobby if you want to maximize your enjoyments and enjoyments are different for people. Some prefer setting up, building up, taking care of it. I don't. I enjoy looking at my system growing and creating a lively picture in my dining room whenever I relax. In order to do this, you need the best of gears for their reliability as well as functionality. Things like controller (ELOS Octopus), Doser (GHL), ATO (Genesis), ATW (Genesis), Light (ELOS), Chiller (1/3hp), Pump (RedDragon) are not cheap but they will last longer. The cost of restarting your system due to failure are much more expensive.
4. Take your time or it'll take away much more time from you. I started out with FOWLR then cheap corals to test out the stability of the system then the expensive stuff. I hate testing water so I go really slow even for adjustment of dosing, skimming and water changing. One change per 2 weeks is what I can tolerate so I can dial things in a more controlled environment.
5. Less is more. At the end of the day, it's a hobby and it should be that way. My family always comes first. We both working with a 7yrs old and a 4 month baby so my tank can't take more than 1hr/week and if I have to pay $15/week over the course of my pursuit of this hobby for the best of gears to minimize my effort and maximize my enjoyment then that's much less to me. The longer my system stay stable the more this $15/week will reduce too. Since 2009, this has become $12/week for me including everything from electricity/food/equipments.

Sorry for the long 2 cents. This is purely a personal realization and I hope it helps.

It always helps. I think I lot of young new reefers need to see these threads. They need to understand what can and does happen.

So here is a updated list of stuff. ,! I only have what's listed in this post!

$50.00 EuroReef CS6-1 body no pump

$80.00 for the Hamilton setup

$140.00 for the Sunlight Supply set up plus shipping

$45.00 shipped on the WP40 pump

$90.00 Next Reef Reactor and pump

$55.00 each or $105.00 for both RW-8's newer model pumps. One unused and 1 used 1 month.

$850.00. Tank, Stand and Canopy

Back