Fort Lauderdale

ErosJN

I'm heading out to fort Lauderdale Wednesday night for a few days and would like to do some legal collecting of inverts or anything really. I don't have my snorkel gear anymore so I'm looking for a place thats rather shallow, 5-6 ft or so that i can reach with a paddle board and isn't too far from shore. Any suggested areas I should try out? Parks, inlets?

Thanks,
Eros

Lucky for you, the nearshore hard bottom (inshore of the first reef track) is close to shore and shallow. It pretty much runs the from Miami to West Palm. There will be better areas than others (locals can chime in), but what I can recommend to you is find the biggest brightest dive flag you can to rig to your board. I dove a number of years off Lauderdale and there are many people on the water that blatantly ignore or are ignorant of diver/snorkeler safety. Stay safe!

Cool, cool. I had snorkel gear but I believe that I'm missing some items after the move to my current house. I guess I'll have to go through the garage to see if I can find the equipment... if not I may just rent some gear. I'll be close to Lauderdale-by-the-sea but I believe thats a bit further out in the ocean to get to any reefy areas... out here we have places like fred howard and fort desoto where you can do some knee deep collecting of white leg and striped hermits, ceriths, nassarius snails etc... I'm wondering if there are any areas like that out there?

Back