FOWLR high phospates

nottarts23

Hi Everyone,

I am currently running 125 gallon with 25 gallon sump FOWLR setup. I currently have porcupine puffer, snowflake eel, vlamingii tang, paddle wrasse, bicolor parrot, and harlequin tusk in the tank.

The system has been up and running for 2 years. We have dual overflow that runs into 2 filter socks, then into protein skimmer, gfo/carbon reactor, and npx biopellets reactor.

In the last few months started to notice some green hair algae starting to accumulate on overflows. Took water into LFS and they said our phosphates were really high. I tried to do large water changes over a few week period and also phosguard. These didn't have much impact on my phosphates.

I went to another fish store and was recommended Phosphate RX. I used one bottle over a few week period and got the phospates down to zero. I ran out of the bottle to see what would happen and the phospates are starting to climb again. I read about SeaKlear phosphate remover being and alternative to phosphate rx. I ordered some thru amazon but was sent the commercial version 3x the strength of the normal.

Has anyone used SeaKlear commercial and what do you use for your dose measurements?

Also does it matter if I have high phosphates in FOWLR tank? I know I will probably get the hair algae, but are there other concerns I should worry about?

Thanks,

Long ago I had a FOWLR tank before with phosphate that i let get high ( slacked on water changes since FOWLR tanks get away with less than pristine water and it is easy to let that happen) Then the hair algae bloom started. I did not notice any ill effects in the tank other than the hair algae and constant cleaning of the glass. But beware, once the HA takes over it can get out of hand quick.

Problem with not getting rid if the high phosphate is it won't go away. If you turn off your lights and let the HA die the phosphate are released back into the water and at least my live rock absorbed them. So its an ongoing battle once it gets out of hand.
I would recommend using a Hanna checker for your testing. My API test kit was way off. API was reading some where around .5 when in actuality it was 1.41 ppm. These readings were in in my new tank, my old tank i never checked the phosphate but the HA let me know it was high.

Last edited:
Long ago I had a FOWLR tank before with phosphate that i let get high ( slacked on water changes since FOWLR tanks get away with less than pristine water and it is easy to let that happen) Then the hair algae bloom started. I did not notice any ill effects in the tank other than the hair algae and constant cleaning of the glass. But beware, once the HA takes over it can get out of hand quick.

Problem with not getting rid if the high phosphate is it won't go away. If you turn off your lights and let the HA die the phosphate are released back into the water and at least my live rock absorbed them. So its an ongoing battle once it gets out of hand.
I would recommend using a Hanna checker for your testing. My API test kit was way off. API was reading some where around .5 when in actuality it was 1.41 ppm. These readings were in in my new tank, my old tank i never checked the phosphate but the HA let me know it was high.

+1 on that.

How often do you change your filter socks? If they aren't changed at least once a week they will create problems with phosphates & nitrates.

How often do you do water changes? Do you use RO water? If not, what are the PO4 levels in your new saltwater?

Do you clean the substrate? If not, you should vacuum a portion with every water change.

Most if not all hobby commercial liquid PO4 removers use lanthanum chloride as does Seaklear,used mostly for pools and spas. I don't know exactly what's in the Blue life product.

When using lanthanum chloride it needs to be dosed slowly and prefiltered to remove the particulate lanthanum phosphate and lanthanum carbonate that forms. Otherwise it can be harmful to fish and filter feeders. I am very wary of products that recommend direct dosing to the aquarium This thread has more:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1474839&highlight=lanthanum+chloride

does it matter if I have high phosphates in FOWLR tank? I know I will probably get the hair algae, but are there other concerns I should worry about?

Cyanobacteria may be a problem. The PO4 won't hurt the fish.

I'd probably give evertyhing(substrate, filterrs etc) a good cleaning and run some extra GFO. You do have a heavy bioload so some extra attention to cleaning and nutreint removal seem prudent.

If the tank is doing well with regards to algal and microbial blooms, you can ignore the phosphate level.

Tom has given the basic outlines for lanthanum chloride dosing: dose slowly and filter the precipitate. I don't know how to predict how much to dose at one time, but a bit extra should be safe enough, and if you go slowly, you probably will notice the amount of precipitate declining.

Back