Frag Placement

masgatigata

When placing frags that are on a plug in a tank, does the plug need to be placed near rock, or will the polyps just multiply and move while on the sand bed? Right now I have a number of plugs on the sanded, and the polyps have covered the plug completely. Will they keep growing outward, or do they need a rock to attach to? Thanks

I believe it will just continue growing out. They will attach to whatever rubble in the sand. I have a few that just keep on going.

When placing frags that are on a plug in a tank, does the plug need to be placed near rock, or will the polyps just multiply and move while on the sand bed? Right now I have a number of plugs on the sanded, and the polyps have covered the plug completely. Will they keep growing outward, or do they need a rock to attach to? Thanks

Either way is fine.

Either on the rock or on the sand. I don't think it makes a difference in growth whether it's on the rock or sand. Growth will depend on how happy the coral is with light and flow and water quality.

They might blow away attached to the sand if they break their connection (depending on what kind of coral it is), but they'll grow either way. I like to put them on the rock I want them to cover whenever possible or surround them with rubble so I have more frags to put other places.

Yea i would say closer to rock, the few i had that were started to grow on sand i started to see polyps everywhere in my display from them not being on a stable surface

Back