Free Corals...

We are not advocating destroying corals as a first option, obviously it's the last.

If no one wants them free through the CDP who would trade? The best place for these misfit corals is the CDP tank at the frag swap. If someone takes them you get a point. If not they go in the raffle and go home with someone who is there supporting the club with no requirements attached. So load up your cooler in a few months and bring them to the swap. We would love to see the CDP tank full for new members to choose from. The CDP is full of great corals and if you can't find something you want you didn't look or have the most impressive system I have ever heard of.

+1 Thanks Matt, I outlined all this in the rules sticky concerning tank tear downs but I keep forgetting that few have actually read it. :lol: :(

Vic, in IME this really is a nonissue. Those who honestly try to give back typically don't have a problem doing so. Some times it takes a little while to give back 3 but everyone loves free and we have new members signing up at every SLASH event. Allowing the trading of CDP corals to nonmembers under certain circumstances would open up a whole bag of slippery-slope-I-don't-even-want-to-guess what ;)

+1 Thanks Matt, I outlined all this in the rules sticky concerning tank tear downs but I keep forgetting that few have actually read it. :lol: :(

Vic, in IME this really is a nonissue. Those who honestly try to give back typically don't have a problem doing so. Some times it takes a little while to give back 3 but everyone loves free and we have new members signing up at every SLASH event. Allowing the trading of CDP corals to nonmembers under certain circumstances would open up a whole bag of slippery-slope-I-don't-even-want-to-guess what ;)

Hope I didn't rub anyone wrong I just asked a question and I thought your answer was funny. Oh well can't amuse everyone with my Smacktalk :)

I've read the rules also but wasn't participating in cdp yet so I may not have payed enough attention. :reading:

We are not advocating destroying corals as a first option, obviously it's the last.

If no one wants them free through the CDP who would trade?

People who have not gotten the chance to sign up yet. Pn is kind of a hectic time to try to sign up. I know one person in particular that donated corals to the cdp even though they can't have any free ones yet because they haven't gotten the chance to sign up. ;)

The best place for these misfit corals is the CDP tank at the frag swap. If someone takes them you get a point. If not they go in the raffle and go home with someone who is there supporting the club with no requirements attached. So load up your cooler in a few months and bring them to the swap.

Not everyone has a place to save frags for 6mos especially fast growers.

We would love to see the CDP tank full for new members to choose from. The CDP is full of great corals and if you can't find something you want you didn't look or have the most impressive system I have ever heard of.

I wasn't dissing the cdp but there are corals that aren't there. A couple of the corals I mentioned that came from the non member were originals... I was just saying that would be better than lawn ornaments.

I guess my only thought was that I have attempted to donate back to the CDP (thanks nick btw for fixing my cdp posting blunder) in order to get more points thereby getting more corals, but it seems no one wants what I have, primarily sps, most likely as they already have it themselves.

The CDP tank at the frag swap is a great suggestion, thank you

Hope I didn't rub anyone wrong I just asked a question and I thought your answer was funny. Oh well can't amuse everyone with my Smacktalk :)

I've read the rules also but wasn't participating in cdp yet so I may not have payed enough attention. :reading:

No worries Vic. There's no stupid questions only stupid garden gnomes :lol: J/K We always appreciate the input and the interest for members to improve the club :thumbsup:

BTW, in order for a CDP transaction to be valid, both parties (recipient and donor) must be SLASH members. I usually have a good handle on catching this but perhaps something slipped by. It would save me a lot of time of tearing through my database if you could PM me the name of this non-member and I'll work with them to rectify the issue.

I guess my only thought was that I have attempted to donate back to the CDP (thanks nick btw for fixing my cdp posting blunder) in order to get more points thereby getting more corals, but it seems no one wants what I have, primarily sps, most likely as they already have it themselves.

The CDP tank at the frag swap is a great suggestion, thank you

Your right some of the more common stuff is not as highly demanded by the members who frequent the CDP board regularly and participate in the program the most. This only makes sense. There are folks interested in these corals but they're typically newer to the hobby and the club and the Swap CDP tank caters to a lot of these folks.

The CDP was designed from the start to self regulate itself and we're seeing that now. Those who donate unique or more valuable corals typically gain more points and build relationships with other members and thus have access to more unique or valuable corals. The purpose of the CDP is not to grab up as many corals for the least investment possible. It was designed to supplement an activity which has always existed in the club, the sharing of corals fairly among friends.

I calculated bunch of statistics a little while back. Only about half of the participants have ever donated a coral and the top 10% of donors account for almost 70% of all donations. This means there are a whole lot of members out there who have taken a few corals and never looked back or are donating the bare minimum to get more. Conversely, only a handful of very generous members are satisfying the masses need for free coral. Sounds unfair but many of our donors do find real satisfaction in sharing, even if they don't expect anything in return. :) Also, things are now starting to level off as after four years the CDP is finding its stride. One of the key rules to the CDP which continues to keep all this in check is the ability for the donor to decide who they want to donate to. Just because a member has points does not mean there entitled to CDP corals. The donor can decide who they want to give to by any manner they wish. A donor may donate his/her best stuff to personal friends or set minimum point limits to insure only proven donors are receiving their corals. The program is driven by the donor. Which is why we call it the Coral Donor Program and not the Coral Donation Program. ;)

For those who truly utilize the CDP as it was intended the benefits are endless. I've personally donated over 100 corals to the CDP but I also haven't had to buy a coral in several years and I've receive some pretty incredible stuff. However, the biggest benefit I've received from the CDP and SLASH isn't the free corals but the friends I've made along the way. There are few things in life that are more rewarding than sharing with friends, whether it be coral or a :beer:

end rant... sorry if this came of a little preachy ebacon it wasn't meant at you personally. I've just had a few of these things on my mind for a while now and it nice to let it out. ;)

Everything went through the proper channels the coral was given to a member to donate to the cdp. My point was that there is corals the cdp doesn't have and thereare people who aren't participating which would be better than destroying corals.

Everything went through the proper channels the coral was given to a member to donate to the cdp.

If this is the case, than sorry your incorrect, everything did not go through the proper channels. A non-member donating through a member is essentially the same as a non-member participating in the program. The original donor (OD) is responsible for providing information on the care of that coral and serves a the go-to for anyone needing more information. If the member who's recorded as the OD doesn't even own the coral that resource is lost and leads to confusion by others interested in it. Please let me know who this person is and I will work to help them become a member and rectify the discrepancies. Its an honest mistake, I'm not trying to screw anyone over here.

I may need clarify a few things in the rules a guidance sticky after all this

My point was that there is corals the cdp doesn't have and thereare people who aren't participating which would be better than destroying corals.

I would disagree. Joining SLASH and participating in the CDP is not overly complicated. We have and do make arrangements for those who can't attend our events. One of the biggest issues with the old informal donor program was abuse by non-members. One of the reasons the CDP has become so successful is that members feel comfortable that their frags are going to other SLASH members. Allowing for the trading of CDP corals to non-members would only discourage new SLASH memberships and utilization of the CDP.

As the CDP is a members only program I don't typically get into this much detail or debate outside the CDP and Members Only Forums on slashclub.org but its good every once in a while to bring a little more attention to this program. If you would like to discuss this further please post in the CDP Q&A Sticky so that the discussion can be referenced by other members more easily in the future. Thanks

http://www.slashclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1028

Last edited:
I've been working on growing corals not in the Cdp just to help grow the cdp options

On a side note with buying points. Why not just raffle off a handful of points at the member only raffle at the frag swaps?? That way it stays in the club and if someone used up 5 points on corals they wanted but no one else does it doesn't leave them dead in the water waiting for someone to join that may want their coral.

if the coral was given to me it is mine and I should be able to donate it. If this is not acceptable remove the corals from my list take them out of the cdp and we will move on. I can't see how this helps the club or the cdp but do what you feel yo have to. To me the origin of the coral Is less important than getting more corals out to the club.

As far as trading to outsiders you have missed the point that you said they could be given away or used as lawn ornaments is this better than new corals for the club?
If this is the case, than sorry your incorrect, everything did not go through the proper channels. A non-member donating through a member is essentially the same as a non-member participating in the program. The original donor (OD) is responsible for providing information on the care of that coral and serves a the go-to for anyone needing more information. If the member who's recorded as the OD doesn't even own the coral that resource is lost and leads to confusion by others interested in it. Please let me know who this person is and I will work to help them become a member and rectify the discrepancies. Its an honest mistake, I'm not trying to screw anyone over here.

I may need clarify a few things in the rules a guidance sticky after all this

I would disagree. Joining SLASH and participating in the CDP is not overly complicated. We have and do make arrangements for those who can't attend our events. One of the biggest issues with the old informal donor program was abuse by non-members. One of the reasons the CDP has become so successful is that members feel comfortable that their frags are going to other SLASH members. Allowing for the trading of CDP corals to non-members would only discourage new SLASH memberships and utilization of the CDP.

As the CDP is a members only program I don't typically get into this much detail or debate outside the CDP and Members Only Forums on slashclub.org but its good every once in a while to bring a little more attention to this program. If you would like to discuss this further please post in the CDP Q&A Sticky so that the discussion can be referenced by other members more easily in the future. Thanks

http://www.slashclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1028

Vic,

I'm going to PM you my number. Feel free to call and we can work something out or we can talk tomorrow night.

We can discuss this Friday. It will be much easier to get us all on the same page. I'll start a thread on the member sight for suggestions to improving the CDP where we can brainstorm ideas of how we might tweak the program to be better for its members.

Hi Dave,

Guess Im gonna miss the 21st Feb too :headwallblue: I just sent you a PM.

Wonder how long do I have to wait to be able to attend one slash PN and become a member:confused: ( and get my hands on atleast a coral!!!!) lol

Theres a spring frag swap coming up in march over in Illinois,that would be your best best to join SLASH as members usually join in person.

Hi Nick,

Is there a way to join SLASH without being able to attend a PN? I am going to miss both the Feb 21 and the March 10. Working both nights:hmm5:

Its gonna be a possibe blizzard Feb 21 Thu, are we still planning on the PN on that night or we postponing?

Thanks
Awais

You pick...

SPS

Acropora:

Millipora and Prostrata
Pink Millipora
Red Acropora Prostrata
ORA Blue Acropora Millipora
Palmer's Blue Acropora Millipora
Nook's Blue Acropora prostrata
Green Acropora millipora

Tortuosa
Yellow Acropora Tortuosa
Light Blue Acropora Tortuosa
Oregon Tort
ORA Cali Tort

Other
tyree solitaryensis
Green and Teal Thin Branching Acropora
Pink Dream Acropora
Microthalma
Purple and Light Green Acropora nana
Mint Green Polyp Acropora microphalma
Pink Jade Acropora
Bali Green Slimer
Nook's Baby Blue Acro
ORA Joe The Coral
Rackman's Purple Tip Acropora
Purple Tip Lokani
Purple Slimer
Logik's pink and green aussie acro
Tyree Pink Lemonade
Smoothdog's Light Blue and Teal Staghorn
mkart Neon green acropora
ORA indigo purple tip stag
Ora Blue Voodoo acropora
Vivid Aquariums Tricolor Acropora
Nanook of the North Tri-Color
Tri-color Valida

Montipora:

Branching
Green Elkhorn Montipora stellata
Purple Montipora digitata
ORA Peach Montipora digitata
Orange Montipora setosa
Pink Montipora Digitata
Orange Montipora digitata

Plating
Purple Montipora capricornus
Purple Rim Green Monti Cap
Green with Blue Polyp Plating Montipora
Tyree Flower Montipora cap
ORA Green Montipora Spongodes
Flower Petal Montipora Capricornis
Idaho Grape Cap
Orange Montipora Capricornis
ItzJustinN's Green Montipora capricornis

Encrusting
Supernatural monti
Sunset Montipora
Superman Montipora
Pokerstar" Encrusting Montipora
Morningstar Encrusting Montipora

Other:

Cat's Paw (Pocillipora)
Pink Pocillipora
Seriatopora Hystrix (Pointy Pink BirdsNest)
Seritopora sp. (Intense Pink Nubby Birdnest)
Light Blue/Tan-ish Thick Branching Porites
Pink Stylophora
ORA Green Stylophora
Mike Paletta's Purple Porites
Lime Green Branching Porites

LPS

Acans:

Bright Red w/Purple Acanthastrea echinata
Orange Rainbow Acan
Pinkish Rainbow Acan
Metallic Red and Teal Acanthastrea lordhowensis
Acan Bright-Bright Pink (AAA)
Acan Lord Super Rainbow (AAA)
Acan Lord Pink/Orange/Green Rainbow (AAA)
Logik Acan #4
Logik Acan #6
Acan Green and Red with Stripes

Chalices:

WWC Red Golden Eye Chalice
Tyree Bubble Gum Monster Chalice
DFS Stunner Chalice

Torches, Hammers, Frogspawns:

Reverse Hammer Coral
Branching Green Hammer Coral
Purple Tip Hammer (Euphyllia paranchora)
Euphyllia glabrescens (Green w/ Gold Tip Torch)
Green with Purple Tip Branching Frogspawn
Branching Bicolor "œAgu" Hammer/Frogspawn Coral

Other:

Green Trumpet Coral
Red Blastomussa merleti/wellsi
Euphyllia Torch Coral
Green Pavona Cactus Coral
Neon Green Trumpet Coral
Galaxea
Green Candy Cane (Caulastrea furcata)
Green Hydnophora
blastomussa merletti (purple & green)
Sun Polyp Coral
Cyphastrea Meteor Shower
Logik's pink and green favia
Green with Purple Ridge Maze Brain Favia
Pavona (AKA Potato Chip coral)
Pectinia
Aussie Duncans
Bob's Blastos
Neon Green Maze Brain Coral
Australian Orange Dendros
Green Goblin Cyphastrea

Softies

Mushrooms:

Ricordea florida:
Blue Ricordea florida
Blue/Teal Ricordea florida
Peach/Orange Ricordea florida w/ green flecks and purple ri
Bright orange Ricordea florida with blue/purple rim
Neon Green Ricordea florida with blue/purple rim
Bright orange Ricordea florida with green rim
Bluegreen Ricordea florida
Pinkish Greenish Ricordea florida

Ricordea yuma:
Pink and Green Yuma
Neon Green Ricordea yuma
Blue/green yuma with orange spots and mouth
Orange Ricordea yuma w/Green Mouth
Ricordea yuma Purple Base w/ Orange Tentacles

Rhodactis:
Blue/Purple Rhodactis Mushroom
Green Rhodactis

Other:
Green Frilly Mushroom
Green w/ White Stripe Actinodiscus Mushroom
Orange Mushrooms
Red w/ blue spot Actinodiscus Mushrooms
Red Mushroom
Purple Mushroom with Teal Stripes
Brown Frilly Mushroom
Green-Red Mushrooms
Purple with Green Pimpled Discosoma Shroom
Purple with Blue Tips Hairy Mushroom
Bright Red Hairy Mushrooms

Polyps:

Zoanthids
Green skirts, Deep purple center, Yellow/Green Zoanthids
Purple with green center zoanthids
Mean Green Zoanthids
Pink Zoanthids
Red and purple Zoanthids
Orange BamBam's
Purple Passion Zoas
Devils Armor Zoanthid
Eagle Eye Zoanthid
Gorilla Nipple Zoanthids
Tubb's Blue zoanthids
Keds Reds zoanthids
Joker Zoanthids
Dave's Green Zoas
Teal blue zoas
Green Bay Packers zoas
Eye of Rah Zoanthids
Fire and Ice Zoas
Wham'n Watermelon Zoas
Armor of God Zoas
Strawberry Wine Zoas
Organism zoas
Radioactive Dragoneyes Zoas
Blue Orgasm Zoanthids
Dragon Fire Zoas
Yellow Center Zoas

Palythoas
Nuclear Green Palythoa
Red People Eater Palys
Pink Palys
Doublemint Palys
Cammiethoa Palythoa
Daisy Dukes Palys
Green Protopalythoa
Purple Death Palys
Starr's Purple Palys
Green Palythoa
Maroon Paly with Pink Center
Cinnamon Palys
Purple People Eater Palys
Green Explosion Palythoa

Other:
Yellow Polyps
Blue Sarcothelia edmondsoni
Green Pachyclavularia (green star polyps)

Leathers

Kenya tree coral (Nephtheidae Alcyonacea)
Spaghetti Leather
Sinularia Finger Leather
Toadstool Leather: Sarcophyton tenuispiculatum
LE Neon Green Toadstool Leather
Green Polyp Finger Leather
Green Finger Nepthea soft coral
Smoothdog's Toadstool leather (sarcophyton)
Weird Orange Leather
Logik's Mellow Yellow Fiji Leather
Devil's Hand Leather
Green Toadstool Leather
Blue/Green Stalk Kenya Tree
Cabbage Leather (Sinularia dura)
Toadstool Leather: Sarcophyton trocheliophorum

Other:

Xenia
Pink Anthelia
Xenia elongata
Pom Pom Xenia
Blue Xenia

Gorgonians
Pink Gorgonian
Caribbean Purple Gorgonian
Pink Encrusting Gorgonian

MISC

Orange Tree Sponge
Rose Bubble Tip Anemone (Entacmaea Quadricolor)
Green Bubble Tip Anemone

Interested? Join SLASH and learn about the Coral Donor Program...

What is SLASH? Plus, the Benefits of Membership

:dance:

:bounce2: cant wait to get my first coral :dance:
Thats a good tease though

You pick...

SPS

Acropora:

Millipora and Prostrata
Pink Millipora
Red Acropora Prostrata
ORA Blue Acropora Millipora
Palmer's Blue Acropora Millipora
Nook's Blue Acropora prostrata
Green Acropora millipora

Tortuosa
Yellow Acropora Tortuosa
Light Blue Acropora Tortuosa
Oregon Tort
ORA Cali Tort

Other
tyree solitaryensis
Green and Teal Thin Branching Acropora
Pink Dream Acropora
Microthalma
Purple and Light Green Acropora nana
Mint Green Polyp Acropora microphalma
Pink Jade Acropora
Bali Green Slimer
Nook's Baby Blue Acro
ORA Joe The Coral
Rackman's Purple Tip Acropora
Purple Tip Lokani
Purple Slimer
Logik's pink and green aussie acro
Tyree Pink Lemonade
Smoothdog's Light Blue and Teal Staghorn
mkart Neon green acropora
ORA indigo purple tip stag
Ora Blue Voodoo acropora
Vivid Aquariums Tricolor Acropora
Nanook of the North Tri-Color
Tri-color Valida

Montipora:

Branching
Green Elkhorn Montipora stellata
Purple Montipora digitata
ORA Peach Montipora digitata
Orange Montipora setosa
Pink Montipora Digitata
Orange Montipora digitata

Plating
Purple Montipora capricornus
Purple Rim Green Monti Cap
Green with Blue Polyp Plating Montipora
Tyree Flower Montipora cap
ORA Green Montipora Spongodes
Flower Petal Montipora Capricornis
Idaho Grape Cap
Orange Montipora Capricornis
ItzJustinN's Green Montipora capricornis

Encrusting
Supernatural monti
Sunset Montipora
Superman Montipora
Pokerstar" Encrusting Montipora
Morningstar Encrusting Montipora

Other:

Cat's Paw (Pocillipora)
Pink Pocillipora
Seriatopora Hystrix (Pointy Pink BirdsNest)
Seritopora sp. (Intense Pink Nubby Birdnest)
Light Blue/Tan-ish Thick Branching Porites
Pink Stylophora
ORA Green Stylophora
Mike Paletta's Purple Porites
Lime Green Branching Porites

LPS

Acans:

Bright Red w/Purple Acanthastrea echinata
Orange Rainbow Acan
Pinkish Rainbow Acan
Metallic Red and Teal Acanthastrea lordhowensis
Acan Bright-Bright Pink (AAA)
Acan Lord Super Rainbow (AAA)
Acan Lord Pink/Orange/Green Rainbow (AAA)
Logik Acan #4
Logik Acan #6
Acan Green and Red with Stripes

Chalices:

WWC Red Golden Eye Chalice
Tyree Bubble Gum Monster Chalice
DFS Stunner Chalice

Torches, Hammers, Frogspawns:

Reverse Hammer Coral
Branching Green Hammer Coral
Purple Tip Hammer (Euphyllia paranchora)
Euphyllia glabrescens (Green w/ Gold Tip Torch)
Green with Purple Tip Branching Frogspawn
Branching Bicolor "œAgu" Hammer/Frogspawn Coral

Other:

Green Trumpet Coral
Red Blastomussa merleti/wellsi
Euphyllia Torch Coral
Green Pavona Cactus Coral
Neon Green Trumpet Coral
Galaxea
Green Candy Cane (Caulastrea furcata)
Green Hydnophora
blastomussa merletti (purple & green)
Sun Polyp Coral
Cyphastrea Meteor Shower
Logik's pink and green favia
Green with Purple Ridge Maze Brain Favia
Pavona (AKA Potato Chip coral)
Pectinia
Aussie Duncans
Bob's Blastos
Neon Green Maze Brain Coral
Australian Orange Dendros
Green Goblin Cyphastrea

Softies

Mushrooms:

Ricordea florida:
Blue Ricordea florida
Blue/Teal Ricordea florida
Peach/Orange Ricordea florida w/ green flecks and purple ri
Bright orange Ricordea florida with blue/purple rim
Neon Green Ricordea florida with blue/purple rim
Bright orange Ricordea florida with green rim
Bluegreen Ricordea florida
Pinkish Greenish Ricordea florida

Ricordea yuma:
Pink and Green Yuma
Neon Green Ricordea yuma
Blue/green yuma with orange spots and mouth
Orange Ricordea yuma w/Green Mouth
Ricordea yuma Purple Base w/ Orange Tentacles

Rhodactis:
Blue/Purple Rhodactis Mushroom
Green Rhodactis

Other:
Green Frilly Mushroom
Green w/ White Stripe Actinodiscus Mushroom
Orange Mushrooms
Red w/ blue spot Actinodiscus Mushrooms
Red Mushroom
Purple Mushroom with Teal Stripes
Brown Frilly Mushroom
Green-Red Mushrooms
Purple with Green Pimpled Discosoma Shroom
Purple with Blue Tips Hairy Mushroom
Bright Red Hairy Mushrooms

Polyps:

Zoanthids
Green skirts, Deep purple center, Yellow/Green Zoanthids
Purple with green center zoanthids
Mean Green Zoanthids
Pink Zoanthids
Red and purple Zoanthids
Orange BamBam's
Purple Passion Zoas
Devils Armor Zoanthid
Eagle Eye Zoanthid
Gorilla Nipple Zoanthids
Tubb's Blue zoanthids
Keds Reds zoanthids
Joker Zoanthids
Dave's Green Zoas
Teal blue zoas
Green Bay Packers zoas
Eye of Rah Zoanthids
Fire and Ice Zoas
Wham'n Watermelon Zoas
Armor of God Zoas
Strawberry Wine Zoas
Organism zoas
Radioactive Dragoneyes Zoas
Blue Orgasm Zoanthids
Dragon Fire Zoas
Yellow Center Zoas

Palythoas
Nuclear Green Palythoa
Red People Eater Palys
Pink Palys
Doublemint Palys
Cammiethoa Palythoa
Daisy Dukes Palys
Green Protopalythoa
Purple Death Palys
Starr's Purple Palys
Green Palythoa
Maroon Paly with Pink Center
Cinnamon Palys
Purple People Eater Palys
Green Explosion Palythoa

Other:
Yellow Polyps
Blue Sarcothelia edmondsoni
Green Pachyclavularia (green star polyps)

Leathers

Kenya tree coral (Nephtheidae Alcyonacea)
Spaghetti Leather
Sinularia Finger Leather
Toadstool Leather: Sarcophyton tenuispiculatum
LE Neon Green Toadstool Leather
Green Polyp Finger Leather
Green Finger Nepthea soft coral
Smoothdog's Toadstool leather (sarcophyton)
Weird Orange Leather
Logik's Mellow Yellow Fiji Leather
Devil's Hand Leather
Green Toadstool Leather
Blue/Green Stalk Kenya Tree
Cabbage Leather (Sinularia dura)
Toadstool Leather: Sarcophyton trocheliophorum

Other:

Xenia
Pink Anthelia
Xenia elongata
Pom Pom Xenia
Blue Xenia

Gorgonians
Pink Gorgonian
Caribbean Purple Gorgonian
Pink Encrusting Gorgonian

MISC

Orange Tree Sponge
Rose Bubble Tip Anemone (Entacmaea Quadricolor)
Green Bubble Tip Anemone

Interested? Join SLASH and learn about the Coral Donor Program...

What is SLASH? Plus, the Benefits of Membership

:dance:

Back