Free to a good home - Mantis Shrimp

tdbrown75

One week ago, I purchased 4 new corals for my 75 gallon reef; two of which were attached to small pieces of live rock. Tonight, I was walking past my tank on my way to shut down my PC, and I hear four or five small popping noises coming from my tank. I have read that popping can be a sign of a mantis shrimp. My heart sank as I began to recall some of the stories I have read about the destruction these little buggers can do to a tanks inhabitants, and the difficulty one can expect in catching one.

I never have luck like this, but after grabbing my trusty MagLight I saw some antennae protruding out of one of the two new pieces of live rock, and immediately pulled the rock from the tank and placed in a small container. After applying some Arm and Hammer to the hole, voila!

Now, as cool as these things are (I have seen the Discovery Channel special) I am not able to set up a species tank for him at this time. I am going to attempt to keep him alive in a small container until I can find him a good home. I can always bring him down to the LFS, but would prefer to give or trade him to someone who would actually enjoy having him.

He is small, maybe 1 ââ"šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ 1.1/2, but packs a wallop as I understand it. I am not going through the trouble to ship him anywhere, but if you live the DFW area, you can feel free to come pick him up. I am always looking for frags and stuff if you have something you want to give for him. Otherwise he is free for the hauling.

If you are interested, give me a call at 214-674-4176, or send me an email at orcrist@earthlink.net

He is green, with red along the edges. I am no professional, but he looks to be a run of the mill green peacock smasher. I can take pics if you are serious about making the drive.

No, I dont have any interest in getting it. I just thought you would have a better chance of getting rid of it if you said what it looks like. Maybe you should post in teh Dallas/Ft Worth Club forum.

Yes, if it is a peacock I would deffinatley sell it to the lfs or someone local. You could probably get like 40 bucks for it.

peacocks are very rarely found as hitchhikers in live rock. depending on where the rock came from, its probably a smaller species of smasher like N. wennerae

I second Silent Assassin. Finding a peacock on Liverock would be a rare occasion, the most common found are neogonodactylus wennerae. That's what Tampa Bay Saltwater always, and i mean ALWAYS have plenty of.

Back