Freeze Thaw

ataller

So I accidentally left out some frozen mysis and krill.

They completely defrosted.

Do you think if I frozen them again they would be safe enough to still feed to my fishes? Seems like quite the waste if I had to throw all that food out.

Adam

depends on how long you left it out...if package is totally warm..and is room temp..id say no...but if its still really cold kinda slushy id say it should be ok....

It should be fine as long as it wasn't out long enough to start going bad. No different than food you would eat yourself.

Years ago I was a manager of a bar, and had to because "food safety certified"; one thing I remember is the rule about the "temperature danger zone". Basically, if any frozen or refrigerated where left in the danger zone (( above 40*F for frozen/refrigerated and below 140*F for heated foods )) for more then 4 hours it couldn't be served and needed to be thrown out.

I am sure that is a bit on the strict side for our fish/inverts but I still follow that rule, better to be safe then sorry. Plus, the price to replace the food is very low compared to losing any livestock.

Toddrtrex is correct. I am still certified (or certifiable) either way, the above notations are correct. The food will go bad quickly if left in the danger zone for any lengthy period of time. In general, follow the same rules for what you feed the tank as you would for your own consumption and you should be fine.

Back