Freshwater dip

cabin

Premium Member
As I begin stocking my new 180, I'm seriously considering using freshwater dip for new fish. I've seen it recommended many times as a way to potentially knock off a few parasites when the fish arrive (before putting in quarantine). But I'm a little confused about the acclimation if you are planning to use a freshwater dip. Is there any point to gradually acclimating the fish to your water if you intend to dip in freshwater when you take them out of the bag anyway?
Wynne

I dip all corals and fish before they go into my tank. After the bag, before the QT tank. Corals get iodine (Lugols) as well. I do not drip acclimate anymore because of it... Most fish do fine as long as you don't leave them in there too long. Angels and tangs seem to be the most sensitive.

:D
Laurie

I've had limited success fw dipping fish before going into qt. My understanding is (with ich) the parasite is embedded in the skin and the freshwater dip doesn't really reach the parasite. I would guess that if there were any crawling around on the fish (not embedded yet) the dip would work. I think low salinity is more effective in qt when the parasite releases new bugs into the water. I have dipped fish before that seem clear of parasites, only to have them get covered in a few days. I think you would be better to aclimate the fish to your qt tank and observe. Treat for bugs at the first sign.

I agree with Jason. I acclimate to QT and watch closely if ich presents itself I lower the sg to 1.015 over 2 days and leave it at that till 1 week after I've seen the last spot. Everyone including corals and inverts survive this. I tried fw dip when I first got into marine and almost killed my first yellow tang. Penny gave me good advice. No fw dips, no medication, just lower sg gradually in 1-2 pt increments twice a day and raise the temp to 85. And just wait out the storm. Works for me everytime. Sue

Back