Frogfish!!?

Kizzy911

Thinking of setting up a 20-40 gal tank and making it into a FOWLR then once its all set and ready, i can make it a zoa tank.

MY plan:
get a 20-40 gal tank, equipment is just gonna be a normal HOB filter or an air stone with a sponge filter. I have a small powerhead that i can use, and a heater.

my fish stock if i have a 20gal is just a frog fish.
Leaning more towards a 40 gallon, a frog fish, an eel? (need suggestions), and a dwarf lion fish, maybe a valentini puffer.

Let me hear thoughts and advices.
rights and wrongs.
thanks

Imo i would just stick to keeping the frogfish by its self. What type are u thinking of getting?

Frogfish!!?

Maybe A
canthigasther puffer + dwarf lion fish in a 40
Or
2 dwarf frogfish ( $$$$) in a 40 ; the affordable ones always the one that get 8"-12" so a 40 is too small even for one.

Or again a smallish eel by itself in a 40 but again it not very nice for the animal ... It's like someone living in a dorm room forever [emoji16]

If you get 100 gal+ you can probably get a larger eel with a little frogfish or
A combo of eel + lion fish + puffer.

You can find videos on YouTube of frogfish eating a lionfish therefore could spell disaster.

Plus think of how much it's going to cost to feed....a year's supply of feeder ghost shrimp, mollies, goldfish, silversides and whatever else you think of feeding them is probably equal to the price of a bigger tank.

Last edited:
Well i was thinking just a regular 40breeder, 1 dwarf lionfish or 2. OR 1 dwarf lionfish and 1 small frogfish. Was gonna make it into a semi frag/zoa tank. What do you guys think?

Kizzy you must have a ton of money to be able to setup all of the tanks you are talking about an plus all of the water changes you'll be doing will have to buy a pallet load of salt mix. WOW you're going to have a full time job just maintaining them. And I can't imagine how much you will have to spend in fish.

I see a few potential stocking issues. Puffers cannot be housed with lions, as the puffer will pick at the lions fins which usually results in the death of the lion. Also, Frogfish must also be housed alone as they will consume pretty much anything that fits in their very large mouths, including lionfish.

Back