Frogspawn coral help

Anemoneee

Hi everyone
My frogspawn had 3 head, one shrine in and die during coral dipping. Now few month later second head not opening up anymore and start hiding back to skeleton, almost completely gone. My third head is doing great. Can anyone tell me why that would happen? They come from the same frag
Thank You

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Forgot picture
38a56a88f249c1d5c7dcd9247265aca2.jpg

Seeing that picture my first thought is the Kenya Tree is brushing up against teh frogspawn occasionally. For best results lighting and water parameters should be as close as possible to the conditins it was under previously.

It's easy to think since they are clones of each other all the polyps in a colony will behave the same but the opposite is more correct. Each polyp is an individual animal and can behave or respond differently to environmental conditions. It may also be necessary to consider individual polyps seperate from colonies as polyp age has been documented in some species to be significantly less than colony age. This paper is pretty thick but a fascinating look into aging in corals:

Do Corals Age?

Agree. Having softies and stonies in the same tank is a balancing act even with feet between them. Close up, this results.

It looks as if most everything is within reach of that kenya tree. You might want to establish a separate holding place for it. In a tank, running carbon almost constantly is a way to absorb the chemical that softies spit into the water to discourage other corals. Mixing can be done. But if you have the option to trade that fellow for another stony, do! (another difference: stonies will require a calcium addition to your water, and you have a good selection of them started---but they will not grow well in the presence of the kenya tree or any softie except mushrooms---and I'm suspicious of them.) Easiest to maintain a tank with all stonies or all softies: mixing brings this sort of trouble, and never gets the best growth, ime.

Thanks Sk8r

I'll try to place him in my QT see what happens. I'll see if I can trade with others on the forum.

Kenya tree is the culprit for sure. They frag themselves and are a pain in the butt. Most softies like those will kill other corals and sps

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

BTW, don't frag off that dead head: sometimes they produce tissue from deep inside the skeleton. Not always. But sometimes. Also, if you can find the popped head, put it in a shallow glass bowl in the tank and don't disturb it. A head can regrow skeleton as skeleton can sometimes regrow a head.

Back