Frozen food Auto feeder...

a collaboration of ideas has resulted in a genius device that may very well change the way we feed fish in this hobby!

Imagine using silicone 1/2 inch hemisphere molds to make frozen fish food balls. Any choice of food recipe would do. Then once you take them out of the mold, you could wet the flat sides and form them into 1/2 inch diameter balls of frozen food.

Once you made the frozen balls, then you could place one ball for every feeding that you want. 1 for once a day, and two for twice a day, into this contraption.

You can load as many balls as you want for feedings. And control the hopper any way you want. I even think you could use a painball hopper if you would like.

The spherical shape keeps the balls from sticking to each other long term. :bounce1::bounce2::crazy1::celeb3:

What do you think!? I bet this would work awesomely!

Aaron

I would be concerned about the food balls getting stuck together in the "hopper" and jamming up. Also if I understand properly the chute the balls slide down will not have water flow so it may get dirty or have a slow buildup of junk, salt creep, maybe even ice depending how cold it gets, that's the benefit of Weast's design is that it always has flow through it so it's self-cleaning to some extent. I'm not a huge DIY'er so I could be wrong or misunderstand something, just some thoughts I had looking at that diagram.

I dont know those pelter fridges at all!!

however I have had a pelter device running for about 13 years non stop now, I suspect (again dont know) that any longevity issues could be fixed by someone with the DIY skill/desire to build such an autofeeder :p

I would be concerned about the food balls getting stuck together in the "hopper" and jamming up. Also if I understand properly the chute the balls slide down will not have water flow so it may get dirty or have a slow buildup of junk, salt creep, maybe even ice depending how cold it gets, that's the benefit of Weast's design is that it always has flow through it so it's self-cleaning to some extent. I'm not a huge DIY'er so I could be wrong or misunderstand something, just some thoughts I had looking at that diagram.

I'm green with envy about Steve's set up. I just think these are two different animals. Steve's is feeding liquid food, This would be for feeding frozen food. Neither system would be free of maintainance. But if you are accustomed to feeding frozen food, then this could buy you a couple of days on the road without resorting to that well wishing neighbor. It would most likely need to be cleaned once a week to keep it running correctly.

Thanks for the comments.
Aaron

I dont want to do anything involving frozen cubes. I would want to use tawed frozen food, like a soup of foods.

The only problem Im seeing now do doing a system like Uhuru's got on his NFS tank is that Ive heard frozen food will only keep for a week or two thawed in the fridge. I would want at least a months worth to make this worth while....

Can anyone confirm?

Would you eat thawed shellfish or fish after sitting in the fridge for a week? Not me.

A week sitting in the fridge thawed is way to long.

something like this for strictly frozen foods should be a stopgap or temporary measure i think. Some kids out in virginia i think did their thesis on this for an electronics class. They actually built a working model complete with peltiers and microcontrollers. It even had a complete parts list with it. I'll see if i can find it when i get home.

Guys, I am playing with this idea for quite a while and here are my thoughts:
Delivering frozen cubes: not a a good idea beside being very difficult.
Delivering thawed food - possible. So far my thinking goes to build an insulated box (wood + drywall insulation ?). Inside I will have at the bottom a small computer fan having two small magnets for steering the liquid. On the top of the electromagnetic steerer a plastic container (about 1 gal) with an IceProbe mounted close to the bottom.
Inside the container obviously the stick for steering and a small pump for delivering the liquid.

Doubts at this time:
IceProbe; can one unit bring a gallon of water under 40F ?

I will be using my Arduino controller for liquid temperature measurement & IceProbe control as well as feeding time.

The liquid food will be delivered directly in the sump and the recirculation pump will push it to the tank.

What do you think ?

cheers,
Marian

The snow cone making machines are the little hand crank ones that kids use, they scrape of ice shavings.......

Funny....... Not a single comment:

If I wanted to build one, here is what I would do:

1 - cheap dorm fridge for the freezer & cold sections, has to sit above the tank that is to be fed.

2 - Snow-cone making machine ( the kind you turn the crank & ice comes out the bottom ) run by timer/controller with a motor.

3 - Peristaltic pump ( as mentioned above ).

You would load a frozen block of food into the snowcone machine that sits in the freezer section. When timer #1 turns ON, it "grinds" X-amount of food that drops into a hopper (food receiver). Timer #1 turns off.

Timer #2 then turns on the peristaltic pump that pumps tank water up to the food receiver and it melts & drains to the tank thru a large diameter pipe (1/2").

Put a water level limit switch in the receiver and make it so the cycle cant run if the limit switch is tripped ( this would indicate a clogged outflow )

This keeps the frozen food in the frozen section and the "grinded" food still in refrigerated section so no food spoils.

Stu

AND I thought about it some more. You dont need an expensive peristaltic pump for this application.
A cheap powerhead in the display would work.

Maybe one of these things could be used to feed a jelly fish tank. They sell the frozen food to feed them, and say to feed once a day, but an auto feeder seems better.

If I tried making one, I'd do something like what cape said. The last episode i watched of the LAFish guys showed a freezie pop style brick of food for the jellies. I would imagine you could make your food up, freeze it into like a 1 inch cylynder, and in a freezer unit have 2 main parts:
1 - tube cut in half for food to rest in with some type of arm to push it
2 - a cutter peice and a chute for it to fall down.

So the action would go:
Push food stick forward x distance (longer = more food)
Cutter down to cut food, cutter up to reset
Food could then fall to whatever device you prefer for dispensing.
You could have it do a variety of things from there, fall into a small container with tank water to stir for a bit, or whatever, but just that as a basis.

Very similar to the 1/2 inch cube idea dogstar had. For some reason I keep wanting to think of using Legos to complete this action :p

none yet. Ive been too busy to get started on anything and ive been emailing frozen food companies to try and see how long the foods will stay freash at 35°-45°F

Back