Fs/ft aquarium and eel

ErosJN

Hey guys, I have a standard 75 gallon with stand and PC light that I'm looking to trade or sell. The tank is in excellent condition (with a little cleaning) and stand is 9/10. I purchased the aquarium for $300 and used for several months before upgrading to a 210 gallon. I'd prefer trading for one or some of the following:
Emp angel
Queen angel
P blue/brown tang
Yellow tang
Purple tang
Naso tang
Assorted tangs, corals, inverts and nems and other fish(PM with offers)

Second up is a 18-24 inch snowflake eel I've had since it was tiny. Doesn't bother any of my fish or inverts (have a harlequin shrimp in same aquarium, smells him while eating starfish but leaves him alone). The reason I'd like to get rid of him is because I plan on adding smaller and sand dwelling fish and wouldn't want to risk it. I'd take smaller inexpensive fish for him such as chromis, damsels, clowns, gobies etc. if interested in purchasing either the setup or eel, PM With offers. I'll attempt to get photos up as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Eros

IME snowflakes eat primarily crustaceans. I also have a rather large snowflake eel and a zebra eel housed with other smaller slow moving fish and they have no interest in them. You can also tell by their mouths that they are more designed for crushing shells and what not as they dont have teeth. Just thought id post my .02 just incase you enjoyed having the eel. Good luck with the sale

I actually do enjoy him. What crustaceans do yours eat? I'm feeding mine on silversides and raw cut up fish from the market. I've never seen him go for any of my hermits, crabs, or snails.. I have blue legs, scarlets, 1 electric blue, and 1 Halloween hermit that he absolutely shows no interest in.

I did purchase a smaller 6 line last week that I saw for 2 days then he vanished. During the time I had him I saw him picking around the live rock and my only conclusion is that he went close to the eels lair and got eaten, this is what prompted me to put him up. The damsels, clowns, and hippo that he's been with since a baby he doesn't seem to check out unless it's feeding time.

I used to feed silversides but i was going thru bags of them like crazy. I now feed them raw shrimp that i buy in bags from publix. I also have no clean up crew in my tank except a large red brittle star. From time to time the brittle star will be missing a leg, i suspect its from one of the eels but the leg on the star grows back. Between my eels and the puffer they wiped out my entire clean up crew so i purchased a small foxface lo and a coral beauty to help keep the rocks clean. I have heard some people state that they have had snowflakes go after smaller fish but from what ive read and my experience, fish isnt really on their menu, its more of a last resort to get food. I keep my eels well fed and ive never had an issue with aggression, even during feeding time. As for your wrasse id say, unless he got trapped in the rock work, he should have been fast enough to escape the eel (unless he was small like the silversides you were feeding). Live aquaria says they will eat small fish they can fit in their mouths. I know my small coral beauty swims in and out of my eels lairs all day long.

As for feeding i buy the medium sized shrimp in 1lb frozen bags. I dethaw 2 shrimp once a day or once every other day (depends on when i get home from work) once dethawd i peel the shell off the shrimp and feed one whole shrimp to each eel. When i was feeding them silversides the eels still seemed hungry. Since feeding them medium sized shrimp ive noticed they dont look for food as often.

Not trying to talk you into keeping the snowflake, ive had an eel eat one of my favorite fish and it sucked. But that was a white mouth eel, and fish was #1 on their menu, it was my mistake to add it. Ive had the snowflake for 3 years now and the zebra eel for almost a year.

Last edited:
Cool, cool. That's funny, this eel isn't big on thawed shrimp, he loves his fish tidbits though!

Not the best photo but here's the aquarium and stand in the middle of breaking down (PC light fixture sits on top form end to end)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 0
Back