Full Spectrum LED Build-MakersLED-Meanwell LDD-Apex Control

I'll cut it down a bit...perhaps 90-95...I can always throttle them down. I have a few more q's for you guys...

- what do run for moonlights?
- when you turn your lights off for the night do you dim to zero or do you power down the power supply completely?

-Chris

I'll cut it down a bit...perhaps 90-95...I can always throttle them down. I have a few more q's for you guys...

- when you turn your lights off for the night do you dim to zero or do you power down the power supply completely?

-Chris

Personally I think that is way too many LEDs for your tank size.
Doh! I can't Believe I missed the tank size. That is indeed way more than you need. For reference, I currently have 66 (62 and 4 moonlights) emitters on a standard 90 gal. 48x18, 24 tall so I have similar surface area and 1/3 more depth. My channels are all running between 45 and 60%. I'll be adding a couple more LEDs in the future but not because I need the light, just to get the color temp where I want it without cranking the one channel up higher than the others.

Also, I am not sure that I would waste the time and money with that many violet LEDs. IMO they really do not add much and certainly not enough to justify 20 of them. I have 12 of the on my fixture and am getting ready to replace them with other colors. If you do decide to use them make sure that you run them under 700ma or they will melt the lenses and burn out.
I disagree. This wavelength is at the edge of the visible spectrum, meaning the human eye doesn't "see" it that well. This does not mean that the light is not there or is of no use, violet (~420nm) is known to be used for photosynthesis by several pigments. 20 is overkill in this case, but only because there is too much of everything. For this tank size, you could probably cut everything in half.

-Chris

I'm using 4 XT-E RB for moonlights, 2 strings of 2 on a LDD-300H. My RA is set up to max out at 40% for a full moon and drop down to 2% for a new moon. It's still a little bright, I may lower it some more or I may add a third string of 2 and mount them over my fuge. I'm also considering swapping them out for Luxeon Cool Blues, the RBs don't seem to be the best color choice.

All 3 channels are controled by my RA and are using the parabola program, they start at zero and ramp up to their peak setting, then drop back down to zero at night. My power supply stays on, it has to, it also powers my moonlight driver. I could have used a seperate power supply for the moonlights but I wanted to minimize the number of cables going to the fixture. My drivers are all mounted in the fixture and I have only a 2 conductor cable (lamp cord) from the power supply and a CAT 5 from the RA going to it. I haven't wired my fans yet, heat has not been a problem, but they will need a 12v source or I'll need to find some fans that can use the 48V supply.

Thx Dave for the tips. I'll be adding a Moonlight string as well.

Btw my long term goal is color control, photography is my passion and I want some control over my imaging, however also I don't believe we (collectively) have this all figured out yet either. With my design I will have 8 channels of control using my Apex and I fully expect to be changing things up in the future....7 colors for now, more later...That RA controller looks nice...

I haven't wired my fans yet, heat has not been a problem, but they will need a 12v source or I'll need to find some fans that can use the 48V supply.

Use a 12v step down converter. They are like $3 on ebay. It will take the 48v source and convert to 12v, so you can use 1 power supply to power everything. I also wish I knew of these for my first build.

Search for something like DC -DC HRD Converter 24v 36v 48v Step Down To 12v 3A Switching Power Module

I disagree. This wavelength is at the edge of the visible spectrum, meaning the human eye doesn't "see" it that well. This does not mean that the light is not there or is of no use, violet (~420nm) is known to be used for photosynthesis by several pigments. 20 is overkill in this case, but only because there is too much of everything. For this tank size, you could probably cut everything in half.

I've actually ran them for almost the last year and noticed no improvement in growth, but your mileage may vary.

Thx Dave for the tips. I'll be adding a Moonlight string as well.

Btw my long term goal is color control, photography is my passion and I want some control over my imaging, however also I don't believe we (collectively) have this all figured out yet either. With my design I will have 8 channels of control using my Apex and I fully expect to be changing things up in the future....7 colors for now, more later...That RA controller looks nice...

Apex only has 4 channels of control. You would need another VDM module for 8.

The Jarduino program I'm using is perfect for the LDDs. It provides a touchscreen with GUI, which commercial fixtures and the Apex don't even use yet. It accepts PWM, so no converter is needed. It also does 7 channels, and has a lunar cycle built into it, which is another module you would have to buy for the Apex. The entire arduino mega and LCD kit only costs $50 from ebay. The program is freely available. Much thanks to the guy who wrote it.

My screen is busted and needs replacement, but how cool is this? You can adjust the slider bars up and down with your fingers, and you can set your brightness intervals every 15 minutes.

IMG_20121125_204921.jpg

Thx BH. I am considering this Jarduino...I've been studying it for a while. I already have the Apex and was planning on 2 VDM's and 2 of the Steve Harness Controllers...its getting pricey though! I may take your advice. Thx

2 neptune vdms = $200
1 neptune LSM lunar module w 5 moonlight leds= $109
2 harness controllers = $90
No GUI
$400

Sainsmart or similar arduino mega 2560 kit with LCD
GUI
$50

No brainer.

I hear ya!...but no ipad ap with the arduino...lol I actually have arduino experience with some of my remote space shuttle launches and am working on a motion rail/dolly system for some time lapse work in the future. You get a lot for your money with that little chip....

Here is my latest thoughts....I reduced the numbers of LEDs to the point where I can support all the LDD's with a single PS...saves $'s as well...and simplified with the arduino controller.

LED Build3.jpg

Hi guys....I am finally ready for my build and am hoping to order my LEDs early next week... I would love to have a gut check on my final design.

I already have a 36inch MakersLed Fix, it has been anodized black and looks AWESOME! I'll post some pics in a bit...

I also have a bunch of MW LDD drivers (see below) and a MW power supply is on its way.....the 3-1100's are for the Blues (30), 2-700's are for the NW's (15) and 2-700's for OCW's (6ea), and 1-600 are for the HV's...the 350 is for moonlights but I haven't figured that out what do do there yet. Right now I am still leaning towards controlling these with my Apex, a VDM, and a harness controller from Steve's....but an Arduino (or J version) solution is also possible...any new designs out there I should be looking at?

(w/40deg) Cree 3 Up - Royal Blue x 2, Neutral White 15
(w/60deg) Exotic OCW - Red. Turquoise, Blue 6
(w/60deg) True Hyper Violet (425nm) 12

Meanwell LDD-1000 Drivers 3
Meanwell LDD-700 Drivers 4
Meanwell LDD-600 Drivers 1
Meanwell LDD-350 Drivers 1
Power Supply 48v 350W 6.3A

I ordered my Arduino parts today...I'm going to give it a shot. Thx bhazard451 for the help! All I need now is to land on my LED's. I'm considering using separate stars instead of the OCW and 3Ups in order to have better optic options. Thoughts?

I'd get separate stars so you can control the led channels separately on the arduino. It technically has a red, green, and light blue channel. That's what I did.

Definitely following along this one. I was in the same boat as you with the Apex. After doing the math, I am going with the Jarduino instead. Been working on my eBay shopping list for all of the parts. Mind sharing the links to where you got yours? I can't decide if I want the Genuine Mega board, or one of the knock offs.

Back