Garage frag system build

acroman

I've always wanted to do a frag system, but due to finances, the ex, and lack of time nothing really happened.

I got the tubs about 8-9 months ago, as well as a 2hp chiller and some pumps from work that were headed to the dumpster... and took it as a sign to clean out my garage.

Kq2eU3Wh.jpg
Munchkin for size reference

A9i823th.jpg

Testing the layout

5FV7qTvh.jpg

The gel coat was peeling, so i had to scrape and sand all the tubs to remove the old gel coat.

ppoWNhKh.jpg

Primed, Painted, and Plumbed!

bUGVraTh.jpg

Turf scrubber (version 1)

EXtz1wTh.jpg

Side of turf scrubber (still version 1)

JaE5cDKh.jpg

Water system

SnBX6vuh.jpg

Ready for hydro-testing!

Last edited:
qRo1bvzh.jpg

Turf scrubber testing (version 1.x)

sJ961Fxh.jpg

Water!

8myuFZqh.jpg

More water!

oDmI2aCh.jpg

I like arrows....

bDokbgfh.jpg

Super sweet pvc pipe light scaffolding

tUNksRxh.jpg

Added saltwater, started cycling

9TFrWTBh.jpg

Lights!!!

hJKfjQFh.jpg

Time to start wiring...

WJ7XWGlh.jpg

Several beers later...

NK0ddGEh.jpg

Ready for power!

8zfZsbNh.jpg

BOOM! (please excuse the sink full of dirty dishes :thumbsup: )

hbz1g9Dh.jpg

40% power 50W Actinic hybrid multichip LED

Gkq06F1h.jpg

40% power (again)

REUjKZyh.jpg

Bright!

cEIFcYYh.jpg

Lights up my whole street at night...

aOx6Xfgh.jpg

bunch of rock in the sump

o3Oq5rjh.jpg

front

HclpMtFh.jpg

Ex-wife's walk-in closet, re-purposed as a microalgae grow room. :dance:

Currently awaiting a back-ordered driver, and repairing the chiller.

I left town for Easter weekend, and (stupid) didn't realize (in Florida) that i would get hot....
Long story short, chillers require ventilation... which doesn't happen in a closed garage... and i burnt out the compressor fan and a cap on the control board.

I have a summer plan for ventilation, i just didn't realize i would need it so soon.... so last night i fixed it (by fixed, i mean i installed 2 box fans in the attic to suck in from the garage. The garage door has a 2x4 giving it an 1/5" airgap)

This is sweet. Give new meaning to grow house. hhahaah. I am building the same lights for my 300 they look like plenty of power. What light you using for your turf scrubber? I see some red led and am curious. I am in Palm Bay and will be seeing you when you got some frags for sale.

[/I]

How many mm are your 50 watts? You may not want it just venting into your attic. I look forward to your updates

great looking setup. I would love to know more about your led lighting and how to picked the multi chip, built it, etc. will you do doing a variety of corals or all of the same type?

Who has time for dishes when you're building a set up like that! :) :) Great work mate! I tell ya what though, it did get hot really quick this "spring" if you can call it that :D Cheers, and update as you progress! :)

This is sweet. Give new meaning to grow house. hhahaah. I am building the same lights for my 300 they look like plenty of power. What light you using for your turf scrubber? I see some red led and am curious. I am in Palm Bay and will be seeing you when you got some frags for sale.

[/I]

heh i'm actually in Palm Bay too ... *updates profile*

The lights for the scrubber are 36w red/blue... i believe its 9 red and 3 blue... something like that.

I keep waiting for Palm Bay's finest to come knocking, after seeing the purple glow under the garage door :uhoh3:

They have been to my house 3 times in the last 6 years. My wife just lets them in and they walk around and thats it.

Nice setup acroman! Dang the price was right wish I could luck onto a deal like that. Also noticed in the 1st pic you already have a frag :) I have two but mine are in late stage grow out, trying to get them to color up nicely LOL...

Go aquaculture!! Super interested in these multichips. Would love to see before and after growth rates. Also I noticed what looked like an ats sheet in one of your bins, how come that's in there? You concerned about having all the systems connected? Do you have a qt for your corals? I say this because at one point I imported direct and got massive amounts of pests.

Go aquaculture!! Super interested in these multichips. Would love to see before and after growth rates. Also I noticed what looked like an ats sheet in one of your bins, how come that's in there? You concerned about having all the systems connected? Do you have a qt for your corals? I say this because at one point I imported direct and got massive amounts of pests.

The ATS sheet in the tank was due to breaking the ATS box... The ATS is pretty experimental, and (can) be used as a surge device. The problem was that the grey stuff that i thought was acrylic, turned out to be PVC... which did NOT play well with the acrylic-only adhesive that i used.... o well, i suppose there's always gen 2.

I don't have a qt set up yet, at this point; everything will be getting an Iodine dip, and close inspection as a first and second line of defense BEFORE touching my system. I will also have a wrasse or two in each tub to help as biological control.... I do have a spare VHO fixture that i could use in the future, but my live-feed dosing should probably come online first.

The leds are EPILED 50W multichip hybrids (20 chips 20000K + 30 chips 447nm-450nm Royal blue)

I have them running in parallel at 4 per Meanwell HLG-240H-B, using a simple pot for dimming. (I had concerns about Chinese drivers from efficiency, durability, and safety standpoints)

Lenses are 90 degree, heatsinks came from the Chinese vendor that i bought the chips from. They are fairly well put together, and seem to cool well, even when i crank up the power.

Back