Getting strange results from API ammonia test.


New member
I use the API tests. The kit is only about 3 months old. When I test the water in my DT it works fine. But when I test the water in my QT rather than a shade of green I get this watered down milky color which doesn't correspond to any color on the chart.


Any idea what would cause this? I don't want to put anything in here until I figure out what's causing this. If I change the water the ammonia looks good at first but then goes to this color. Both nitrites and nitrates read 0.


Say no to clove polyps
I get the same thing on my API test in my 75. It's good. My guess is that it's truly 0 ammonia. If I do the same test in my 20 gal. I get the color for 0 on the chart. Probably minute traces of ammonia but not enough to accurately detect or cause any harm.


Premium Member
I think I've seen this issue reported before. My recollection is that it's not a problem, and the ammonia level is fine.


New member
I've used copper before, but don't believe it's still there. Washed the tank with hot water, vinegar, soap and bleach in that order. QT'd a number of inverts recently with no problem so I'd say I got the copper off the glass