GHL Mitras Club

If I pm you my email, can you just send me the file?

This thread is huge... will take me forever to find it...

Cheers,
C

4b4f2668e21da8f1a35002ab16b1d8c0.jpg
ffe1d2c703ea55c210168cb64d5c21c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I created a light program that mimics the Ecotech Coral Labs AB+ schedule. I've added a 1/2 hour of royal blue on the front and back end of the schedule as part of the ramp up and down. I haven't been running it that long but it seems to be doing well. Mostly frag sticks that are encrusting and coloring up nicely. I ran a Mitras using this light schedule side by side with a G4 pro and to my eyes it was pretty similar if not spot on.

Hopefully link works.
Give it a try if you like.
Rob

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l2htczwzszkahlt/New light composer project AB+ Schedule.lpc?dl=0

Link working on my end. Any issues let me know.

I created a light program that mimics the Ecotech Coral Labs AB+ schedule. I've added a 1/2 hour of royal blue on the front and back end of the schedule as part of the ramp up and down. I haven't been running it that long but it seems to be doing well. Mostly frag sticks that are encrusting and coloring up nicely. I ran a Mitras using this light schedule side by side with a G4 pro and to my eyes it was pretty similar if not spot on.

Hopefully link works.
Give it a try if you like.
Rob

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l2htczwzszkahlt/New light composer project AB+ Schedule.lpc?dl=0

Link working on my end. Any issues let me know.

Thanks for the file.

BTW, how did you match the spectrum? Did you match the spectrum using the graph in Light Composer, or did you verify with a Seneye or Apogee? Not nitpicking at all, especially since GHL did a pretty good job matching the program "œtheoretical spectrum" to the light's actual output, but I have a Seneye I can play with over the next few days and report back"¦

Recent post was deleted but it was asking how I got to this spectrum. Nothing scientific, no spectrum analyzer used. I just put all violets and blues @ 100% and whites, red and green @ 24% just like the Radions are set at for the AB+ schedule.

Everyone talking about my post? I thought I saw some strange happenings yesterday, but it looks like it is still there (for me anyway).

I’m curious why so many folks run these lights perpendicular (front to back) on their tanks instead of parallel to the tank( sideways). I’m running two over a 60 deep (36 inches long) and I just have them centered over the two halves of the tank (the tank has a cross brace). Is there an advantage to running them in that direction?

I run in high efficiency mode at 90%. I think I could fry everything if I really cranked these babies. I almost feel like I should dial it back even to 80.

I mostly just went off [MENTION=225253]slief[/MENTION] recomendations as I know he has a lot of experience with these.

I believe its to get better light penentration at the bottom around the perimeter.

For me, it also gives me better access to the controls, should I ever need them.

So I am hoping I am missing something here, but is it not possible to do a light composition without being physically connected to the light?

I was hoping to tweak some things, but if I have to do it while hardwired to the fixture, it's going to be rather tedious. .

So I am hoping I am missing something here, but is it not possible to do a light composition without being physically connected to the light?

I was hoping to tweak some things, but if I have to do it while hardwired to the fixture, it’s going to be rather tedious. .

There is a way to get to their online site to do the light composer, all wirelessly. I could never get it to work which means I have to connect using USB wires to a PC laptop, versus a Macbook. Fortunately, only have to do it once every couple of months, and less frequently over time.

I was hoping to tweak some things, but if I have to do it while hardwired to the fixture, it's going to be rather tedious. .

If your lights are connected to your wifi netword and particularly the master light, you can use Light Composer via the widnows program to make changes to a light composer project and save that to the light and create a backup file on your computer. You can also use MyGHL cloud program to connect to a Wifi Connected light and make changes to the lights program but you cannot change a composer file via the cloud. When setting the lights up on WiFi, it's best to set a static IP. You can also make changes to the light from the new GHL Connect App and if the lights are connected to MyGHL, you can make those changes from anywhere. Not just from your home network. But keep in mind that GHL Composer which is through GHL Control Center (GCC) is currently the only way to create a file based backup of your lights settings so any changes you make through the web/cloud cannot be saved in a project file. Those changes can only be saved to the light. In my opinion, GCC is the best method of making those changes so yiou can create file based backups that you can later use for a restore or modify as you go along. I never make changes through the app of MyGHL. Granted, I haven't made changes to my lights settings in nearly a year anyways. But again, once you setup on Wifi, you can make changes from GCC without being connected via USB and youn can make changes via the cloud of GHL App.

Also if you are running the latest firmware along with the latest WiFi firmware, power settings such as high output mode and power balancing are now controlled through the master and no longer have to be set on each individual light. This has nothing to do with Wifi but it is a new feature included in the latest firmware.

GHL Mitras Club

Man, that's a huge downside imo. We shouldn't have to be connected to the light at all to create a schedule.

I want to play with it from my comfy chair ( or office desk) and be able to load the file later.

It's not the most intuitive platform, not being able to play with it is a bummer.

Man, that’s a huge downside imo. We shouldn’t have to be connected to the light at all to create a schedule.

I want to play with it from my comfy chair ( or office desk) and be able to load the file later.

It’s not the most intuitive platform, not being able to play with it is a bummer.

You don’t have to be physically connected to the light as long as it’s connected to your Wifi network. And if it is connected to your Wifi network, you can make changes to the light schedule and see those changes in realtime before even saving those changes to the light. You can even scroll through the entire light schedule with or without saving it to light and see what it looks like over your tank. And if you just want to tweak a light schedule wihtout seeing on the light that makes no sense. But I see what you are saying. I know Kessil requries you to be connected as do most other fixtures but GCC doesn’t currently allow you to make a project file change without the lights being connected to the network or via cable and estabilishing a wireless connection to that light. And this makes some sense too since some of us have Mitras over multiple tanks and each tank has different light requirements. In my case, my frag tank needs less intensity due to it’s depth than my main display.

But even so, if your computer is on the network and the lights are on the network, I don’t see what the issue is with opening up GCC, clicking the device in GCC, opening up a project file and tweaking it and saving it as a file without saving to the light if that is what you want to do. Its just one additional step in clicking on a device to connect to before making changes. If I make a change to a channel, I want to see what those changes look like over the tank before I save them to a file or to the fixtures. In 10 years of running LED’s, the thought has never occured to me to modify light programming without seeing what those changes look like on the lights themselves. Especially since ligthing is very critical and changing light settings should be done carefully and not blindly. And GCC is the only light program as far as I am aware that lets you create file based light programming that can be modifed and saved to the lights to your computer. In addition to being able to modify the lights programming from an App or the cloud where as most other lights are either only app or cloud based programming. And make no mistake, I have Kessils here, I have AI’s, Radions and have installed all those and more and the Mitras as they sit now offer the widest range of programming options compared to ANY fixrure on the market. None are perfect but the Mitras with App, Cloud and GCC are the most flexible and GCC is my favorite method of light programming compared to ANY light I have used or tested to date and I’ve played with pretty much all of them.

Last edited:
Yeh. The file save/load is fantastic. And being able to run it through real time to see it is great too.

All that makes me want to set up multiple schedules with small tweaks and run them through to see which one I like.

I'll have to get the wifi set up. That will make it more conveinent.

The whole platform is awesome, it is just so conducive to be being able to play with files anytime, anywhere,
that it would be great if we could.

Yeh. The file save/load is fantastic. And being able to run it through real time to see it is great too.

All that makes me want to set up multiple schedules with small tweaks and run them through to see which one I like.

I’ll have to get the wifi set up. That will make it more conveinent.

The whole platform is awesome, it is just so conducive to be being able to play with files anytime, anywhere,
that it would be great if we could.

Do get the Wifi setup. Make sure you update to the latest firmware and you have to do the second step of updating the wifi firmware also. That file is included with the latest version of GCC as is the latest firmware. So you download and install the latest version of GCC and with that will be the latest LX7 firmware and latest wifi firmware. And video instructions for updating both can be found at the GHL USA Youtube page.

The entire GHL product line is moving towards a more web based approach and my hope is that all the features of GCC including composer will be incorperated into a web based interface so you can literally create composer projects from anywhere. Though as neat as that sounds, I still wouldn’t make any light based channel porgamming changes without being able to see those changes on the lights over the tank first. For me, lighting changes are a very methotical and thought out process and its not something I would just do for the sake of making a change unless I see what those changes look like first. Especially since I have a very large tank stocked full of thriving corals. I wouldn’t risk making a change away from my tank without it being deliberate and planned and being able to see those changes is part of that process for me.

Last edited:
Has anyone here previously had Orpheks and switched to Mitras? Also I have a 185cm x 80cm x 85cm tall tank. How many would I need? I guess 4 and am considering supplementing wi5h T5s using on did the new T5 Hybrid fixtures.

Has anyone here previously had Orpheks and switched to Mitras? Also I have a 185cm x 80cm x 85cm tall tank. How many would I need? I guess 4 and am considering supplementing wi5h T5s using on did the new T5 Hybrid fixtures.

Never had Orpheks but I think 4 LX7's would do pretty well over that sized display with our without the T5's. I assume when you are talking about the T5 Hybrids, you are talking about these? If so, I've seen them and they are pretty nice when coupled with the Mitras!

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/products/ghl-illumination/aquaticlife-t5ho-hybrid/

Sounds good and yes the T5 hybrids that I have in mind are the Aquatic Life or the Giesemann Stellar. Thanks for the reply.

Back