Gigantea ammonia prevention during treatment

bfliflet

I am curious if anyone who's treated giganteas, successfully or unsuccessfully, with antibiotics has had any issues with ammonia prevention. The reason I mention this is that my first gigantea reacted very negatively to Seachem's AmGuard. I added some based on the ambiguity of the lowest level of ammonia test kits. I figured it couldn't hurt. The tentacles immediately shortened. The disc inflated as though it was taking water in. I thought the water must have had some ammonia issues and I was doing the right thing. I kept up this protocol (a little dose of AmGuard post a partial WC from DT) and the anemone always reacted this way, never really improved and died quite a while later -- sadly it was crazy resilient. At the time, I figured the antibiotic wasn't working.

My second gigantea was a little healthier but still deflated shortly after purchasing and I started the same treatment and protocol. When I saw a similar reaction, I decided to try the AmGuard *before* doing the water change. It reacted negatively so I did a water change and it improved rapidly back to the pre-Amguard state. My final experiment was to switch to Ammonia remover pads avoiding Amguard. The anemone never reacted negatively and with continued antibiotic treatment shortly returned to a healthy state. It has since been added to the DT and continues to do well.

I am posting this in hopes it helps someone else not make the same mistake I did in not recognizing what was going on. I am also interested in how other people deal with potential ammonia issues such as sloughing off tissue, decay, etc. Just siphoning and partial water changes? I like the added security of the ammonia remover pads even though they may not be necessary.

Hi, this is very interesting, I am treating a gigantea and thinking in using amguard, many thanks for your information. Please, can you describe the Ammonia remover pads and where I could find them

I used to use ammonia badges in the QT tanks when I treated gigs, but they never registered any ammonia so I removed them. I would not add any type of ammonia remover/neutralizer because the results are not predictable, and may even impact the effectiveness of the antibiotic.

Given that the standard protocol requires daily water changes, you shouldn't have any problems with ammonia. If you see it rising, it's better to do a water change instead of adding any chemicals.

I used to use ammonia badges in the QT tanks when I treated gigs, but they never registered any ammonia so I removed them. I would not add any type of ammonia remover/neutralizer because the results are not predictable, and may even impact the effectiveness of the antibiotic.

Given that the standard protocol requires daily water changes, you shouldn't have any problems with ammonia. If you see it rising, it's better to do a water change instead of adding any chemicals.

+1. The solution to ammonia in treatment is daily 100% water changes, which should be done anyway for purposes of dosing antibiotic.

Back