Gigas - any sources?

I knew at least tow people whose gigas grew so large that they could not be removed from the tank - both weight and inability to get past the tank cross struts. It becomes a real problem.

This is a very true statement. I am running into this same situation.

Requirement of extra equipment for gigas owners,

1. A small portable crane
2. A bigger, extra tank to put livestock in when the original tank needs to be smashed to get into.

What happened?

One had the clam die due to a power loss from Hurricane Sandy; entire tank was toast so he de-articulated the two sides of the bivalve and removed it that way (a thoroughly gross task). The other one I have not spoken with the owner in a few years, so cannot say for sure. Last I saw the tank (a standard 180) the Gigas was pushing 30" in length. By now it must be 36" if still alive and well past the point of fitting past the cross strut. At 30" I recall him saying he figured it weighed over 100 pounds. My back hurts just thinking about that.

They are not for the conventional home reef...

But if you have a setup that accommodates it (crane and all), ...

Renting an engine hoist might work! Sad you can't get gigas, but I would have to have one... In a custom tank so my wallet is glad they are not available.

If I can ever a afford a 72x72x25, I might consider a gigas as a centerpiece. I don't think very many people should own them, so if they return the aquarium trade I hope the price is high enough to make people think/research before buying one.

Had it for 8 years+ since it was 2" and Sandy took it............... Couldn't get gas for the generator at the time to upkeep the temp. When I was able to get gas, it was too late......

I have one source that can get captive raised Gigas. I am waiting for my tank to be ready before I order mine. I want a Gigas and Squamosa for a focal point in the center of my 300 DD. When you look at the site, it will say out of stock. You simply place your order by phone and they will add it to their next order. Now, it's not like you get to pick, but it is available. Please PM me.
Jeff

OK, that was stupid on my part. I got slammed. lol But you all can't take them all and I want you all to post pics here if you get one. Since my tank isn't ready I will live thru you all. Anyway, I want to see what you get. I found this by accident after looking for about 6 months. I actually just tried to place an order for one and they called and said they are out of stock but are available thru one of their farms but do not normally order them as there is little demand. I'm pretty sure they would find that is not true. He said, just call their order number and order over the phone, they will check what is available and include it on the next order. I have not done this yet, but this is from what their employee told me. Use the link below and good luck!
aquariumcreationsonline.com/

Nobody's exporting them, either cultivated or wild; so no way for anyone to have any - neither now nor in the Spring. I've had a couple of places tell me 'yes we can get them' but, of course, they cannot.

I have talked to every wholesaler in the LA area, they all have the same anwer. "none expected in the foreseeable future" None of the farms are currently growing gigas for several reasons.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c8CrhtVrIkc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Zgg3-0IXxKw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back