Gigas!

The one that really wanted clams and willing to pay for it will get the best, Gigas, Maxima, Crocea or otherwise. If one wait around for the lower price, the very best is all gone. I just pointed out the lower price because I know about the shipment and that other vender offer the same clams (from the same shipment) for lower price.
Certainly Perter Lin have some of the best clams I have seen.
A clam is worth whatever you think it is worth. After 10 years the start price of 89 or 129 is about the same.
Minh

Terra Ferma said:
Wow....a lot of people seem to have a problem with the price I paid! I have no problem paying $129 + tax (I'm in Ca). Firstly, I have been looking for a gigas for a long time, and if I had to pay more than 129 for it, I would have. Second, I didnt have to pay shipping as I live very near the place I got it from. Thirdly, I like to try and give business to locals whenever possible, especially this particular store as I have gotten most of my really nice stuff from it...

LOL! You are the one that said it was more expensive than what you thought, and if anyone else wants one get it from a place that charges $40 more dollars than another...

Not that those aren't valid reasons that you mentioned that YOU bought your clam for at that price, but that doesn't mean that others will have the same reasons and want to pay an extra $40 for a clam that is of = or lesser quality.

Now "if anybody else wants one", they will know where to get one, and at a much better price.

It isn't a problem with what you paid for your clam, but rather a consideration for the other people that desire to have one of these great clams that have been so rare this year.

I don't think anyone believes that is it a problem that you WANTED to pay this price, however most others do not WANT to pay the highest price for something unless they have some really good reasons.

Keep in mind also that clams are usually priced according to their beauty.

Just because one place has a 4" clam of the same type for $40 more than somewhere else does not mean they are ripping you off.

There may be no comparison in the quality of the clams, and the more expensive ones may be a better deal.

The rare colors also run more-

They are often referred to as "Jewels of the Sea", which is quite true. Like diamonds and other valuable gems, they are priced according to the rarity, coloration, and quality of the mantle patterns.

I have also found that the cheapest wholesalers are not the best places for me to purchase clams from. Sometimes paying more for healthier, better quality animals is the best choice.

Hello all gigas owners! Just wait until those ugly ducklings get 12 inches and bigger. Then their true beauty is unbelieveable. I was lucky yes there was a rather larger shipment of gigas clams into the market. Yeah I have been waiting also over a year too! Now I finnally got some for my privite tank. The demand for the gigas clams got so large that several shipments for the food market were switch over to us the aquatic trade! I just wish they stop eating the black maximas and teardrops!
Jim

Palmetto said:
Keep in mind also that clams are usually priced according to their beauty.

Just because one place has a 4" clam of the same type for $40 more than somewhere else does not mean they are ripping you off.

There may be no comparison in the quality of the clams, and the more expensive ones may be a better deal.

The rare colors also run more-

They are often referred to as "Jewels of the Sea", which is quite true. Like diamonds and other valuable gems, they are priced according to the rarity, coloration, and quality of the mantle patterns.

I have also found that the cheapest wholesalers are not the best places for me to purchase clams from. Sometimes paying more for healthier, better quality animals is the best choice.

Yes, there is a difference in price on different grade clams, but perhaps the difference is simply the number of times that the clams had to be shipped and how many 3rd parties they had to go through before they got to their destination. This in turn results in a markup of that retailer to recover his shipping cost.

1) Some clams are directly shipped into the US at a few select airports around the US. This results in a box of "only God knows what condition they are in" clams. For the retailers that are close to these airports, they can pickup their own clams, have them checked and bring them home. This usually results in the better prices, but a lot of crap comes in those bulk shipments that many times are passed off to the customer. The prices from these places are attractive, but sometimes the clams are questionable.

2) The clams are shipped into a wholesaler which eats the cost of the questionable clams. If a retailer is close to one of these wholesalers, they can come in and hand-select the better looking, healthiest looking clams. This results in a slight increase of price over the first scenario, but better looking and healthier clams.

3) A retailer mail orders from a wholesaler. This is the only way that many retailers and LFS can get their clams. This results in clams that are marked up from a wholesaler in addition another markup will result from being shipped a second time or more. These clams are usually pretty nice clams, but not as good as hand selected and they have been submitted to much more shipping stress than the first two. What you end up with is a fairly quality clam that has been put through a lot of stress and double marked up in price.

Point being, all other things being = (health, grade, etc), shipping, greed, and quality is going to determine your cost. Number two is going to be your more desirable scenario in most cases. This will be more of a medium priced clam. :) Of course then you can also run across some number 1s, charging number 3 prices because some people are willing to pay for it. This skews everything, and the customer gets the raw end of the deal.

This is why it is important to know where your clams come from, how many times they have been shipped, having actual images of the clams, and knowing that the clams are properly taken care of while in the hands of a retailer as well as the wholesaler. Once someone knows these things, then they can justify the price they paid. While it would be a novel idea to believe the more you pay the better quality you get, but this always isnââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t the case.

In this particular case, you can go to both sites and see that the actual clams are of the same ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œgradeââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ and color. Clams Direct goes into detail about how they select their clams, Aquatic Reflections states that they hand select their livestock as well, but nothing as detailed as Clams Direct. If I was going to order from AR, I would call them up and want to know a little more. But, letââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s just give AR the benefit of the doubt and say they hand select the clams in the same way that CD does. From first glance, everything seems to be = except for price. So why would you want to pay more since the additional price is either from a higher markup or simply recovery of multiple shipping cost. For Terra Ferma, the reasons for paying more were very good. They were able to go get their clams and not have the shipped to their residence. This saves both in shipping and stress on the clam. This totally justifies paying the extra $40 for Terra. But for someone else that would have the clams shipped to their residence, what would be the incentive?

Anyway, the moral of the story is to do your homework and know WHY you are paying for something and donââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t just assume that you are getting better (prettier, healthier, etc) animal based only on the fact that it costs more.

Oh, I was not stating that paying more is always better.

I was merely stating that paying less is NOT always better.

:)

And, the rare colors still usually cost more-

Palmetto said:
Oh, I was not stating that paying more is always better.

I was merely stating that paying less is NOT always better.

And, the rare colors still usually cost more-

I don't think anyone disputed the fact that there is a difference in price between different grades and colors. This time however, this variable didn't come into play. I think that this vendor either had to recover shipping costs, or they just jacked up the price because the gigas were in short supply this year. My guess would probably be a little of both.

Sometimes I might pay a little more if I have had great experence with one vendors and know that the customer service will be there.

My thought process would be, if it's good then why change it. I have had 3 great shipments from this vendor and the follow up is top notch. It's all the extra personal attention that I have received as well as a healthy hand picked speciments.

Bottom line, shop where you are happy and where you have had great service.

Ron

I agree.

Barry is an excellent source of clams based on all the feedback I have heard from his customers, present and past. Based on the pictures on his website we share at least one vendor, but Barry is able to go hand-pick his clams - which is a luxury I wish I had!

What has been the biggest asset for Barry, though is that he has a passion for the clams and for making other people happy with clams. That is a very important piece of good customer service in this industry- having a true love of the animals and trying really hard to get the customers to be successful. Barry has built the reputation he has by making people successful with the animals he ships them, and there is nothing a customer will appreciate more in the long run.

IMHO.

Darren,

That was very nice for you to say and I know that Barry would thank you .

Have received several orders from him and you are so correct, he has a pure passion for his clams and has so much knownledge as I have spent so much time with him on the telephone since starting to keep clams, all of his advise had been very helpful. I remembered the first clam I received from him, after placing it in my tank it was gaping like a quarter and I call Barry and got him on his cell phone as he was on his way to LA and he told me that was not uncommon after shipping and if my water conditions were correct, he would be fine after 24 hrs or so and the gaping would go away. In less that 10 hours the clam closed up.

Not to say that there isn't other good vendors out there as I know there must be but have had great luck with clamsdirect.

Ron

Interesting thread. Anwways, I have question:

are clamsdirect.com and tanku.net selling marine livestock to make a living, or is it more of a weekend/evenining hobby/business?

Hi all,

Rob from eastcoastclams.com was nice enough to chime in with some advice, but too nice to say that he had some T. Gigas availvable.

I got a nice one from him the other day, and his prices are very reasonable.

Adam

Back